Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
sorry how is that different, both do the same thing. check chain and slip leads are the same
A nylon slip lead doesnt pull anywhere near as hard as a bit of chain would around a dogs neck I would imagine.
One of my threads is about training Khal to walk to heel, he doesnt pull on the lead he wanders along in front of me to the left or right of me, so it made no difference to him having the slip lead on as he very rarely pulls.
More for my peace of mind than anything.
It didnt pull his fur, it didnt hurt his neck..it was just there as precaution.
Now that I know what he is like on the lead & am alot more confident with him, he has normal collar & lead.
I know plenty of people that use slip leads, but its just for ease of getting it on&off when dogwalking, not because their dogs pull them along...
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2011, 12:31 PM
My dog Ruby does have a choke chain as a collar but she doesn't pull, at all. I only started using it as she spends alot of time in the water and then she would end up getting a sore neck under where her collar as hee thick fur would take a while to dry out under her neck and there would be sand or mud trapped under it. When I get home I just slip the chain over her head, but thats the ONLY reason she wears one, she doesn't pull so it is never tight on her neck.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I think that chains are better, my dogs dont pull either, but I dont like that way a slip lead doesn't loosen like a chain does, in the event there is tension put on it.
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2011, 10:25 PM
To be honest I used to use one but only when we first had Keila, she always walked beautiful with us and I cannot remember one single time it tightened, even at the start when she came to us. She wouldn't budge an inch from the house if you put any other type of collar on her was very strange, I assume it was because this was the only collar she had ever really had and was used to it, not 100% on this theory mind.

Once she trusted us 100% I changed the chain for your normal average collar that was strong enough for her and she never grumbled once, on walks she was never on lead unless someone on a bike, horse, with a child etc passed (not because she would do anything but for the person passings comfort) so think she though oh well its never clipped to anything so why should I worry

I had never used one prior to this and wouldn't again unless put in the same situation with a dog that will only wear that type but it would only be to allow the dog to feel a bit of normality until it was comfortable enough with me and my choice
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Yes they are quite beneficial if used properly
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2017, 10:19 AM
First of all they are NOT call "Choker Chains" but "Check Chains/Collars". The difference is obvious

They are not designed to choke but as a quick checking device and have to be put around a dogs neck to correct way.

As dogs are or should be trained to walk on the left side the easiest way to make sure the chain is put on correctly is to put it on the left wrist representing the dogs neck . The chain should be loose and checking by pulling up and falling back to the loose release position. If pulling up and stays there then the chain is on the wrong way round.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2017, 02:46 PM
I think they are a bad tool to use for training. I wish all shops would stop selling them.
Wheeler
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2017, 12:30 AM
Why do you think that?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 09:22 AM
Why does anyone find it acceptable to use equipment specifically designed to cause pain and discomfort?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2017, 09:44 AM
I agree with Chris. After training many and various breeds of dogs over many years check chains/choke chains are in my honest opinion a very bad thing to use. We have only ever used proper buckle collars and leather/web leads. All of them have been well trained by their owners under our guidance on how to train their pup or older dog. Be it rescue or other. Kind methods always must be used to get a close bond with your dog.
Page 14 of 20 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »