View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:50 PM
One child can be on the 'at risk register' and the next wont, so it has to be a lot worse than was mentioned in that article for them to take the children straight away like that, if thats what happened. Those are the types that should be sterilised after the birth. Then again you don't get all the facts from one newspaper article either....

She won't be getting the money for them though, the carer of the children will. Be it council, foster carer...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Perhaps it's time to rethink child benefits altogether personally I have no biological children but am guessing childcare is the biggest bill you have so perhaps free child care while working and no cash benefits would be a better way forward ?

If we are just talking cash then a cut off point of £40,000 seems too high perhaps £25,000 would be a better starting point.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Julie1962 View Post
Perhaps it's time to rethink child benefits altogether personally I have no biological children but am guessing childcare is the biggest bill you have so perhaps free child care while working and no cash benefits would be a better way forward ?

If we are just talking cash then a cut off point of £40,000 seems too high perhaps £25,000 would be a better starting point.
That would be great..if only!! Luckily my son starts school next september, so childcare bill will go down hugely, but if/when me and my bf decide to have children, for 3 years the bill is looking at almost £800 per month for just one child.
We will have to seriously get some saving done first!

And another thing(sorry off topic)- i was looking into statutory maternity pay and cannot believe its £123 (or around that figure) per week!!! ridiculous!!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
It infuriates me while i work my ass off for buttons, working ridiculous hours, doing mentally demanding work many many others my age that I know are having kids left, right and centre and can afford to do much more than I can with no job or attempt to get a job.

Doesn't seem fair at all to me.
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
It infuriates me while i work my ass off for buttons, working ridiculous hours, doing mentally demanding work many many others my age that I know are having kids left, right and centre and can afford to do much more than I can with no job or attempt to get a job.

Doesn't seem fair at all to me.
I agree, its sickening.

My other half and I both in an extremely stressful jobs working unsociable hours, jointly we are on a bit more than the 40k suggested by some (before tax I may add)

having bought a house in the last 4 years our mortgage is large, we get no benefits nor would i expect any and our disposable income is such that we can go out once a month and not worry too much...HOWEVER we dont have enough to save any significant amount and certainly dont have enough to bring another life into the world.

I cant help but feel that people who get benefits with no job and then who choose to have children/more children with no other means of supporting them are who are bringing this welfare system to its knees.

Its an emphatic subject and one which riles me if im honest.

i would love to have children and should hope if and when I can that I get the lolely help of £15 a week or whatever it is now, and for it not to be means tested.

Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:46 AM
I think the changes to child benefit are not based on joint incomes...so a couple earning £35000 each (total 70 000) would still be entitled to cb, but say the husband earns £45000 and the wife doesnt work, they still wont be entitled to cb.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3