Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kvla
New Member!
Female 

20-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Bad Manners

Hi everyone! I just joined this forum because I’m having a problem with my 2 year old Springer Spaniel mix. He’s been really good about other dogs and playing with them. He has a lot of energy so he’s pretty rough.

Whenever we go to the dog park he’s super excited and never willing to listen to me unless I sound angry. He won’t come to his name, or sit, or do “find me” which means he’s supposed to bolt to me immediately and it usually works, but not there.

He’s just so excited. As soon as he’s off leash he bolts out to meet the other dogs. At that point he’s super super far away from me but still in view. It used to be about 10 minutes, but now it’s only like 4 before he’s chasing and jumping a dog.

The only thing is it’s not like really bad humping. He’ll like tackle the dog to the ground and stand over them and then you hear some growling and a little fight breaks out. At that point the owners yell at me and say I shouldn’t bring him to the dog park and I feel terrible.

I’ve looked up how to handle this, but the options they give are hard for me to do because he always does it only at the dog park and when he’s far away so I can’t really stop him when it’s happening. It’s usually the other owner ripping him off while I run to put him on a leash.

I’m so frustrated. I want to let him play with other dogs because he LOVES to play and it would break my heart if I couldn’t socialize him anymore, but I can’t stop him from dominating other dogs and causing a fight!!

Please if you have any idea what I can do to help his problem Id love to hear it ):

Thanks
Forgotten
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2018, 05:02 PM
I hate rude and out of control dogs that come and want to play with my dogs, and my dogs don't like it either!

Keep him on the lead until you can control him, one day he will pick on a dog that is bigger and stronger than he is and then it will be you doing the shouting.
Bad manners and very rude!!

I hope someone comes along who can help you!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2018, 05:19 PM
I'd go further and say keep away from the dog park until you have control of him.

Have you thought about taking him to training so that you can be shown how to handle him in exciting situations? It's well worth consideration
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2018, 11:36 PM
Couple of things spring straight to mind. Have you asked the other dog owners first if your dog can play with their dog.
Remember dogs don't know words but they do recognise tone of voice and the sound a word makes

it is totally useless saying "come here you norty dog" they don't understand. You need one word commands and be authorative when saying it. If obeyed then praise the animal so they now you are happy with their reaction

One other thing is that if using a training club, dogs soon get to know that when there they have to obey, once outside it is the doggy version of the one finger and "Up Yours"

So the training has to be maintained everywhere and eventually the dog should respond. Maybe a flexilead (they are made in different lengths) and a command might work in the first instances
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-01-2018, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kvla View Post
Hi everyone! I just joined this forum because I’m having a problem with my 2 year old Springer Spaniel mix. He’s been really good about other dogs and playing with them. He has a lot of energy so he’s pretty rough.

Whenever we go to the dog park he’s super excited and never willing to listen to me unless I sound angry. He won’t come to his name, or sit, or do “find me” which means he’s supposed to bolt to me immediately and it usually works, but not there.

He’s just so excited. As soon as he’s off leash he bolts out to meet the other dogs. At that point he’s super super far away from me but still in view. It used to be about 10 minutes, but now it’s only like 4 before he’s chasing and jumping a dog.

The only thing is it’s not like really bad humping. He’ll like tackle the dog to the ground and stand over them and then you hear some growling and a little fight breaks out. At that point the owners yell at me and say I shouldn’t bring him to the dog park and I feel terrible.

I’ve looked up how to handle this, but the options they give are hard for me to do because he always does it only at the dog park and when he’s far away so I can’t really stop him when it’s happening. It’s usually the other owner ripping him off while I run to put him on a leash.

I’m so frustrated. I want to let him play with other dogs because he LOVES to play and it would break my heart if I couldn’t socialize him anymore, but I can’t stop him from dominating other dogs and causing a fight!!

Please if you have any idea what I can do to help his problem Id love to hear it ):

Thanks
Has he been neutered?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2018, 06:54 AM
Neutering isn't always the answer, positive firm training is. As others have said keep on lead until you can control him properly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2018, 01:06 PM
You need to train your dog to follow commands. Those commands need to be practised consistently and persistently. He should learn to stop playing when you say by saying "Enough " or command of your choice before you let him loose on other peoples dogs. He won't learn if he's at a distance and you can't reach him quickly. It makes no difference whether he is neutered or what he's fed, they're just smokescreens, he needs to be taught obedience. Practise over and over and he'll get there.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2018, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Neutering isn't always the answer, positive firm training is. As others have said keep on lead until you can control him properly.
The question was addressed to the OP.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2018, 10:21 PM
I hate the modern trend of neutering ... it makes no difference to their obedience or behaviour. My Ben was neutered by a rescue place and it took us several years to achieve what we have with him. I dont like chopping off male dogs balls ... it changes their character.
SirRiley
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2018, 11:16 PM
I would suggest training outside of the dog park first so he learns to generalize the commands you practice elsewhere also apply at the dog park. Then once he is solid outside try a day when there aren't many other dogs and bring him in with a long line and practice. If he doesn't listen take a step back and keep practicing outside until you can bring him back inside again.