Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
more like collie

u didnt answer my question G.. why do u think a csv would be hard to train for recall?

btw..i had a collie bitch that was a shocker to train recall....even got in the car n drove away once...she didnt batter an eyelid..yes collies are clever,too clever for their own good..biddable..im not so sure about that.
Don't be such a bitch Tupacs, you do yourself no favours.

What question? Sorry, have I missed something. I have never owned a pure CSV so therefore I would not dream of commenting - until one has experienced something, I find in it is probably best not to make assumptions

However, I have had experience of CSV crosses, and I found them to be very like Hal, not very interested in pleasing YOU, only pleasing themselves! I assumed this would be a trait of a pure czechie, apologies if I am wrong

Perhaps biddable might not be quite the right word to describe a collie - I think an enormous desire to please would be better - however, I am sure there are collies who are exactly the opposite of this description! All the collies I have ever known have been supremely intelligent and very obedient, including the one we owned, Bertie.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
If Ben started to show some worrying signs of it all going belly up. He does not continuously yelp - why should he need to? He has only EVER had two zaps, and yes, it is true, he yelped - twice. Since that day, he has never had to be zapped again, but the vibration pager has been used on him this last weekend. That of course does not cause any alarm or discomfort whatsoever, it is just a reminder to him, to listen.
Sorry, fingers got ahead of brain, should have say "happy" not "helping".
Ben has yelped both times you've "zapped" him and you've said you're happy to "zap" him again if needs be. How many times are you willing to hurt him before you decide it's not working?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Sorry, fingers got ahead of brain, should have say "happy" not "helping".
Ben has yelped both times you've "zapped" him and you've said you're happy to "zap" him again if needs be. How many times are you willing to hurt him before you decide it's not working?
I realised!!

when did I ever say I would be happy to zap him again? I said I would be happy if I had to to use the pager - that makes the collar vibrate, akin to an electric toothbrush.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Going off line now until tomorrow - lb over, and tonight I have a parish council meeting
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I realised!!

when did I ever say I would be happy to zap him again? I said I would be happy if I had to to use the pager - that makes the collar vibrate, akin to an electric toothbrush.
Page 8. Voila

Would you care to explain to me how a vibration can possibly be 1) cruel or 2) a cop out.

If we needed to zap him because he was running off then we would zap him. But over this last weekend, the vibrating pager was all we had to use to get his attention. He would then obey our verbal command.

I know you are just dying to criticise me just for breathing, but really Rune - do try not to be quite so obvious
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I am not being dramatic at all, that is always everyone's answer isn't it. I am not going to go into the details of why you have upset me in public, but you know.

How the flying f do you expect me to train my dogs when I am working my socks off 30 miles away from where I live? I go out to work, OH is semi retired working from home and his job is to look after the dogs. He does his best, but unlike you who is obviously perfect, he is not. He spends on average 4 hours a day walking the dogs, I personally think this is pretty good, but unfortunately he cannot then take a further hour or two to train Ben. As you rightly say, training is something that should be done continuously as part of the daily walking, and that is exactly what he does, and what I do at weekends. But you should know, having a CWD, who presumably you let off the lead, that the hardest thing to do is to train a good reliable recall.

I am sorry that I don't come up to your exacting standards, I doubt anyone would be able to
thats where i got it from
Don't be such a bitch Tupacs, you do yourself no favours.

What question? Sorry, have I missed something. I have never owned a pure CSV so therefore I would not dream of commenting - until one has experienced something, I find in it is probably best not to make assumptions

However, I have had experience of CSV crosses, and I found them to be very like Hal, not very interested in pleasing YOU, only pleasing themselves! I assumed this would be a trait of a pure czechie, apologies if I am wrong

Perhaps biddable might not be quite the right word to describe a collie - I think an enormous desire to please would be better - however, I am sure there are collies who are exactly the opposite of this description! All the collies I have ever known have been supremely intelligent and very obedient, including the one we owned, Bertie.
i am not being a bitch... you seem to put emphasis that your dogs are untrainable and gits because of wolf content.....not only even if there was wolf in there(i have seen pics of both your dogs and hal and their ancestors)it would be like a grain of sand in the dessert
and its simply not true that is the reason why you cannot train them.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 02:11 PM
I do!! I don't have a problem with his sitting, staying, lying down, trusting for food, every time I groom them, which is every day virtually, particularly for Ben this is a training session because he does not like being brushed particularly, and used to turn on your hand in the past. He has to sit and wait calmly for his food, so does Tai, so does Gucci. I am not talking about these kinds of everyday routine training, this is not where we have had a problem. It has only been with his recall. of course we have tried running away, hiding, all the games you can think off. Running away and getting him to chase was how we got Hal to have a half decent recall when it suited him!

what you have to understand is that these "northern breed" type dogs rarely have much of a desire to please, like a normal labrador, collie or spaniel. They are recalcitrant and self-pleasing, and it is often very difficult to find a reason WHY they should want to come to you. It is easy if you have a dog who likes titbits, or toys, or just pure simple praise like Tai - but if you have a dog like Hal, or Ben, it is far far far harder. With Hal, we could have waived a pair of smelly socks or knickers and he would have come like a shot. Or wafted the scent of bitch in heat around!! the only thing that tripped that dog's trigger was SEX!! He was not in the remotestly interested in food. Ben is a little keener on food, so it has been easier with him because we reinforce his training with titbits. If we had had Ben from 8 weeks like we did Hal, we would not be having this problem now. I would say he is 50% easier to train than Hal was - we managed to achieve a passing standard of recall with Hal only because we had had him virtually from birth.

I wish I had a video camera - but I am more than happy to meet up with anyone who lives in the Northants area!
Fantastic, you have the basic idea. What have you done in respect of recall within the home? Believe me, I do know how frustrating it can be with dogs who are independent (Northern breeds aren't alone in this). You need to really, really condition your cue for recall and this starts at home. If he doesn't show interest in coming to you at your behest yet, then let him take the lead. Every time he is on his way over to you (both of you), put in your recall cue just as he gets to you so that he can't fail. Do it every time. What you are trying to achieve is the same conditioning we have when we get in the car. We don't have to think about putting on a seat belt, we do it without thinking because it is such a conditioned response that we don't think about not doing it.

When taking it outside, you start in the garden and then, yes, that dreaded long line. You never, ever want him to fail during training if you want to achieve that automatic response that you desire
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
more like collie

u didnt answer my question G.. why do u think a csv would be hard to train for recall?

btw..i had a collie bitch that was a shocker to train recall....even got in the car n drove away once...she didnt batter an eyelid..yes collies are clever,too clever for their own good..biddable..im not so sure about that.
Yup, I ran away and hid from Mia - 20 min later I peeked out to see her happily playing with a stick on the beach - not all collies are willing to please (although it can be trained - and I have with Mia) Gnasher seems to think collies are the easiest dogs in the world - interesting how the dogs trust has a special section about if you want to rehome a collie because they can be so difficult

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Why not start now? I know it's difficult to get out and about with him, but why not start the basics at home - perhaps when the adverts are on TV, when you are boiling a kettle to make a drink etc

Getting the basics within the home in 'small bites' is the foundation of all training. A sit, a stay, a whistle to signal meal times, cuddle times etc and even when he's just coming over to you, ie headed in your direction so that the basis of the recall is started in a relaxing environment.

When you hang out the washing at weekends, take rubbish to the bin etc, incorporate a bit of fun training - getting Ben to run after you then turning to face him and giving your recall cue (whistle or voice - whatever you use). You are setting him up to succeed and it will make that venture into the bigger world for training go so much easier.
Really well said. A good basis for recal can be built in the house - calling the dog when something nice is going to happen, then building up to outside in the garden
and gnasher if you have no issues with sits and stays and allsorts then it sounds very much like your dog is trainable and you are capable to train him, just that you seem to think there is something different with recal training - really its just another trick

If Ben started to show some worrying signs of it all going belly up. He does not continuously yelp - why should he need to? He has only EVER had two zaps, and yes, it is true, he yelped - twice. Since that day, he has never had to be zapped again, but the vibration pager has been used on him this last weekend. That of course does not cause any alarm or discomfort whatsoever, it is just a reminder to him, to listen.
No its not a reminder to listen - it is a threat - last time you felt this it was followed by something painful
As you said - first time the pager didnt have any effect, but now it works - why?
Because he now associates it with the painfull scary experience
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 02:42 PM
The pager is a predictor, like a clicker, unlike the latter, it predicts positive punishment rather than positive reinforcement.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I know I am prob waisting my time with this but I had a think about electricity and thought I would put it down here so people are not sucked in by the 'its only static' ' and its only voltage' 'he has thick hair so it hurts less'

Static electricity is where the charge builds up in one place with nowhere to go, it builds up to such a level that it is able to force its way tru a non conductive material (like air or hair) and discharges all in one go

One place many people have met static is on their car
The friction of the air over the metal car build up a charge
it has nowhere to go because the wheels are rubber
- until a person gets close enough to the car that the charge can jump from the car to the person and down to earth

- some people find this very painful (me)

This can be stopped with a small strip of metal from the car to the ground, this alows the charge to flow instead of building up - this flowing charge in the metal is normal electricity, but if you were to touch this metal you wouldnt feel anything because it is quite small - it hasnt built up
static electricity still sound nicer than normal electricity?
Basically it is able to build up a far larger charge and deliver it all in one go from the place where the charge is stored (car - e collar) to the path to earth (human - dog)

Also if the path to reach the human/dog has more resistance (say for example thick fur) then the charge has to build up MORE before it has the energy to jump the gap
- so a breed with thick hair will be feeling MORE charge than a human with nice damp skin (remember dogs dont sweat) and the contacts actually touching the skin

The resistance of the skin really varies by large amounts depending on muscle, fat, moisture, damage to the skin and this change in resistance changes the amount of current passing tru the skin
The higher the current the more chance for the shock to actually damage the skin, to burn it (which is why I was left burnt from the slendertone and many people are not - my skin resistance is obviously different)

so from one day to the next the actual shock delivered to the dog will vary depending on many factors
If there is more fur trapped between the electrode and the skin and the dogs skin has a little damage to it on that day it is possible that the charge is enough to start damaging the skin - on a setting that did no damage before

So in answer to the origonal question do they hurt?
Yes, they can destroy skin and cause nasty burns, they make dogs yelp
it varies from one person to another and varies from day to day

So before you strap it on your dog brush your hair over your neck and apply the collar there, then have someone else try and train you something you dont understand and just randomly zap you wen you do what they dont want you to
Page 16 of 42 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »