Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Dog spay aftercare

Hi,

My 1 year old Border Terrier has been spayed today and we have just brought her home. The vet explained what to do to look after her for a while but he said that she won't be in pain today and she'll just sleep.

She has been back for a while now and all she has done is cried non stop and I am worried that she is in pain, is this a normal reaction or is she just crying because she is confused.

Any advice on how to keep her happy would be great.

Thanks
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 04:57 PM
hi

try not to worry(hard i know) she will be feeling confused and the ga will still be in her system,if she had a pre-med their will be a painkilling effect and an opiate effect,so she will not be in too much pain but may be slightly confussed too.
try not to fuss over her too much as she may start'feeding' from your anxiousness,be there but not if u catch my drift.all dogs recover differently but after a good night sleep she will feel a little better..and so will you.x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 05:32 PM
All she needs is a nice cosy, warm bed and some fresh water and she needs to sleep off the GA, coz that's what's probably bothering her the most, I'm sure they've given her enough of the pain relief.

When I had mine done last year, they told me I could take her home as soon as she was "sitting up" (coz they wanted to get shot of her early, she's trouble lol!). So maybe you picked her up as soon as she was able to do that, just like I did, whereas other people may leave it slightly longer, so of course, your little dog is still a bit comotosed from that GA.

It doesn't take them long to get over it, once they've slept lots, especially overnight, you'll find she'll bounce back in the morning as if nothing has happened, ours did! The main concern is not to let her jump about or jump up onto the sofa or anything for fear of ripping the stitches, and I did that with one dog years ago and had to rush her back in an emergency, so be very aware, that for a few days, you will have to keep her pretty quiet and lead walks only, no running and jumping or you'll end up like I did!

Don't force her to eat, coz sometimes they can be sick with that GA, so wait until she tells you she is hungry and only give little and often. Plenty of fresh, clean water is a must to help flush that GA out of her system.

Gentle tlc doesn't hurt, she's frightened, she only has you, she doesn't know what happened to her, so give her all the love you want, just don't let her milk it!

If later on tonight she is still crying and seeming in pain, then you must ring the vets, if only to pass on your concerns, you can never take major surgery too seriously! Good luck with her, I'm sure she'll be fine, so please post up again tonight or tomorrow when she's bounced back!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 07:01 PM
One of my whippets cried for hours after a spay .
They had given her lots of painkillers and it was thought to be a reaction to the GA .
If you are worried don't hesitate to phone the vet .