register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 84 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 > Last »
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I find the basics are always a great place to start with handlers.

Especailly handlers who have dogs with Issues.

It is a great way of rebuilding the relationship between the two and getting some control in at the same time.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
your compleatly right in what your saying,

often some basic training, giving the dog more in its life is all thats needed to settle dogs down,
he seems to promote running your dog ragged, which yes these dogs need more exercise, but he totaly forgets the mental stimulation and that basic training such as come, sit, heel, are very important,
if a dog is not trained to go to heel {from all possitions} it doesnt know where heel is, so how the hell can it walk to heel, for all the dog knows heel could be at the lampost at the end of the street,
no matter where my dog is when off lead, in front of me, behind me, to the side of me, if I say heel, he knows where to go, egro......he can walk there when needed.

start with the basics, make them clear, the rest falls into place,
Mmmm, I'm partially with you Shona. I tend to take a much more laid back approach ... maybe its a breed thing though. I know that rotties can be very stubborn dogs, and not easy, but the several I have known have been very intelligent, and incidentally very lovely natured, so maybe it is a breed thing, maybe rotties have a greater desire to please, like collies, but with my wolfy guys I do found the more laid back side of Cesar Millan works very well. You may laugh when you read those words, but by his laid back side, I am referring to his not concentrating so much on the "heel", the "sit", the "stay", but more on the calm positive energy of the dog.

As an example ... with mals, utonagans etc. etc., my experience is that the more you pull, the more THEY pull ... literally and metaphorically speaking. Literally ... when they are on the lead, if you have them on a choke lead ( ) and hold them tightly and on a short lead, they will pull like an express train. If you walk with a nice slack lead, in a calm, positive way, shoulders back, relaxed, just giving a short tug on the lead if they get too forward, maybe a little tsst at the same time, this works a treat. Tai pulled like an express train when we got him, but after the first walk round our field, he was walking nicely to heel using this method.

Metaphorically speaking ... these northern breed types are very stubborn and very independent ... and very intelligent too. You "pull" they will "pull" even harder. You be too strict about the speed of the recall, the position of the heel, whatever it is, they will take the ball away. Perhaps this is why Cesar's methods worked so well with Hal, and now work so well with Tai.

I'm off to the pub now! All this thinking has made me very thirsty !!
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the thing with CM, is once you have seen him once you have seen it all,

its a one box of tricks wonder,

as a trainer I constantly have to come up with new ideas/methods of training to suit each dog,

but hes not a trainer as such is he, he takes on "dominant dogs with behaviour issues"
but even then its the same old box of tricks,
I take on dogs with fear/aggressive issues and many others, again I have not found one size fits all.

Im not against CM, I think now and then he has his place, but the only point to the show it all the diff dogs you see, your not going to see anything diff from him
People who adhere to the dominance myth in general have a pretty empty tool box when it comes to dealing with problems. The old saying comes to mind: If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail

Dominance trainers tend to be self-"taught", and this makes them over confident of their own abilities. They seek out people who think like them to reinforce their beliefs. Gnasher, suffers from the same problem and she has sought out people like Millan and Ellis to reinforce her belief. Thanks to her confirmation bias she has summarily dismissed the work presented to her by real researchers in preference to her observations.

Unskilled and Unaware of It was such an influential paper it has come to be know by the author's name "Dunning-Kruger effect"
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 05:45 PM
TBH I think that training the basics - and any other tricks for that matter is a great way to build a bond with a dog to make it want to work with you and respond better with you
At the end of the day dogs want to work with us and the more we work them the better behavied they become

I have never seen CM play with a dog, pet it like he really means it - or catch eye contact with a dog and just give it a grin that sends it into tail wagging heaven
Just an observation, we should have dogs because having them makes us and them happy - he and many trainers of his ilk really dont seem to enjoy their dogs - its all a battle - and that is really sad
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Yes I agree. I think the dogs he's dealing with though are probably easier for him to train once he's knackered them out
Hubby's still in the loo, so I've sneaked back on to get in a quickie as it were !!

You've hit the nail on the head Sarah, although I wouldn't use the word "knackered" ! Physically well exercised? !!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Gnasher - have you ever had a collie??
Any problems you think you have seen with a wolfy type are nothing compaired to a badly trained hard headed teenage collie
People just think of them as little robots walking lovely to heel
Sure they are smart - that means if they dont want to work with you you are in trouble
- why do you think there are so many young collies in rescue and that dogs trust has a special section for you to read if you are thinking of getting a collie
infact they wouldnt let me rescue one as I was to inexperienced

Sorry totaly OT but it gets my goat that people think collies are easy to train - quick and smart dosent mean easy
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I am thinking of the Jinto that Cesar helped, it belonged to a famous actor, and the dog was just about the most dangerous animal I think I have ever seen. I haven't seen this episode for a long time, but I remember being amazed how Cesar eventually managed to achieve a level of success with the dog. I cannot remember if the dog went on to become a normal well balanced dog, I believe he did, but I was impressed by that episode.
You are so easily impressed.

As he reports in his book -The Ultimate Episode Guide - this dog remained aggressive as ever and the people had to give the dog away when they couldn't handle him any more. Whether this dog was euthanized or not is not mentioned.

It's sad that you were impressed by Millan driving a dog into helplessness and then claiming a dog that has shut down is calm. It is utter garbage.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
but more on the calm positive energy of the dog.
any trainer worth there salt will be calm and positive.

As an example ... with mals, utonagans etc. etc., my experience is that the more you pull, the more THEY pull ... literally and metaphorically speaking. Literally ... when they are on the lead, if you have them on a choke lead ( ) and hold them tightly and on a short lead, they will pull like an express train. If you walk with a nice slack lead, in a calm, positive way, shoulders back, relaxed, just giving a short tug on the lead if they get too forward, maybe a little tsst at the same time, this works a treat. Tai pulled like an express train when we got him, but after the first walk round our field, he was walking nicely to heel using this method.
but why would a trainer or owner need to pull a dog?
thats not how to solve problems, much of my training is done off lead, even with problem dogs,
I tend to use many horse methods with dogs, its far easier if a dog wants to be with you rather than needs to be with you fighting against you. Its just a case of finding out what makes that dog tick and want to be with you

this is where things can get time consuming and you need to have a good range of ideas and be able to think off the cuff, what ever works for the dog works for me, so I mold the training to suit that dog..

Metaphorically speaking ... these northern breed types are very stubborn and very independent ... and very intelligent too. You "pull" they will "pull" even harder. You be too strict about the speed of the recall, the position of the heel, whatever it is, they will take the ball away. Perhaps this is why Cesar's methods worked so well with Hal, and now work so well with Tai.
again with the pull pull thing, this give me the feel of a very limited trainer with no real ideas.

Again your looking at CM's methods from a wolf dog owners view, but I have not seen him to date train a wolf x

he trains everything from chi's to mastiffs with the the same limited methods.

again, dont get me wrong, Im not totaly against CM nor am I for him, I just find him a tad limited, its the same old week in week out, never anything new.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I find the basics are always a great place to start with handlers.

Especailly handlers who have dogs with Issues.

It is a great way of rebuilding the relationship between the two and getting some control in at the same time.
Im glad Im not alone with this view, very often the relationship is very strained with problem dogs and there owners, its great to be able to give them the building block to change this, I often use the clicker for this as its so hands off, I start with the most basic things and the clicker.
once the owner see's they can train the dog there whole way of looking at that dog changes, then its onwards and upwards from there on in.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
TBH I think that training the basics - and any other tricks for that matter is a great way to build a bond with a dog to make it want to work with you and respond better with you
At the end of the day dogs want to work with us and the more we work them the better behavied they become

I have never seen CM play with a dog, pet it like he really means it - or catch eye contact with a dog and just give it a grin that sends it into tail wagging heaven
Just an observation, we should have dogs because having them makes us and them happy - he and many trainers of his ilk really dont seem to enjoy their dogs - its all a battle - and that is really sad
well said, I trained kenzo to wave last night with a clicker, have it on vid will load it later, {the rottie that was a bit reactive}

hes off lead in a hall full of dogs and couldnt give a hoot, he has such a positive outlook to training, he loves it.
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 84 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 > Last »