Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous
Those of you that supplement with sa-37 could you let us know what all it contains...Cheers
Duh.. now why didnt I think of that

Linda, I know that papaya pills are digestive enzymes, but have been told they only "work" (?) with the protein, so not enough...

I would still like some suggestions on what probiotics can be Cos if it isnt yogurt... then I'm kinda lost
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-02-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi B/L, heres a good linkthat explains probiotics & digestive enzymes & a few other things

http://www.dogaware.com/dogfeeding.html#supplements

I used to give my lot live bio unsweetend goats yoghurt daily & alternated with kefir as well, I still give it couple of times a wk now. But they also get fresh goats milk couple of times a wk & have no probs with dairy at all
Vits C & E I give routinely because E is an antioxidant & helps slow aging amongst other things & C as a help to keep their immune system up to par.
I didn`t concentrate on just 1 or 2 vits or minerals, I gave a broad spectum over a long time to get their systems back to full working order, well as much as possible anyway And now I let them get everything they need from their diet. Forgot to say, yes I gave a vit B complex as well, but also wheatgerm as well.

ps someone mentions supplementing with taurine, I`d only do that if I knew they had a taurine deficiency, raw meat gives a good supply of taurine, cooking depletes it.

Hi L/S I`ve not used digestive enzymes but theres info on them in link I put on

Hi M, it was me who`s used apple cider vinegar (acv) & still do now n again, tho don`t know about it containing all essential vits & mins

Before you all go off & buy supps please think carefully about what your individual dogs need. My lot had a variety of things, mostly scratching, gunky ears, ringworm, minor infections etc, all immune related. And vaccine damaged as well. So I worked on their immune systems, I joined many health groups, read a lot of info in the files section, researched what foods contain what vits & mins, what those vits & mins did in the body, read & asked q`s. They were also assessed by a h/pathic vet.
1 thing I always did was use the best quality I coulkd find & afford

Hope this helps
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:00 PM
the raw muscle meat etc will contain quite alot of digestive enzymes wont it??...Isn't it when it's been cooked that it looses them...

Christine this is what I saw on apple cider vinegar http://www.preciouspets.org/newslett...er-vinegar.htm
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
the raw muscle meat etc will contain quite alot of digestive enzymes wont it??...Isn't it when it's been cooked that it looses them...

Yes thats right M, probably why I`ve never had to buy digestive enzymes as I feed raw

Christine this is what I saw on apple cider vinegar http://www.preciouspets.org/newslett...er-vinegar.htm
Hmmmm still not convinced tho do believe its a good antibacterial/fungal & good for healthy urinary tracts
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks Christine for that link I've copied it, so I can bring it to the healthstore and show them.. Then perhaps we can find something similar
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-02-2006, 06:44 PM
The TZ Border Boys get raw mince supplemented with one tablet of SA37 daily.

They started getting the SA37 when Kali hit 11 and looked a wee bit "peakit" (as we say up here - it means "slightly off-colour", roughly). As he isn't exactly a young pup any more, a friend (a retired vet) suggested giving him Vivitonin (which I buy online, after seeing what our vet charged for it!).

Whether or not it's the vits or the vivitonin is unsure, but one or t'other has made Kali bounce like a dog half his age - he has rediscovered the "joys" of leg-humping after a spell of having forgotten them

Snorri
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Ooh sounds like its working then

Thank you for all your input.

I'm really looking for something to kinda keep Luna's tummy in check.. so to speak.

Hopefully the diet will do this, when I figure out what to feed when..

I'm going into town tomoz and ask for some probiotics. Hopefully I can find some.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

27-02-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Thanks Christine for that link I've copied it, so I can bring it to the healthstore and show them.. Then perhaps we can find something similar
Hi B/L not sure what you`re thinking of giving....or why

What do you think Luna is lacking in her diet & why do you think that, what are you looking to supplement her with? Apart from her upset tums & phontoms is there anything else she`s suffering from?

I think she gets a pretty varied diet

ok just saw your last post about upset tum, think I`d try daily, live unsweetened goats yoghurt or kefir with some honey, given with a pretty simple diet & if alls well add something new, slowly, in a couple of wks
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Its "just" the runny tummy issue.. She isnt having any other problems.. Yes a bad breath...

I think I've heart about kefir before.. Will go make a search for that

Thanks
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

28-02-2006, 07:19 AM
Hi B/L why not try the yoghurt daily first & if you can get some fresh mint sprinkle a chopped leaf or 2 over her food
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »