Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:40 PM

Eating Rabbit?

Would you? Do you?

Watching Clarissa Dickson-Wright on BBC2 trying to convince us to eat rabbit. One woman said she couldn't, as it had a soul...must be a vegetarian then.

Personally, i don't like it, although a friend does a mean rabbit casserole! Any we shoot goes to the ferrets or dogs.

Helen
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Yuk - never again!

My granny in Ireland used to have one of my many Uncles shoot rabbits and then she would make rabbit stew. It really upset me as a child to see the poor bunnies hanging outside the back door by their feet, and then we were forced to eat it for tea. I never enjoyed it then, and don't think I would now.

The dogs like rabbit though
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:45 PM
As a vegetarian, I don't eat personally eat rabbit (obviously ) but I do find it odd when people who do eat meat won't eat rabbit. A lot of people are very squeamish about it.

I have no problem with feeding Max rabbit when I can get wild rabbit here - it is his favourite actually!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I have no problems eating Thumper, I LOVE rabbit, NO FAT!

I like Hare too.

Delish
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
As a vegetarian, I don't eat personally eat rabbit (obviously ) but I do find it odd when people who do eat meat won't eat rabbit. A lot of people are very squeamish about it.

I have no problem with feeding Max rabbit when I can get wild rabbit here - it is his favourite actually!
Probably not aimed at me, but just to say I don't like the taste of it, hence why I say yuk! I have grown a thicker skin since I was a child/teenager.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Oh I love it, and it's become quite a delicacy, especially in Spain. I used to buy a wild one in my local butchers for £1 stuff it in a casserole with everything else, especially bacon, and I'd enjoy that for 2 days. You had to avoid the shot sometimes left in it Cheap meal, and it's very good for you, low in cholesterol. My o/h won't touch it.

Why don't we see it in the supermarkets anymore I wonder? We used to see it frozen but not anymore, you have to search around the local butchers for it nowadays.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I used to love rabbit stew as a kid, haven't had it in years though.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Probably not aimed at me, but just to say I don't like the taste of it, hence why I say yuk! I have grown a thicker skin since I was a child/teenager.
Ok, that makes more sense if it is a taste issue - I understand that it is quite strong tasting - maybe why Max likes it so much?
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I'd eat it if it was put in front of me.
Apparently I had rabbit stew once when I was very little and the thought used to horrify me when I was reminded of it as a kid because, you know, little fluffy bunnies. Nowadays I'm a bit more realistic about these things.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I do not eat rabbit for the same reason that I do not eat pork, shellfish etc - because I keep strict Kashrut [Kasher dietary laws].
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »