Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:28 PM

Ben just attacked a puppy

Well, any advice info welcomed, OH just took Ben for a walk wearing his collar and halti (Ben not OH!) and the nasty wee mite just attacked a poor wee black lab pub. Appears there was no blood but one very shaken up poor pup and two very angry handlers OH and pups dad, Oh asked him to sit whilst pup past and Ben the wee S*t managed to get out of his halti and bolt towards the lab. I feel terrible. Ben now sulking in his bed, OH got glass of wine and annoyed with Ben and me and I am really annoyed with Ben even though I wasnt there .

For those who don't know Ben was attacked as a 6/7 month pup until then he was friendly but now he is a bully. What can I do? How can I top this as rightly so OH doesnt want confrontation with other dog owners .
Any advice welcomed
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Aw, hugs all round, hope you all calm down and that you, your OH Ben and the wee lab pup are ok.

In all honesty, it sounds like you could do with advice from a reputable behaviourist, if Ben is feeling that threatened by a small pup? In cases of aggression, it's best not to give advice over the net. Check out a good behaviourist.

Hugs to all.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Get a link that clips halti to collar so that the extra control is there.
Do you attend a dog club?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Aw, hugs all round, hope you all calm down and that you, your OH Ben and the wee lab pup are ok.

In all honesty, it sounds like you could do with advice from a reputable behaviourist, if Ben is feeling that threatened by a small pup? In cases of aggression, it's best not to give advice over the net. Check out a good behaviourist.

Hugs to all.
Thanks for that I am as I look between dogsey and other sites looking for a reputable behaviouralist near by.

I am so annoyed.

Cant believe Ben attacked a pup if another dog had attacked him I'd be on here ranting about it
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
Get a link that clips halti to collar so that the extra control is there.
Do you attend a dog club?
We attended classes when he was a pup but after the attack on him were advised not to come back as he was a bit aggressive/hyper with other dogs

One to one he is fine distractions are a NIGHTMARE and clearly now dangerous
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:36 PM
So sorry, I know how you feel, Zak slipped his headcollar once, he didnt exactly attack the dog but was barking in its face the poor little dog was shaking. I just felt awful. I still have him in a headcollar but have a link from it to his normal collar so if he does slip the headcallar he is still attached to the lead if you know what I mean. It is scary.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Try not to be too annoyed, Ben has his reasons and so you mustn't be cross with him, hard as that is.
Have you asked your vet if they can recommend a reputable behaviourist in your area?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
We attended classes when he was a pup but after the attack on him were advised not to come back as he was a bit aggressive/hyper with other dogs

One to one he is fine distractions are a NIGHTMARE and clearly now dangerous
that is AWFUL, I can't belive the trainers didn't offer to work with you in some way...I really do wonder about some people.

Make sure he is secure when he goes out, the clip is good, you can also get double ended training leads so you can clip one end to the halti and the other end to his lead. :smt002
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Try not to be too annoyed, Ben has his reasons and so you mustn't be cross with him, hard as that is.
Have you asked your vet if they can recommend a reputable behaviourist in your area?

I have previously asked the vet, who I have to say is great, he hasnt charged me for appointments etc when testing Bens urine when suspect kidney failure, anyways the vet said they couldnt or wouldnt reccommend anyone as if it goes wrong then I would blame the vets"

Heather thanks for your reply I do have a halti link and had stopped using it when I stopped muzzling him as the catch on it had become all rusty and gritty with being at the beach and not being allowed off lead and I just didn't replace it, stopped using the muzzle as I felt he was a bit like a prisoner and began to worry about him being attacked again and not able to defend himself thus making things worse

Maybe need to root new one out does it really work??

I just hate the idea of a pup being hurt
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2008, 10:45 PM
that is AWFUL, I can't belive the trainers didn't offer to work with you in some way...I really do wonder about some people.

Make sure he is secure when he goes out, the clip is good, you can also get double ended training leads so you can clip one end to the halti and the other end to his lead. :smt002
Any links you can pm or post for such leads? He is lying in his crate, by his own choice, he must sense the annoyance poor mite but attacking pups is not on....yeah I do realise he has his reasons but 2 years from now that poor labs owner could be a member of dogsey asking for advice coz there pup attacked as a youngster by a staf x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >