11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
The posts were split from this thread..

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=127120
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Among other things I brought up the subject of over feeding before the OP supplied additional information on the dogs condition.
See my link above to the original thread.

Labman the poster made in quite clear in her opening post that she thought her puppy might be teething and needed confirmation of this but instead got an unwanted lecture on obesity in dogs from you. This was the second time in days this happened, another poster posted about her underweight dog and got quite exasperated when you insisted on lecturing her about obese dogs.
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=126985
It might help if you note the topic people are posting about before commenting.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I didnt think that was bad until she game mine a treat too
a whole one of those pedigree meaty strip things!!! One of them broken into bits would be more than both of mine would get on a training walk
Bloody hell! I only use half of one of those strips broken into little bits when I train Molly and even then I worry that I'm giving her too much!

I definitely agree that lots of owners have no idea what a good amount is when it comes to treats. I think often the problem is that they think the treats look very small so give lots but don't realise how much fat and stuff there is in them.

It's the same problem with the amount of food you're meant to give dogs, especially little dogs like Paps. I know when I first got Molly I looked at the amount of food I was meant to give her for her weight & thought it looked like hardly anything, especially when I had split it into two meals! Luckily I stuck with it & she is the perfect weight for her size but you could see that maybe if someone did give their dog more food than they were meant to & didn't take them out on walks at all or just took them on very short walks & maybe gave them one too many treats then the weight could really start to pile on very quickly...
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
See my link above to the original thread.

Labman the poster made in quite clear in her opening post that she thought her puppy might be teething and needed confirmation of this but instead got an unwanted lecture on obesity in dogs from you. This was the second time in days this happened, another poster posted about her underweight dog and got quite exasperated when you insisted on lecturing her about obese dogs.
It might help if you note the topic people are posting about before commenting.
People don't always ask the right questions. The dog wasn't eating, a serious symptom in a lean dog. Some day a dog that needed immediate attention of a vet will die because you told the owner it was only teething and they lost valuable time discovering soaking the food didn't fix the problem.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 04:19 AM
People don't always ask the right questions. The dog wasn't eating, a serious symptom in a lean dog. Some day a dog that needed immediate attention of a vet will die because you told the owner it was only teething and they lost valuable time discovering soaking the food didn't fix the problem.
I agree with your obesity issue Labman (dare I say ) but your disregard for the actual content on a post or thread is difficult.
You went off on a tangent that was not required, as you state "The dog wasn't eating, a serious symptom in a lean dog" yet you went on a rant about obesity in dogs then accuse Minihaha of possibly wasting "valuable time" and the dog may need to see a vet. YET you asked the OP of the vets advice and the OP stated the vet was of the belief the dog was fine then you ranted about obesity THIS WAS BEFORE Minihaha posted so maybe she actually read the whole thread unlike yourself and was aware the vet had already seen the dog. You then went on to not only disregarded the OP you also told the OP her dog was not too skinny and obesity is the issue.
I think most of us on here, we may look for advice and in posting it is no substitute for a veterinary opinion and if the OP hadn't said her dog was 'perfectly healthy other than the weight issue' and was a 'fussy eater' the advice may have been different.
So trying to discredit what Minihaha's advice was, and that she was making a serious error, I suggest to you, that YOU were making the serious error of not reading the OP clearly and now caused the need for a thread of its own, which is great as yes there are obese dogs and it is something that can reduce a dogs life quantity and quality, yet the need to point it at any one person is silly as this was never the issue at hand, just one that you made up.
Meg
Supervisor

12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Isn't it rather presumptuous to suggest people aren't asking the right questions (presumably you are saying this because the questions don't always fit your stock reply)

I don't need to justify my post in the thread in question, it is there for all to read but I will post it here for your benefit because you seem not to have actually read it ...

Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Diana

the behaviour you describe is typical of a teething puppy. When teething some puppies will bark at the food and back away, others don't want to eat.

Are you soaking the kibble? I would feed only moist food for the moment and see if that makes any difference.

If Bobby is peeing and pooing ok, seems well in every other way I would not be unduly concerned. If however you feel he is not well or refuses to eat for a number of days I would see the vet.

If Bobby's gums are sore something cool to chew like a moistened knotted frozen tea towel or frozen whole carrot may help.

ETA re the drinking more, it could just be the warm weather but needs to be monitored in case there is a medical problem developing.
nowhere did I say the dog was 'only teething' . Now lets look at the original post , the o/p had already stated..
Morning everyone. I am a bit concerned about Bobby and hope you can all give me a bit of reassurance.

He is 15 weeks old now and yesterday and again so far this morning he has been reluctant to eat. Normally he will eat anything and everything he can and cleans his dish every mealtime.

Now though he just eats a wee bit of kibble then walks away. I have even given him some raw carrot which is a favourite treat that he sits and munches happily, but he has just ignored it.

I did mix some raw Prize Choice defrosted fish in with his kibble this morning, and wet it with a bit of warm water and he did eat some of it, but nothing like he would normally.

He also seems to be drinking a bit more than normal

Other than this he seems really well - playing, running about like a looney, chewing on everything he can.

I am wondering whether he may be having teething pain or is that a daft notion? Do dogs go off their grub when they are getting their teeth?

I would really appreciate some advice from all you experts, thanks a lot.
..notice the puppy isn't not eating , it will eat a little kibble and soft food , other than that 'he seems really well - playing, running about like a looney, chewing on everything he can'.

Notice also there is no mention of 'a lean dog', tell me Labman if you thought the puppy was lean why did you give the o/p a lecture on obese dogs?
If you are trying to discredit my posts or direct attention away with your obsession that anytime a person posts about a dog with any kind of eating issue they are likely to be overfeeding it, I would say you have failed.

No rational dog owner likes to see overweight dogs myself included but I don't think we should automatically assume everyone who posts is going to overfeed their dog and needs a lecture on obese dogs.

Labman many of your replies to members here are not relevant to the original post or give what most caring dog owners would consider to be poor or even cruel advise, before you try to discredit others I think you should take a good look at your own methods and replies .

Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Isn't it rather presumptuous to suggest people aren't asking the right questions (presumably you are saying this because the questions don't always fit your stock reply)

I don't need to justify my post in the thread in question, it is there for all to read but I will post it here for your benefit because you seem not to have actually read it ...

nowhere did I say the dog was 'only teething' . The o/p had already stated..
..notice the puppy isn't not eating , it will eat a little kibble and soft food , other than that 'he seems really well - playing, running about like a looney, chewing on everything he can'.

Notice also there is no mention of 'a lean dog', tell me Labman if you thought the puppy was lean why did you give the o/p a lecture on obese dogs?
If you are trying to discredit my posts or direct attention away with your obsession that anytime a person posts about a dog with any kind of eating issue they are likely to be overfeeding it, I would say you have failed.

Labman many of your replies to members here are not relevant to the original post or give what most caring dog owners would consider to be poor or even cruel advise, before you try to discredit others I think you should take a good look at your own methods and replies .
Sorry Minihaha, I was talking about another thread that went the similar way as well

Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I agree with your obesity issue Labman (dare I say ) but your disregard for the actual content on a post or thread is difficult.
You went off on a tangent that was not required, as you state "The dog wasn't eating, a serious symptom in a lean dog" yet you went on a rant about obesity in dogs then accuse Minihaha of possibly wasting "valuable time" and the dog may need to see a vet. YET you asked the OP of the vets advice and the OP stated the vet was of the belief the dog was fine then you ranted about obesity THIS WAS BEFORE Minihaha posted so maybe she actually read the whole thread unlike yourself and was aware the vet had already seen the dog. You then went on to not only disregarded the OP you also told the OP her dog was not too skinny and obesity is the issue.
I think most of us on here, we may look for advice and in posting it is no substitute for a veterinary opinion and if the OP hadn't said her dog was 'perfectly healthy other than the weight issue' and was a 'fussy eater' the advice may have been different.
So trying to discredit what Minihaha's advice was, and that she was making a serious error, I suggest to you, that YOU were making the serious error of not reading the OP clearly and now caused the need for a thread of its own, which is great as yes there are obese dogs and it is something that can reduce a dogs life quantity and quality, yet the need to point it at any one person is silly as this was never the issue at hand, just one that you made up.
The thread I was talking about is this one
where Labman has gone on in the same vein as the other thread you talk of
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Among other things I brought up the subject of over feeding before the OP supplied additional information on the dogs condition.

One huge error is thinking the dog's body condition has nothing to do with why it isn't eating. Many dogs are smarter than their owners and refuse to eat all they are given. While that is rare in Labs where I have most of my experience, I have seen ones that way and many light eating Shepherds.

Obese in dogs is defined as 20% overweight. As a lean one year old, Zephyr weighed 67 pounds. When he returned to to our daughter, he weighed 92 pounds, 37% more than he should have. At that point, he still had somewhat of a waist and belly tuck up. I hate to think how heavy many of the dogs are that actually bulge at the belly.

However many dogs in much better shape will still have their lives shortened by their indulgent owners that insist on keeping them as heavy as other overweight dogs. It is a real shame so many are not about to even consider anything outside the way it has always been. No far better to discredit me by distorting my practices in other areas.
We don't need to discredit you. You do that all by yourself and if I may say so myself, you're extremely good at at it!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Hi,

This is just a thought, but do we consider things like BMI when discussing a dog's weight.

For example, Yiannis is now 34Kg, is 20 months old and looks a little skinny to be honest. He eats exactly the same amount as Zane, who is 2 1/2 years old (10 months between them in age) and weighs in at 59 Kg (although he isn't overweight, just oversized according to the breed standard).

Neither of them are overweight if you look at them physically but I doubt there are many GSDs at 59Kg. So, would it be assumed that Zane is obese because of what is stated in the textbooks?

Laura xx
Meg
Supervisor

12-06-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Sorry Minihaha, I was talking about another thread that went the similar way as well

The thread I was talking about is this one
where Labman has gone on in the same vein as the other thread you talk of
Hi Emma in his reply to me Labman said..

''People don't always ask the right questions. The dog wasn't eating, a serious symptom in a lean dog. Some day a dog that needed immediate attention of a vet will die because you told the owner it was only teething and they lost valuable time discovering soaking the food didn't fix the problem.''

he specifically mentions teething and soaking food so one can only presume he is talking about the 'teething' post not the 'thin dog' post in this instance. Both posts got the same response from Labman anyway.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >