Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
No we don't need more breeds, or dogs actually! There aren't enough homes to go round for the ones already in the world! I personally could never bring myself to buy a dog from a breeder, nevermind a designer dog.

To me, for every dog you buy from a breeder, that's like killing a dog in rescue isn't it?

Sorry, gone off topic
Have to agree with labradork on that one, never really understand the logic of such statements????

Where did you get your Akita's from, they came from a breeder, were do you think every dog in rescue came from a breeder.

Do you really think if everyone stopped buying from breeders and went to rescues it would stop dogs ending up in rescue??

Putting guilt trips on those who choose to buy from a breeder is not going to stop the practice of irresponsible breeding.

The reason dogs die in rescue is because of the over population of indiscriminate breeding...and thats what kills dogs in rescue, the irresponsible!!!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Have to agree with labradork on that one, never really understand the logic of such statements????

Where did you get your Akita's from, they came from a breeder, were do you think every dog in rescue came from a breeder.

Do you really think if everyone stopped buying from breeders and went to rescues it would stop dogs ending up in rescue??

Putting guilt trips on those who choose to buy from a breeder is not going to stop the practice of irresponsible breeding.

The reason dogs die in rescue is because of the over population of indiscriminate breeding...and thats what kills dogs in rescue, the irresponsible!!!
My akitas came from homes where silly people got them from breeders in the spin of a hat then decided they didn't want them anymore and chucked them out of their family home. They're rescued.

To me it's simple, I see loads of Akitas going through rescue... There aren't enough kennel spaces for them, so the owner begrudgingly holds onto them for a time, whilst we frantically try to find new homes for them. Many a time the owner gives up and has in the past just driven to their vet and had the poor dog put down.

Now if the next person wanting an Akita took this Akita on instead of getting one from a breeder - one less dog dead, yes?

"Do you really think if everyone stopped buying from breeders and went to rescues it would stop dogs ending up in rescue??" No, but there would be more spaces in rescues so might not be as many dogs being put down.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Everyone has a right to enjoy bringing a pup up though.

rune
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Not wanting to raise anyone's hackles but I dont see why people get stressed about all this.

I am eagerly awaiting the day when I can go and pick up my puppy - a lovely black cockerpoo. Is he a pedigree - obviously not. Do I care? Not a jot.

My last dog was a rescue puppy mutt from an RSPCA and I loved and looked after him for 12 years till he died from liver cancer. A few months before he got ill I saw a lovely looking dog and asked the owner what it was - the first time I heard about cockerpoo's. On reading about them later I was surprised to find that they have been around for about 60yrs, although mainly in the States.

When my lovely dog had to be put to sleep I researched about cockerpoo's and eventually decided that I would get one.

Am I mad to pay for what is essentially a mongrel - maybe, but it is a free choice and one that I am happy to make so what does it matter?

Yes, I could go and get a dog from the rescue people, but so could everyone on here who has paid for a dog from a breeder, and I dont read much criticism about someone getting a Rotty or GSD pup from a breeder.

The problem about there being too many dogs ending up in rescue centres, or being destroyed because they dont have a home to go to is a legitimate concern, but unless dog ownership is put on a much more formal footing, with owners having to register their pets (pedigree or not), maybe on an annual basis, with compulsory chipping etc with all the cost implications that may involve, then I dont see that changing.

It is irresponsible dog ownership that is the problem, not the number of dog breeds available, and that is something no one seems willing to tackle.
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
When I registered El Vez with the vet, he had a laugh when we filled out the breed section and said mongrel. I could have given him a silly name like a poingo or a galter, but let's face it he is a mongrel.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
You won't raise hackles Montysmum because at the end of the day it's down to personal choice and experience. I understand that.

As much as everyone should have the fun of bringing up a pup Rune, everybody should also have the satisfaction of bringing a rescue dog into their home and seeing the love from them develop beyond anything else. (ps. I had the fun of bringing a pup up....from a pregnant akita who gave birth in rescue )
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
My akitas came from homes where silly people got them from breeders in the spin of a hat then decided they didn't want them anymore and chucked them out of their family home. They're rescued.

To me it's simple, I see loads of Akitas going through rescue... There aren't enough kennel spaces for them, so the owner begrudgingly holds onto them for a time, whilst we frantically try to find new homes for them. Many a time the owner gives up and has in the past just driven to their vet and had the poor dog put down.

Now if the next person wanting an Akita took this Akita on instead of getting one from a breeder - one less dog dead, yes?

"Do you really think if everyone stopped buying from breeders and went to rescues it would stop dogs ending up in rescue??" No, but there would be more spaces in rescues so might not be as many dogs being put down.
...if there are no breeders breeding dogs, then NO ONE would own a dog because there wouldn't be any! unless we are talking about stray dogs which have given birth on the street, every dog has has 'bred' by someone, including the vast majority of rescues.

You won't raise hackles Montysmum because at the end of the day it's down to personal choice and experience. I understand that.

As much as everyone should have the fun of bringing up a pup Rune, everybody should also have the satisfaction of bringing a rescue dog into their home and seeing the love from them develop beyond anything else. (ps. I had the fun of bringing a pup up....from a pregnant akita who gave birth in rescue )
It is all preference though, isn't it? I've got no problem with rescue dogs, but my preference is for raising them from puppies. And the breeds I like and would like to own in the VERY distant future, are highly unlikely to be found as puppies in rescue (or even as adults really!). Should I give my choice of breed/s up just because some people breed irresposibily and the result of their actions (the poor dogs/pups) end up in rescue? I don't think so!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
...if there are no breeders breeding dogs, then NO ONE would own a dog because there wouldn't be any! unless we are talking about stray dogs which have given birth on the street, every dog has has 'bred' by someone, including the vast majority of rescues.

It is all preference though, isn't it? I've got no problem with rescue dogs, but my preference is for raising them from puppies. And the breeds I like and would like to own in the VERY distant future, are highly unlikely to be found as puppies in rescue (or even as adults really!). Should I give my choice of breed/s up just because some people breed irresposibily and the result of their actions (the poor dogs/pups) end up in rescue? I don't think so!
I didn't say nobody should breed? This wasn't the topic. Obviously, in an ideal world, less breeders - only reputable breeders breeding, not random dog owners 'down the street'

No, you may not find your breed in a rescue centre....straight away but I doubt, never. If you 'want the breed you want and want it now' then that's your personal choice, of course.

I am certainly not telling you to not buy a particular breed of dog as a result of irressponsible people's actions!!! It's bad enough dogs having to suffer!

But if the people who wanted a more 'common' breed of dog often found in rescue, then why not?

Pups and young dogs in rescue are increasing dramatically each year recently since I have been involved.
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2010, 12:55 PM
I totally agree with getting a dog from rescue if your home situation is such that it's possible.... however, if you have small children getting a dog from rescue is a risk... I don't know what it's like in the UK, but many of the dogs in rescue in Holland are in rescue because they don't like small children, or are unsafe around them....

As for pedigree or mutt.... as long as it's a good sweet dog who cares? The only really useful thing about a pure-bred dog as far as I'm concerned is that you have more information to fall back on as far as breed characteristics etc before making your choice (and when you run into potential problems along the way)... but even then it says nothing about the specific dog's character...

I do laugh at the names people come up with for their crosses: I was just talking to my brother who has a new little Yorkshire terrier boy.... if it were physically possible to cross our two dogs (Yorkie X Border Collie.... don't worry, not going to happen, Tess's been speyed), what would you call it: Borkie? Border Terrier (oops, already exists... what're they a cross between)? Yorkshire Collie?

Any idea's?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Borky Yorky!!

Originally Posted by cintvelt View Post
I totally agree with getting a dog from rescue if your home situation is such that it's possible.... however, if you have small children getting a dog from rescue is a risk... I don't know what it's like in the UK, but many of the dogs in rescue in Holland are in rescue because they don't like small children, or are unsafe around them....
Reputable rescues do have dogs go through that have lived with kids and it is proven through assessments etc, but of course, a lot of families WILL always want a new pup brought in to be 100% sure - they may not trust the information. Also sometimes with current dogs they have already in their home...they may feel it is easier to bond a new pup with them.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »