View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Sounds brilliant, H. I've been enjoying reading all your agility updates with interest, you and Zena are obviously doing really well indeed. Well done to you both! Keep it up! Look forward to more updates and how you get on with the long jump.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Nicola, and oh yes, that long jump could be errrrm... interesting!!!! Along with the material tunnel of course hope that doesn't come out next week now that she loves going in the big plastic tunnel!!!
gilli and jago
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I train a mixture of channel weaves for speed and footfall and clicker (not 2 x 2 but similar, starting with 3 poles on a comoetition base and increasing gradually, using your dogs and your body positioning and a thrown toy or treat to train the correct entry, but not luring in any way).
I've found that the channel helps the dog weave independantly of handler position and the clicker helps the dog if it's struggling to find the entry.
I've never found a dog learning to run past a weave being a result of channel weaving, more this being due to the dog either being unable to regulate his stride to get the entry or being unsure about the weave and thinking running past is a safer option to getting it wrong.
I have used V weaves on 2 dogs, one of whom was quite bargy and the other who i wanted to encourage to be a little more bargy as shes a rather wimpy lurcher and is what uou might call 'sedate' through them
I have seen the occasional competition handler with decent weaves trained by luring butmost nowadays will use V, channels or clicker (2 x 2 or otherwise)
For contacts, whilst i think the likes of Dawn Weaver have stunning running contacts, i have also seen a lot come a cropper with them ending up with unreliable 'was it, wasn't it' contacts so for me it's hotta be 2on 2off. I'm sure in years to come we will all be training running contacts as the speeds needed to get to the top nowadays are such that a split second lost on slowing into position can be all it takes but personally I'm not confident in my ability to train my dogs footfalls such that i can guarantee that contact every time and i have to admit I'd be lost without that ability to pause and collect the dogs attention again for that split second.
I think whatever method you use, you have to be extremely consistent and train on a regular basis and of course choose one that both you and the dog get on with. Any method (within reason) will give good results if applied consistently and well and any will fall over if trained inconsistently.
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9