Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 08:23 PM

Doesn't like it!!

I'm starting to put the dogs back on a full raw diet, with Lily being a pup I was giving 50/50 meat and kibble mainly because I wanted to give Lily a good start and I suppose there's a bit of laziness involved too with her being on 3 meals a day

Lily's had mainly chicken (on the bone), fish and beef bones so far. The OH got a rabbit the day before yesterday so he skinned and chopped it up to share between the 3 of them Poppy and Kiara were straight in but Lily buried hers and went hungry

So today I acquired a pigs head, OH duly chopped it up ( he gets all the nice jobs )

This is what Pop n Kiz thought of theirs:

Lily, buried hers and has gone hungry again I will give her extra supper to make up for it but it's now been buried for 3 hrs and I was late giving them their dinner too, Lily hasn't eaten since 8 this morning and she's usually such a greedy guts She's never gone this long between meals before.

She does love her fruit and veggies though Oh and the odd baby bird she's caught She's previously turned her nose up at tripe too Will putting her on raw with just chicken wings, thighs etc, fish (tinned sardines etc she doesn't like raw fish) and beef bones be OK? Or do I need to mix up the meats???
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Mine won't eat pigs heads either. A lot of raw feeders won't feed pork at all.I have given mine pigs trotters and after looking at them suspiciously they have eaten them, but left them with half a pigs head each for a day and they never touched them, they buried them in the shavings and there they remained till I picked them up on the coal shovel, put them in a bin liner and put them in the bin. I did try them again a few years later, but still wouldn't eat them, and mine have never been known to refuse anything.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Mine won't eat pigs heads either. A lot of raw feeders won't feed pork at all.I have given mine pigs trotters and after looking at them suspiciously they have eaten them, but left them with half a pigs head each for a day and they never touched them, they buried them in the shavings and there they remained till I picked them up on the coal shovel, put them in a bin liner and put them in the bin. I did try them again a few years later, but still wouldn't eat them, and mine have never been known to refuse anything.
I can't give trotters as they go straight through Kiara but they've had other pork bits and been ok. I don't give them heads too often this is only the second time so it's not a large part of their diet but to turn her nose up at fresh rabbit too
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Whisper does just the same with bones!

She buries them but doesn't eat them! I've just started her on raw and am using the minces which already have bones and offal in. Am adding veg / fruit too. I asked on here and the general consensus was that it would be fine.

I'm feeding a variety of meats - turkey, beef. chicken and tripe with occasional tinned sardines.

I wish she would eat bones but she won't!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Depends on how she has been brought up as regards to bones. Lots of people never ever give them, so even as puppie they don't get them, maybe their mother never got them, so they quite literally have no idea what a bone is!!!! A few weeks ago I took along a bag of bones to puppy class to give to a lab breeder who goes, she was delighted with them. I asked if anyone else wanted bones (I have a freezer full of them most weeks and give a lot away) and everyone looked at me like I had suggested I gave their dogs poison and someone even went as far as to tell me that 'you shouldn't give dogs bones' me and Joy looked at each other and giggled!!!! But that is the mindset you are dealing with, yeah they will give cooked bones - or sterilised bones, they have no idea they are quite literally putting their dogs lives in danger, they think they are doing 'better' for their dogs, no idea where the ideas come from in some cases.
I would just give her bones every so often and eventually it may click with her, do you give chicken carcass, wings, thighs or quarters, that is easy for them to start off with and they get the idea sometimes through that. My puppies have bones from a few weeks old,more or less as their eyes open they'll see mum with a bone and start making their way towards and will be nibbling at it shortly after, so they know no different
Cariad will eat a rabbit with fur on, and leave the head and fur neatly folded up outside the kennel, Lona won't touch it under any circumstances unless it is jointed. Cariad won't eat fresh fish with scales, I have to cut it up and put yogurt and cottage cheese on it, Lona eats fresh fish like a seal, one gulp and it is gone. They all have their little likes and dislikes, just like us!!!!