View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2013, 11:16 PM
i had great danes for many years and then german pointers and both are very beautiful breeds but I then took a rescued ex-racing greyhound and my whole world changed. I have had rescue greys ever since and if I had my time over again I would have nothing else. They are the most biddable, gentle, forgiving hounds and unless you have been owned by one it's impossible to explain. They are magic. They have been abused mentally, emotionally & physically and some can be very withdrawn and nervous if they have had a particularly cruel life but when that first moment of trust appears, when they look at you and you see the change in their eyes from fear to trust, it just makes your heart burst with love for them.
My one wish is that more people would get to know this amazing feeling that comes from being loved by them as there are around 20000 yearly needing forever homes and just not enough adopters coming forward.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Bones68 View Post
There is nothing more calming and relaxing than a dog who wants to cuddle up on the sofa for a fuss in the evening.
So true! I only feel like I'm myself when I'm around dogs.. otherwise it's like a part of me is missing.

I've had my two sisters from the same litter. Their dad is a parson russell terrier and their mum a golden retriever x miniature poodle cross. As mongrels do they both have completely different characters and only resemble each other in the more basic features. Lasqa, the one I chose, was my first dog ever. Musette was officially my sister's dog but as things happen I ended up caring for both of them most of the time alone. When Lasqa died last summer it was one of the saddest things I ever experienced.. She got me into agility and was a real heartwarmer whenever I needed her.
We also had Wassily, a landseer european continental type, because my mum wanted a big fluffy dog. He was a huge boy with a lot of humour. Sadly, he didn't live very long because of various health problems.
Now I'm taking on a staffy. I like the terrier character, so I think that's something that suits me anyway. I can't have a dog that's too big but I still wanted a dog with substance and one that is fun. Looked at rspca websites etc. but in the end it happened that the mother of a friend needed to rehome her staffy so it was pretty clear to us what was going to happen

There are so many lovely breeds out there, I don't think I'm done with getting to know new ones just yet. But I think I'm probably going to stick to rescue dogs.
AngelicMisfit13
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2015, 03:53 PM
I own a 4 month old Chipin (Chihuahua/Min Pin). I found her on the streets...she needed me (immediately got attached to me) and I needed her (something to keep my mind off of the drama in life and get me out of the house). She keeps my life lively, balanced, and in the right direction.
Awaiting Abyss
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-05-2015, 05:05 PM
My pack currently consists of a high content wolfdog, a full blooded Alaskan Malamute, and a full blooded Miniature Dachshund.

My malamute entered my life first out of the three. I honestly should have waited to get her, but I was impatient. My husband did not like that I got her when I did, and for that reason he resented her for a while. (He doesn't now though. He loves her.) I honestly was searching for a breeder to get a future malamute from and saw that Mari was available and we had the extra money, so I got her.

I got my miniature dachshund 6 months later because I wanted a small dog. I saw an ad for her on craigslist right after it was posted. I responded first, but the lady scheduled for me to pick her up 10 minutes before another person. I was running late with finding the place so I called the woman and told her, but she said the other person was already pulling in (early). Any time I feel a strong emotion of any kind I cry, so I was upset and angry so I started crying without meaning to and the lady told me she would hold her for me. Rarity reminds me so much of the mini dachshund I had previously (she was killed by a coyote).

My wolfdog joined the pack about 6 months after Rarity. I wasn't planning on getting him. I saw his ad posted on craigslist and was skeptical because pretty much all "wolf" ads on craigslist, or any other internet advertisements, are misrepresentations. I emailed with the lady and then went to meet him... Then I realized she had been in my work before (I work at a pet store). I talked with my husband about it and decided to get him instead of getting a wolfdog pup next year. At first we had issues with him because we weren't used to dealing with rescue dogs, but now everything is better. He has made me realize that with the exception of small breed dogs, I do not want another non-wolfdog again.
Carina61
New Member!
Female 

20-05-2015, 04:55 PM
I own a 14 year old blind Maltese rescue who has been with me for over 7 years and is one of the most devoted dogs I have ever owned.
Also own a Bloodhound. Will have to get another one. This breed is amazing. Curious, funny, smart, stubborn. Dooley pouts better than anyone I know when he gets caught doing stuff he is not supposed to..
I have owned German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Dachshunds and I have to say that the Bloodhound stands alone.
Character plus
Page 24 of 24 « First < 14 21 22 23 24