View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Should Breeders carryout the same checks as Rescues?

Most reputable Rescues thoroughly check out homes before allowing one of their dogs/pups to be adopted, for example; a thorough interview, a Pre homevisit, Post adoption homevisit, Letter of permission from landlords/housing ass/council, Proof a training course has been paid for, reference letter from their vet if they've owned a dog before and follow up to ensure the dog has been neutered.

Should Breeders carryout the same checks? if not why not?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Well yes sort of....

Breeders should satisfy themselves that their puppy is going to a home that is suitable, whatever that entails. No doubt the details will vary from breeder to breeder.

I would think that breeders doing actual home checks on every home would be a bit unrealistic though. I've bought puppies from Blackpool, Manchester and Nantwich, Cheshire. I live in Northumberland, so physical checks would mean 3-4 hour drives each way for the breeders, a bit prohibitive I think.

I think though that responsible reputable breeders do have personal criteria though. It's puppy farmers and backyard breeders that don't know or care how things are done correctly.

Dawn R.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Well yes sort of....

Breeders should satisfy themselves that their puppy is going to a home that is suitable, whatever that entails. No doubt the details will vary from breeder to breeder.

I would think that breeders doing actual home checks on every home would be a bit unrealistic though. I've bought puppies from Blackpool, Manchester and Nantwich, Cheshire. I live in Northumberland, so physical checks would mean 3-4 hour drives each way for the breeders, a bit prohibitive I think.

I think though that responsible reputable breeders do have personal criteria though. It's puppy farmers and backyard breeders that don't know or care how things are done correctly.

Dawn R.
i live in northern ireland and to home check in england isnt visable,but we all have our own creitra,to satisfiy and most good breeders wouldnt let a puppy go to a home any home unless entierly satisfied the home was suitable for the puppy.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with Dawn,not all Breeders would insist on nuetering though,especially if the new owners want to show,Personally I don't think that should be forced onto owners,I detest that when we first go to a vet with a new pup,usually it's the first question and it really annoys me.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Give some of the rescues I have dealt with, I am glad most decent breeders are a bit more careful where their pups go!
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post

Should they not do what a reputable rescue does; if they haven't got the resources to home check outside of their area, they only let dogs go to homes in their area?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Give some of the rescues I have dealt with
We're talking about reputable rescues Dawn
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Should they not do what a reputable rescue does; if they haven't got the resources to home check outside of their area, they only let dogs go to homes in their area?
No.

Dawn R.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Well ok Anne, one "reputable" rescue on a popular rescue forum, Im sure you will know the one I mean, who spouts about everything, hunting, racing Greys etc... who would NEVER ever home a dog for working, homed one with me knowing exactly who I was and what I intended to do with the dog, is that reputable enough???
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 06:47 PM
If more breeders did what the reputable rescues do, there would be far less dogs in rescue imo.

I cant accept the homechecking side as being unworkable in terms of distance, many excellent rescues have home checkers all over the country whom they can and do call on for `out of area` adoptions :smt102
I`m sure it would be perfectly feasible for breeders to set up a network of homecheckers between them or could call on experienced rescue checkers from time to time.
As for the other elements ie references, interviews, follow-ups etc etc, those should imo be standard requirements across the board.
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »