Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:22 PM

What Dog Do You Own And Why?

I was wondering what led you to own the breed(s) you currently own, or have owned in the past. Also those with crossbreeds and rescue dogs, was there a reason that you came to own certain dog?

Another question for those with crossbreeds, if you go to get another do you try to get the same cross or does it really not matter particularly?

I grew up with a cross between and springer spaniel and a labrador. He was a big softy and 100% reliable with us kids. My parents decided on a pup and one of their neighbours had an accidental litter so thats how we came to get Prince. By the time we lost him aged 16 my mum was a childminder so, although she gave me permission to get another dog, it had to be a breed that was recommended to be good with children. I had always loved the Irish Setters and discovered that they were kind and gentle which is how I came to get Jasper. When he was a year old my parents got a cocker spaniel, Barnaby and then a few months later my sister got another cocker, Herbie. When I lost Jasper aged 10 I couldn't bear to replace him with another Irish so purchased an English Setter as mum was still childminding so I had to still stick with a good natured breed. The rest is history, I've found that one setter is simply not enough, they are totally addictive!
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:42 PM
first dog is a staffy, she needed a home,second dog is a staffyx,he also needed a home but i did specifically look for a staffy/staffyx as i love my first dogs nature i don't really care what kind of dog i get,if it needs a home it comes to me in saying that i have moved back to my parents and my dad has problems with long haired dogs so only a short coat for us unless we could clip the long haired dogs coat(and i am not too sure that would be fair)
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:45 PM
I grew up with Chihuahua's in our house. So when I left home I really wanted a big dog.
I wanted to rescue so went to the local charity and came home with Barney, hadnt a clue what he was mixed with, no 2 breeds thats for sure.
The next dog I had would be either a Rottweiler or a Malamute. We got all the books and couldnt decide which.
Ive always loved the wolf and heard about the Northern Inuit Dog so went along to their annual show in Oldham and OMG, I couldnt believe my eyes, the beauty & grace of these dogs and the resemblance to the wolf was the nearest in a domestic dog I had ever seen. I got talking to one lady who'd dog I was smitten with and she was a breeder, low and behold when I had finished fencing off my garden she had a litter. So home came my first NI. Never looked back, now I have her son and dont think Ive finished.
Still yearn for a rottie though.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Good Thread!

I have always loved bcs...but not sure when and how this got started...maybe 1 man & his dog was on a lot when I was younger . Anyway, before we got our family dog (a mongrel) I used to walk to school with my imaginary bc at my side..

As I grew up I read more and more that they should not be kept as pets and had decided that although I loved them, they probably weren't right for me (in any event during most of my adult life I wasn't in a position to have any kind of dog).

When we finally settled down & realised that we could finally have one, we decided to get an older dog from a rescue - we weren't bothered about breed - we were just going to go by our own judgement when we met the different dogs.

When we met Kip we both knew straight away that he was the one (well, OK, there was also a rough haired lurcher that was really cute that I would have been happy to take but OH said he was ugly!). Because Kip was already in rescue, was older and very quiet, my doubts about us having a bc as a pet didn't seem to apply to him. It was the best decision we ever made.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Well Ollie is a BMD and I did a lot of research as I wanted a calm gentle dog who loved Family life didn,t need loads of exercise but can keep up on a slow hike if needed as we only go slow now.
He fits all the categories only downside is they don,t have a long life span and are prone to cancer,but we knew this and decided to go for it and are glad we did.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-12-2006, 02:55 PM
I love my Labs.... happy to walk all day with ya, playfull, yet so laid back and happy to chill if ya fancy just being lazy for a while. Respond well to training and always looking to please ya.... the perfect dog for me
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-12-2006, 03:07 PM
In 1870 my grand-grand-grandfather bought a shorthaired red sheperd with a black face

Now 5 generations further down the road i own a malinois

guess it is something genetic

5th generations Malinois owners
3th generation Belgianringtrainer

what will be my sons dog?

Greetings

Johan
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
as soon as i left home i got my first cavalier i just loved them .....we always had big dogs when i lived at home i just wanted one to sit on my lap and love me LOL now i have 5 so no lap space left here
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Think I fell in love with borders from spending a lot of time as a child on a friends farm and we had a collie when I was very young. Apart from their intelligence, I just loved their cheeky ways. Unfortunately my job meant that it was not ideal for me to have any dog, until a few years ago when everything ticked the boxes at home to have one. I haven't looked back since. I would love to have some other breeds in the future but I find it difficult to look outside my bc box. The great thing about doing activities with your dog whether it be showing, agility etc. is that you meet lovely people and introduced to new breeds.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
My first dog was a hienze 57, his name was King, he looked like a wee black n tan collie, lovely wee guy only naughty thing he did was to eat the butter off the table, he was 18 when he finally left us, I grew up with him and my daughter was lucky enough to share a part of his life...then my GSD Floyd, she chewed the house to bits for 6 years and was my rock when my marriage crashed and burned, she left age 10 with a disease of the nerves at the base of her skull, she is what drives my passion for dogs, then Suki my beloved Shar Pei...what a character, not enough space here for me to ramble about them all, can't wait to meet them all at Rainbow Bridge, Now my 2 beautiful NI boys totally different again but amazing none the less, these are the main characters that have shaped my love of dogs, I have been involved with other rescue dogs, Tara Cocker Spaniel, Gelous Doberman bitch, Maverick liver Doberman, and Kizzy white GS x.
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »