View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Daysleeper40
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Sorry also meant to say - Tabatha, I just think that if you start out with an unhealthy design (for want of a better word!) such as the pug, then there are going to be health concerns regardless of which breed it is crossed with. You can only really complicate matters, and to do this just to create a fad "type" is massively irresponsible.

As I said in my above post - I completely agree with you about pure breeds who's characteristics are taken to the extreme and create health problems. You will regularly find me up in arms about it!!
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:31 PM
I can't decide what I think really. I think its immoral that anyone would get a dog to look good next to them. But then I think I chose Kia because she was beautiful. Then I would think she is beautiful because she is mine. The puggle looks alot healthier than the pug looking at the pictures. Though the pictures I have seen are only of puppies. I don't agree with any of it but then I think I am a hipercrit because my stepdad wanted a certain looking dog. I fnt care about dogs looks but then I have my preferences. As long as a dog has a good home then I don't mind. I just can't see these clebs looking after there dog for example if 'The simple Life' The did exactly look well after. In my opinion. Oh I don't know. Sorry for a very confusing thread
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:42 PM
I can't belive how small the teacups chichuahua are here is a website I found with the breed on it... http://www.tazchi.com/pages/tea_cup.htm
I find it quite upsetting they look so small, smaller than my rabbits.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2005, 01:57 PM
i think breeding for fashion is disgusting...its all about cash and not advancing the health of any dog..the only reason for this is pure money...Adverts in the Lancashire evening post last night...5 of them advertising pups due soon...normally there is only the odd one looking to rehome...xmas coming up, lets all cash in...thats the only thoguth behind this type of breeding!
Tabatha
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2005, 11:14 PM
It is always the case with cross breeds you never know what will be ‘gifted’ to the offspring, some will be good and some will be a disaster which is why a good deal of culling went on in the past when ‘new breeds’ were being evolved.[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe that "culling" is treated as just something to do and treated so lightly.....the way I look at it as long as the dog is perfectly healthy then it should be given a chance at life and not destroyed because its looks don't appeal to a certain individual!!

I find it distasteful that people can potray themselves as animal lovers and yet have no qualms about destroying a healthy pup, that is hypocrisy at its worst. I don't agree with puppy mills or farms and by right they should be outlawed, any kind of large scale breeding should be eradicated. By the same token some purebreds have been bred to extreme with no consideration to their health so how about exercising one's conscience and breed bulldogs and pugs with a longer nose and smaller heads, I could go on and on but I think you get my drift......
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 12:18 AM
to be honest
I have an even more extreme point of view - I hate to see all "new Breeds" as it is we have so many unwanted pets in this country and all across the worls but we are intent on breeding more an more and for what people want "perfect pets" its ridiculous.

Lets deal with all the unwanted pets wew have in rescue all over the world first before we start new breeds - or for that matter breed more and more of every bred - Eg: all the staffies that are bred day in day out when we already have more dogs that we need in shelters.

I just dont get it - accidental matin gis one thing but to purposely add to the overrun dog shelters we already have just saddens me.

dani:0
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2005, 08:11 AM
I too find the culling of fit animals repugnant but that is how 'new breeds' were and probably are developed. To produce animals that will reproduce true to type over generations mean using only those who meet the required standard in the breeding program for a large number of generations and those that do not have the required type either have to be found homes or destroyed.

As the development will involve the production of many litters, only some of the pups will have type and there will be a large number of pups who are not wanted for the breeding program and who’s adult size, type and temperament is unknown or can only be quessed at. If you can find homes for all these crossbreeds then that is good but what happens when the people who took the pups find they can’t for one reason for another keep them, will the breeder take them back, no of course not, the animal does not fit in the breeding program so as a young dog it will either be sent to rescue and possibly passed from hand to hand or PTS. This also applies to those who are for whatever reason just breeding crossbreeds not really trying to develop a 'New Breed' just a puppy that will sell for as much as possible.
dani_ella_87
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2008, 04:05 PM
when i watched the video on the site selling these puggets/les my beagle who was sleeping nicely woke up and watched it, she did not look happy!! so even the little doggies think it's a bad idea
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2008, 04:29 PM
The established breeds we have now were all once crosses and were I imagine bred for a reason/point. These days many many of us don't want or need a dog bred for a specific job we just want a companion/pet. I would think it would be better in some ways to create the type of dogs people really want rather than them having to take on dogs that are bred for a job they will never now be required to do.

I have had lots of terriers over the years not because I love that they want to hunt and kill but because I like how they look and their characters (when they aren't being murderous) it hasn't meant I loved them any less just because I like how they look, and I think assuming all the people buying puggles won't love them is wrong.

However I would say I think until we have empty rescue centres no one should be breeding any dogs at all, unless they have absolutely guaranteed homes for them.
zuhzoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2008, 04:31 PM
I have heard about Puggles before... How they can end up costing £3000 to buy. Now, why is there a need to charge that much, except for profit? From what I know, Puggles are already a puppy farmer's dream in America, and all I can say is... not here too!

I agree with the pug being extremely unhealthy in a collective review! They (and CKCS and bull dogs etc.) have a lot of trouble breathing. I am not going to blame it on any one person or the breed standard- I think there was a liking for the dogs with shorter noses, and so the short nosed dogs were kept to breed from. Eventually it became the standard for the breed and that was all that was accepted in the breed- a gradual thing.

I think the fashion industry of dogs is horrible too. Number one when choosing a dog (adult, or breed- puppies to some extent) should always be personality, two, health, and three, looks. Looks are important too (although it is possible to love a dog you think is ugly with all your heart, a dog you like the look of is the one whose breed or type you would be passionate for) but they are not, not, NOT the only reason you get a dog- so it can match your outfit.

*edit*
I also see the need for RESPONSIBLE breeding of most dog breeds- they need to be kept alive at a good standard and health, by good breeders. If the breeds were all left, and only rescue dogs taken, either eventually (due to numbers of neutered dogs[unlikely!]) the populations would fall, or more likely there would end up being the average sort of dog- medium sized, medium shaped, medium coat, etc. But eventually a sort of breed would start coming out again from the favoured dogs and work dogs. Breeds are always going to exist, IMO, because we like to know what we are expecting. (It's very useful!)
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >