Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Can harnesses harm puppies development?

My mate went to buy a harness for his Dobie pup (Suki's brother) and was told by Pets at Home assistant that he shouldn't buy one. He was told by said assistant that they cause damage to pups under nine months old.

I certainly have never heard this and of course Suki has been on a harness since her first walk because a) I think they're safer - i.e. they can't slip out of them and b) because we'd been told that Dobies can be prone to neck/spinal damage.

What do you think?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Hmmm i wasnt told that when i bought a harness for my pup from PAH. And i also advised my nan to get a harness for her pup (in fact i gave her Vienna's old ones.)

I would have thought a good harness is much better than just a collar and lead until the pup can walk without pulling as it distributes any pressure evenly against a larger, stronger area i.e the chest and or shoulders rather than the pressure being on the dogs neck. I dont know that for a fact or anything i just thought it was logical.

My pup is now just over 7 months old and i have only just stopped having her on her harness all the time as she doesnt pull very much (and i am using a halti now) and she is nearly full grown.

Will be interested to hear what others have to say
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:24 PM
Mya's on a harness and she gets so panicky when humans approach. Personally, I couldn't walk her without one. I prefer them - I think they're safer - any strain is spread over a larger area, and they can't be slipped.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:33 PM
My thoughts exactly. We had an incident whereby my SIL (thinking she was doing us a favour!!!) took Suki out for a walk with just her collar and lead. To cut a long story short - big dog threatned Suki and she started to flip on the collar, choking of course as they do!

I'd always believed that equal spread (especially when they pull) was better. We now use a Halti and the harness so less pulling. It's all padded too so doesn't chaff her skin.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:37 PM
The only problem with the equal spread - it means when Mya wants to head home, she goes into sled-dog mode - quite amusing to watch (from the other end of the lead) but plays havoc with your arm muscles. That young lady is certainly a strong little miss!
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:45 PM
lol Vicki, you should try the same with with a 9 stone rottweiler instead
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by Stephanie
lol Vicki, you should try the same with with a 9 stone rottweiler instead
I'm way too feeble for that Steph - even if Murph is a bit handicapped at the moment!
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-07-2006, 11:00 PM
I dont know at what age a dog can be walked with a harness, but I certainly wouldn't put any faith in what a "pets at home" assistant told me
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ray
I dont know at what age a dog can be walked with a harness, but I certainly wouldn't put any faith in what a "pets at home" assistant told me
yep that's what I thought too!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-07-2006, 11:13 PM
I would be a bit wary about using a harness on a puppy whose bones and joints are still developing. The old school of thought is that if the pup pulls into the harness there is the possibility that the vulnerable bones of the chest and shoulders may 'spread'. Whether this is scientifically valid I don't know, but it seems logical and worth considering.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >