Our sister sites
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
So sorry
It's ok, no worries.

But my point being is that even those parents who don't lay their hands on a child can still harm their children. I think discipline is one of those things that has to be done right, with both parents on the same page, so as not to screw the child up.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dogloverlou View Post
It's ok, no worries.

But my point being is that even those parents who don't lay their hands on a child can still harm their children. I think discipline is one of those things that has to be done right, with both parents on the same page, so as not to screw the child up.
Absolutely agree with you.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2014, 03:14 AM
I had five children and do not believe in corporal punishment. The only thing I think it teaches a child is that somebody bigger is allowed to hurt them and they better figure out how not to get caught the next time.
What does work? Time out, not being able to watch a TV show or play a video game. But not a physical punishment. You can gain respect in more civil ways.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Couldn't agree more lovemybull. What use teaching children that other adults are not allowed to threaten, scare or hurt them and they should not allow it and report it if they are being taught that it's ok if their parents do?

Most kids who don't report abuse keep quiet because they've been threatened with physical harm by someone bigger than them.

It's the SIZE aspect of it that gets me. If our kids were hatched full grown I doubt we'd consider smacking! And I doubt parents smack kids who've outgrown them! Is this 'because I am bigger and stronger than you' aspect I don't like ... it's the reasoning of a bully.

Always surprises me when the same people who insist they'd NEVER hit their dogs to teach them right from wrong seem to think it's OK for little kids?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Perhaps this is the answer?!!!
http://blog.petflow.com/i-cant-stop-...lieve-the-end/
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post

mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
LOL! Yes, how hilarious! He's just standing there not knowing what to do while the child completely embarrasses him. The end was good advice for him
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I had five children and do not believe in corporal punishment. The only thing I think it teaches a child is that somebody bigger is allowed to hurt them and they better figure out how not to get caught the next time.
What does work? Time out, not being able to watch a TV show or play a video game. But not a physical punishment. You can gain respect in more civil ways.
I was punished like that, enjoyed time outs in my room frankly... especially when people came over I didn't like such as my grandma. Would act up just to be sent to my room so I'd not have to endure her presence.

Always liked reading more than T.V. which of course I never let my parents know so can honestly say that those forms of punishment were awesome to me, and in the absence of spankings, I could more or less do whatever I wanted.

Some of the most violent people in the world were hit and/or abused as children so really I can't see what lashings and other severe forms of physical punishments do to children other than make them angry at the world.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I was beaten as a child, whilst my brother was cherished and cossetted.

I never laid a hand to my own daughter and believe that with children and dogs consistency and fairness is the key. Certianly that is my ethos.

I did use a harness on my daughter, she could be like the little boy in the condom ad and it was done soley to keep her safe. I would not walk a dog without excellent recall next to a road without a lead on, so I did the same with my daughter, who would slip her hand free if she felt the need and run off or throw herself onto the floor. Not only did the harness for the short timeit was used work, but it prevented actions like throwing herself on the floor or trying to run off.

You may be surprised, until they are old enough to verbally explain and reason with them, children are like dogs! (I can say that here, we are all dog lovers).

I could never be good enough for my mother who would spend her last few ££'s on drink or cigs, leaving me to try and make something for our tea from very little. I would get the blame for things my brother did wrong, when I was completely innocent.

The irony is my poor niece gets hit by her dad and he also uses pschological bullying on his wife and children - but I cannot get them to leave

Whilst I have always trained dogs with kindness and consistency. Which is the same method I use with teenagers where I work.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I was expecting to see something worse than that from what was being said, to be honest we were reined as children I used them on the children I parented too, I can't see a problem with them. He was being awkward walking backwards and eventually realised he was not getting what he wanted and walked properly. They keep children safe IMO.
absolutely re safety

driving near a school at home time my heart is in my mouth as the kids race on and off pavements.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >