View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 03:04 PM
i think she is with the springer rescue group and i have looked at their site, i think my requirements are too specific and maybe i should loosen up, my male border we feel will only accept a bitch (he is nuetered) and also my female lurcher x is very subservient to other dogs so she is less of a problem, due to the fact we are a very active family i do not think it would be fair to rehome an older dog who may wish to slow down in life so that means a younger dog and not many of them are in rescue.
I am still in the process of working out these rescue orgs, we rehomed our old boy 14 years ago and things seemed a little less rigid back then, sadly our old boy has gone and we wanted to honour him by giving a rescue a fresh start but i think it is looking like a puppy sometime late this year or early next.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Was also going to suggest you try a specific breed rescue. Dont give up, the right rescue is out there waiting for you and you WILL be considered by a LOT of rescues xx
jodotc
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2010, 03:06 PM
I can relate to the trials of "rescuing"! Whilst I am sympathetic to their requiremements for vetting their new homes, I agree that some establishments can be suitably vague before they make you jump through all their hoops and , like you, feel that I am being pushed towards buying a puppy, which is somewhat frustrating, to say the least! I often wonder, very cynically I know, if some of these places either have a hidden agenda, or they get so fanatical about their work that it all depends upon whether "your face fits", at the end of the day. Anyway, I wish you luck with your search. There are many rescue places, maybe just put that one aside and try somewhere else. You might get a more refreshing response.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Oh how frustrating, did they not put forward any names of other dogs they have that may suited you to see if there was one of those you liked?

For the majority of dogs nowadays, I don't feel that 4 hours to be left alone is a long time at all so don't worry (excluding those with issues and not immediately when any dog is rehomed of course) Mine get left longer frequently. You are in a good position to take on a rescue dog, better than I was at the time, luckily the lazy lump I rescued suited being left alone to sleep a lot and since then my working hours have decreased.

There will be loads of young suitable rescue dogs out there for you, please keep looking and don't be disheartened
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Oh how frustrating, did they not put forward any names of other dogs they have that may suited you to see if there was one of those you liked?

For the majority of dogs nowadays, I don't feel that 4 hours to be left alone is a long time at all so don't worry (excluding those with issues and not immediately when any dog is rehomed of course) Mine get left longer frequently. You are in a good position to take on a rescue dog, better than I was at the time, luckily the lazy lump I rescued suited being left alone to sleep a lot and since then my working hours have decreased.

There will be loads of young suitable rescue dogs out there for you, please keep looking and don't be disheartened
Thank you, no the e-mail just said they will not consider rehoming this dog to me due to hours worked, i would have booked a few weeks of work to settle him in with my 2, ah well not meant to be, i will keep looking at rescues while i look for suitable breeders for later this year or early next.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I would definately pursue the breed specific rescue you know.

We have had 2 litters of puppies in ours over the past year, and numerous youngsters. It seems common for the dog to reach 7/8 months old then the owner realises he's not such a cute cuddly baby bear now and "oops I didn't bother to train him either"

I help out with one charity and we work so hard to match up dogs with owners, spending lots of time on the phone, then meeting and greeting, transpoting dogs for people to meet theirs or move in etc. Dogs go to people who work ALL day, because that is what they have been used to all their lives and are very happy with this - obv providing they get enough physical and mental stimulation at other times.

I find that people who are passionate about a breed will do everything they can to see these dogs gets the right home.

Good luck xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
i applied to rehome a 10 month old cocker spaniel
Hi astle maybe an adult dog would be a better option for you, I don't really know your circumstances.

I think rescues should look at dogs individually and I am sure many do. It is so sad to see a puppy of this age in a rescue in the first place. I guess some puppies find themselves in this position precisely because their owners haven't devoted enough time to them and so when finding a new home they need someone who is able to be with them and give them the training and attention they need otherwise they could end up back in a rescue .
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Really sorry hun, I know some rescues would turn me down, as I will not neuter my boys unless for health reasons, my Pointer will be spayed soon though... I am sure you will find a rescue soon, not all of them have the same policies
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-05-2010, 03:33 PM
i will keep trying.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
Thank you, no the e-mail just said they will not consider rehoming this dog to me due to hours worked, i would have booked a few weeks of work to settle him in with my 2, ah well not meant to be, i will keep looking at rescues while i look for suitable breeders for later this year or early next.
Astle I note they say 'this dog' a few weeks may not be enough for this puppy, at 10 month he may have already developed some behavioural problems that require a lot of attention .

Not wishing to sound harsh but whose needs should a rescue put first, those of the dog being re-homed or those of the prospective owner. I would hope the needs of this puppy come first.

I am sure the right dog for you is out there waiting somewhere
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »