Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:40 AM

Hulk - world's biggest dog

They are supposedly featuring Hulk on "This Morning" on tv at the moment. Not sure what time slot but it may change our perception of this so called dangerous dog. I still wouldn't trust him completely around young children though. Just to let you know if you've time to watch it.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks Popster - I will have a look.

No dog of course is safe around young children, not even a chihuahua or a yorkshire terrier, it is not dependent on size.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Just seen it, nothing interesting. Owners just appeared to defend the bad press surrounding the dog and their 3 year old son.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 11:54 AM
The bad press is there for very good reasons. I make it a point to call them out whenever I see them. The Hulk and their other fake, sloppy "pit bulls" (Bandogges) are trained in bite work using e collars. This is no good, bully breeds should not be trained in bite work, and they don't know what they're doing, anyway. Moreover, they put that 3 year old on his back and force the dog to endure being ridden like a horse. I posted a scary video of it a while back... let me find it. I don't like how they breed, train, or treat those dogs, and they don't deserve any kudos at all.

Clearly distressed hulk being forced to move with the child on his back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWichcbNXgU

Here is ace, another one of these giant mutts, complete with e collar and pant sagging idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl-LNHDipEQ

I'm sorry but IMO, these people are trash and just help perpetuate stereotypes about bully breeds. They really annoy me. Check out their channel for more awful videos.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2015, 12:45 PM
Well yes these lot are a bunch of charlatans but why do you think that bull breeds should not perform bite work exactly? Bull Terriers are likely going to be temperamentally unsuitable in the majority of cases but many AB's and even a fair few Boxers have successfully completed ZWP2.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 05:03 PM
I give Boxers a break, but it's just that bully breeds, especially the pit bull were bred to harbor no human aggression. This is included but not limited to "controlled" human aggression. So many incidents happen because these dogs are encouraged to, or not discouraged from showing aggression towards humans. Do what you want to with your bully breeds, but they really were not bred for those purposes and a lot of harm is caused by them being taught to bite people, even if it's "controlled" using freaking electric shock collars.
Mr.Bulldog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2015, 08:50 PM
But they've passed ZWP2 mate, this is not really a result that can be argued with
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Good for them, but again... the bad press is around these people and anybody that trains bull breeds the way they do for a very good reason. I wish people would just stop, but they won't. Somehow, a breed that was bred to not harbor human aggression has now magically become a protection breed. Whatever. The extremely high bite statistics on these dogs in comparison to the breeds that were actually bred for human protection is a testament to the failure that has gone with that.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2015, 11:36 PM
My perception of this dog isn't going to change no matter what they are saying.
For one he isn't the largest dog by far. Obese 174lbs. There are cut dogs at 250lbs.
Second I saw the video mjfromga is talking about the the kid on his back. I had my dogs before my children so my kids have grown up around them. So obviously I've no issue with having small children & dogs together. However in the video they are stupidly forcing the dog to give the child a ride. He doesn't seem happy about it. The woman is dragging him by the collar. The point to show how big he is? And that he supposedly likes it? When you can see he doesn't.

Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Good for them, but again... the bad press is around these people and anybody that trains bull breeds the way they do for a very good reason. I wish people would just stop, but they won't. Somehow, a breed that was bred to not harbor human aggression has now magically become a protection breed. Whatever. The extremely high bite statistics on these dogs in comparison to the breeds that were actually bred for human protection is a testament to the failure that has gone with that.
As you pointed out yourself this is breeding wise a bandog. A type often used for guard & protection work (I'd say that's primarily their use). One of the "original bandogs" the Bullmastiff was created for guard work.

Now with these particular people I wouldn't want a dog bred or trained by them. I'm only saying this as you have a combo that includes very little Pit (20% maybe?), plus Dogue De Bordueax, American Bulldog (both breeds used for man work) plus who knows what else more mastiff types likely. So this isn't a Pit Bull. It's primarily from breeds that have been traditionally used for man work. They need to stop calling him a Pit Bull. He doesn't represent one in anyway.

While Pit Bulls being primarily pit dogs didn't necessitate them to be HA that isn't true of other bull breeds. American Bulldogs have been multi functional dogs for as long as they have been around that includes guarding & hunting. I've not experience with Alapaha Blue Blood but they are supposed to be guard & protection dogs also that I assume ate similar to American Bulldog.

I don't agree with bite stats. Those are not accurate. You can't rely on them as so many non Pit Bulls are thrown in. Most importantly Pit Bulls trained in sport/bite work are not the cause of the bites/increased stats. They are trained, stable dogs. Any dog can bite yes, but how often are you seeing sport dogs of ANY breed biting or killing people? What you 99% see is poorly bred, badly socialized or improperly trained dogs that are the ones biting people.
If one is encouraging their unstable dog to be HA & continues to act irresponsibly then yes that's going to lead to a possible problem. That's a lot different then a proper trained dog, who will not become HA & still be friendly, stable dog.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 02:14 PM
Met 2 of these dogs and both where very stable and non HA/DA.

But those where just 2 cases of meeting this type of dog can't speak to the majority.

My bigger concern is health issues.
Also he's not the biggest dog in the world.
In height, length or weight.
Danes are much taller, and Mastiffs are much heavier and longer.
The U.K.'s Cromwell and the U.S.'s Moose are both only 18 to 20 kg's from being twice his weight. Both Mastiffs.

My current 14 month old pup most likely outweighs him.

That being said there Mastiffs and there frames and bone are built more toward this size.