View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Ok, the questions. Ref health issues for the Labradoodle, it mentions HD and eye problems. The Goldendoodle is the one where they have said to get a first generation cross. Health problems are more in this breed, Goldendoodle, (according to the programme). They have mentioned HD, eye problems, (one which can lead to blindness) and also VWD.

As I have said, these were just two breeds on the programme, there were many designer breeds.

The geneticist at the start of the programme does say that by no means does it mean you are getting a healthy dog by crossing two breeds.

I think it is a well balanced programme but if you are against designer breeds, then of course this is not the 'episode' for you.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
You go much lower and abuse us and our dogs - let me explain just so you understand - you're insulting about our choice of dogs then you insult poor defenceless dogs who you don't even know.

So you don't like Labs, GSD's, Poodles etc then? As for your last comment, I imagine then you must rile people for trying to make them look stupid whilst making yourself look childish.

Without poodles there wouldn't be any doodles - btw don't you know your breeds genetic history??? You should go and check; all dogs including Poodles are crosses but mostly MONGRELS!!

I suggest animal-lover, Elmo and anyone else who have crossbreeds or doodles have no further involvement with these threads anymore because after all these sad repetitive people just want a reaction so without it these threads will fizzle to nothing.
I think you'll find it's actually you lot that wants a reaction hence why alot of certain dogs owners have a habit of getting banned of forums!

I know all about my breed thanks very much. You will find poodles are far from common aswell. Atleast well bred, health tested ones
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by AllyLambell View Post
So you don't like Labs, GSD's, Poodles etc then? As for your last comment, I imagine then you must rile people for trying to make them look stupid whilst making yourself look childish.

Without poodles there wouldn't be any doodles - btw don't you know your breeds genetic history??? You should go and check; all dogs including Poodles are crosses but mostly MONGRELS!!

I suggest animal-lover, Elmo and anyone else who have crossbreeds or doodles have no further involvement with these threads anymore because after all these sad repetitive people just want a reaction so without it these threads will fizzle to nothing.
I like them but personally dont think I would own them, I perfer and choose to own the dogs that are not so over populated.. Not for that reason, Just happens that the breeds I like are not coming out of the place left right and centre.. But from some peoples comments It seems, some think thats a good thing.. (Their choosen breed coming out all over the place I mean)!

I dont make my self look childish by correcting some one I correct them, on the breed Fable Is and tell them I would never own such a cross breed as suggested Fable was.. stating facts nothing more, nothing less!

I dont own Poodles.. and of course I know the history of a breed I own (although not fully, Im still learning) but then again no one knows the true history of all breed. I mean look at some of the Doodles .. what a way some of them were brought Into the world, fake pedigrees, from dogs that dont even exist

If you choose not to get Involved In these type of threads thats your problem, no one will stop you leaving them, just like no one will stop you posting In them. But what I will point out Is this forum Is alot different to the other we all use to be members on and wont fall for the 'Im being picked on because of the dogs I own line'..
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
But what I will point out Is this forum Is alot different to the other we all use to be members on and wont fall for the 'Im being picked on because of the dogs I own line'..
Funny how they always seem to fall back on that line

As for the fake pedigrees some of the big kennels have been made aware of their pedigrees being used and the fact some of their pups have been used
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I have my own 'breeds' of designer dogs, step in my Grey Shepherd and my Salhound, now have you ever heard of any of them before!
IMO designer dogs are over breed and over priced and a product of many money grabbers realising another way to get money, don't get me wrong poodle crosses are nice dogs, my aunty has a lovely labrador poodle mix, and I have seen many of this cross, but they are two intelligant working breeds, people wonder why there dog misbehaves, moults and is a lot of work, well look at the breeds in your mix and do something to keep that clever mind occupied!
I'm just glad that I have been able to put a couple of people from churning out anymore of the crosses.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Funny how they always seem to fall back on that line

As for the fake pedigrees some of the big kennels have been made aware of their pedigrees being used and the fact some of their pups have been used
Good! But lets not forget the damage Beverley Manners done with all her dodgy antics!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by animal-lover View Post
Hooray its great that doodles are over populated bring it on...we want MORE!!!!!!
Most people would be horrified that their type is over populated as it generally means that people who shouldn't own a goldfish are breeding dogs and the dogs end up suffering because of it.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Think it is ok to pop the link on:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/d...designer-dogs/
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2010, 02:09 PM
This was a good episode too:

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/d...re-dog-breeds/
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Some thoughts on crossbreeds, mongrels, designer breeds...whatever you like to call them

'You don't know what you're getting'

There is truth to this and anyone getting a cross should consider the breed characteristics of the parents. However, everyone knows that dogs do vary, within breeds (in terms of looks, character etc.) How many dogs are 'disappointments' to their owners because they have chosen a GSD that doesn't guard, a collie that chases sheep etc? However, many (most?) crosses are going to pet homes anyway where the owners will take the dog as they find it.

It's interesting that as dog owners we are fast to say 'it's the owner, not the breed' when a dog attacks and dogs of all breeds (and none!) can be trained to the basic standards which mean the dog is a pleasure to be around. Obviously if your dog is a working dog and very particular traits are required, it is a different matter and I can see that a specific breed would make more sense (although why not crosses of similar breeds?). Most owners though, I think are basically pet owners.

'People pay silly money for something that isn't even a breed!'

Well, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and on a basic level, something, including a mutt, is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. How many of us would rather go hungry ourselves than to give our dogs away? People rescue dogs and still pay thousands in vet care because the dog is worth it to them. I would pay not to have one of those chinese crested dogs that devildogz breeds but I can equally understand that for her they are the cutest dogs in the world. How much is a spinone in a dog pound worth?

Also, these dogs don't cost £1000s in many cases, ours certainly didn't, and yes, we knew we were getting a Heinz! If people are misled to buy something that isn't what they think, it is a different matter - and I am against big commercialization of breeding - but let's face it, this is by no means limited to those selling cross breeds.

'Cross-breeders don't care about the health of the dogs'

Well in some cases this is clearly true but coming from KC affectionados is a real case of pot & kettle. Unfortunately unscrupulous breeders are found everywhere and the health problems of popular breeds including GSD, dalmatian, bull-dog etc. are very well known amongst the general public. There are a number of breeders at all levels who need to clean up their act.

'Designer dogs are faddy and just bred for looks'

Breeds of dog also go in fads and many are basically now bred for looks. Even working types have changed to reflect the very specific standards of KC and IMO this is what has caused horrendous in-breeding and health problems amongst well-known breeds. Again this is a case of blame the owner/breeders, not the breed - should we all pick on the Staffie breed just because it is in vogue as chavvy status dog? To use the chinese crested as another example, this is clearly a breed 'designed' by human intervention (as are all dogs). They have an appeal to people and that's why they are still around - if not they would have died out as a breed (like 100s of breeds through the centuries).

'I would not personally have a cross-breed/mongrel'

Haha - that's hilarious, do you own a wolf then? Sorry to tell you that poodles were not on the ark with Noah

Just out of interest do the guys on here that get so upset about crossbreeding have strong views on mixed relationships amongst humans? Or is it only dogs where incest isn't much of a taboo as long as purity of breed (race) is maintained?
Page 7 of 53 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »