View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 01:31 PM
to be honest, I think the slip collar/slip lead is an interpretation of the guidelines that has been 'stretched'. It would be interesting to see the KC's actual view on whether these can be regarded to be 'different' enough to warrant one being allowed and the other not.

Similarly, the harness issue. A static harness is akin to the the flat collar in that it allows us to comply with the law when restriction is required by law. A choke chain, headcollar, stop pull harness etc are more to do with training and management.

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree with the KC ruling on this which I personally believe is very strange
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 02:59 PM
I think the slip collar/slip lead is an interpretation of the guidelines that has been 'stretched'. It would be interesting to see the KC's actual view on whether these can be regarded to be 'different' enough to warrant one being allowed and the other not

Well their actual view is clearly written in the guidelines, a slip lead may not be used, there is no prohibition on the choke chain (this was specifically discussed at the training days I attended, all 3).

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree with the KC ruling on this which I personally believe is very strange

But I have merely stated the facts as they currently stand, I have not professed whether or not I agree with it or not................

As an examiner, instructor, handler I have to abide by the guidelines or not take part.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
It is easier for trainers as they can set their own rules for choke chains, slip collars etc. The majority of my clients preferred the harness route rather than flat collar - particularly for small dogs - and I agreed and encouraged them.

Collars were worn to accommodate tags so it was quite an easy task to attach the lead to the collar for the test, but clients often complained about it and I really don't blame them.

The KC are a little strange with some of their rulings. I personally think this will be reflected in time to come as other organisations devise their own testing procedures and participating trainers opt for those instead. Whether they will be as popular with the general public remains to be seen as, like it or loathe it, anything with the KC tag seems to impress them
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
A collar and lead must be worn for every award level. This maybe flat collar, half check or full check providing it is suitable for that dog and it is used and fitted correctly.
A check chain correctly fitted and attached to a lead is perfectly acceptable. A lead which continues as an all in one is not allowed.
From KC - they obviously see a difference and have no issue with it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Personally I prefer the BH in Schutzhund as an overall test of control, or the Temperament Test which is based on this.

I think it is more robust, although it does not have any questions in the latter........
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi Dobermann,

My dog was not allowed a tug toy, he was not allowed anything that squeaked, he was not allowed a ball and he wasnt particularly food motivated for the training side either. Why? because of his BREED!

When you say the above who disallowed these, you or the trainer?

The 'trainer'

Play can mean a myriad of things, so you can tug, play ball, tickle your dog's tum etc etc etc a good trainer will give those people whose dogs are not motivated by toys or food some scenarios to try, a good examiner will too.

Basically, see above. I noticed all guarding breeds were 'acting' if you like (1x GSD 1x Weimeraner 1xDobermann) busy watching all the growling, snatching etc so none were really up for rolling around having thier tummies tickled and we were basically banned from having the toys that they liked.....apparently dominant breeds, jealous, start a fight...great if they just want to do a trick for a treat, thats not exactly play IMO though (at that stage)and if they didnt have plush toys (which at a young age none of them did for obvious reasons - big puppy, soft toy not last long lol) fine for all the spaniels etc that just like to hold anything I suppose lol

also because of his neck shape I refused to have him walk in there practically choking on the stupid fit if his collar rule and only adjusted it before they came to inspect....totally impractical so dosnt necessarily allow the 'standard' to transfer to 'real life'

sorry if I sound a bit dim, but I don't really understand what you are trying to say here re the collar?

They had the rule of in the test the examiner will want to get no more than a couple of fingers in under the collar and they shouldnt be able to 'slip it' either - this was stressed to us - well this meant for him to not slip his collar and to only get two fingers under the collar max, that it had to sit right at the top of his neck and he could hardly breathe, loose lead or not, then if it was further down his neck, he could slip it (as neck wider at the bottom...) I get the point of this but was a bit much...surley a Dobe isnt the only breed you get this problem with...

The KC system is not perfect and of course relies on the good administration of it in class which depends on the competency of the individual trainers.

Agreed. However just how closley are the KC looking into who is doing these courses, examinations and how training and advice is being delivered? TBH I think that trainer has made it bleeding obvious why she has 'softer' breeds herself - anything else would be too much dog for her!! IMHO maybe have to think past 'dogs like food'....

If you can expand on the above perhaps I can respond with my views.

HTH
Hopefully you can, it would be interesting to hear from the view of someone who is an examiner for these course tests.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:28 PM
If you look at the guidelines it is clear that any trainer who uses methods contrary to the KC guidelines on welfare etc should be reported to them and that club may well be de registered etc etc.

The problem is that many people who attend club are not aware that this option is available to them or like SLB not wish to avail themselves of this opportunity, so they flourish.

A trainer should not ban things if they do not affect other dogs (I ban squeaky toys in class because it is a recipe for disaster particularly with terriers).

I have met a few Dobes and their necks are no different to say Weims!

Does that help?

I am afraid there are lot of ineffective trainers out there!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If you look at the guidelines it is clear that any trainer who uses methods contrary to the KC guidelines on welfare etc should be reported to them and that club may well be de registered etc etc.
I think it would be good if this option was outlined to people joining a class and the conact details/procedure outlined as a mandatory part if the course. Good trainers wont have much to worry about and bad ones will either improve or stop ripping people off

The problem is that many people who attend club are not aware that this option is available to them or like SLB not wish to avail themselves of this opportunity, so they flourish.

A trainer should not ban things if they do not affect other dogs (I ban squeaky toys in class because it is a recipe for disaster particularly with terriers).
What I thought was a bit of a joke is that its ok for a small dog to have a soft toy to play tug with but a big 'dominant' dog cant have a tug toy as that would mean a fight lol soft toy being tugged = tug toy to me, the dogs dont make up the names they only know what 'its for'
Not only that but the lack of guidance. Imagine, someone who has never owned a dog. Dosnt know where to start so goes to a class, thinking they are doing the right thing. Then they are told even if your dog is not motivated by food, he cannot have a tug toy, he cannot have a ball and he cannot have a squeaky toy. Owner leaves under the impression that their dog 'should just do it' since they havent been given any other options...therefore only option to them is aversives, after all the choke chain is allowed, which without balance of rewards isnt really a recipe for success.

I have met a few Dobes and their necks are no different to say Weims!
Exactly, how many of them are you likely to see walking, outside of class/exam, with a collar tight around the very top of the neck so that the dog cant put his head down without breathing being restricted, feeling uncomfortable etc - not many! That was my point about how it may be ok in a test but dosnt necessarily mean its carried through into 'real life'

Does that help?

I am afraid there are lot of ineffective trainers out there!
The problem with KCGCDS (is that the right way round? lol) is that it is left wide open to them! Lots of the trainers that use the tests are good, but lots are simply ripping people off and the KC seems to have very limited resources to monitoring the trainers abilities that are taking classes for this.
I'm not saying I totally disagree with these courses, classes and exams in principle, but a bit idealistic in reality...and I can see why many think of it as worthless or are left with that impression.

I was hoping you may share views but looks like I've just been pointed in the way of guidelines I understand that your in a position though...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Trainers should inform candidates of the existence of the guidelines, where to buy them from and the cost.

They should also let candidates have access to them if they wish during class, as each club have been issued them.

I share your views about ineffective trainers though and I have reported two individual trainers and their clubs to the KC, as I did with an APDT trainer. The former were visited by the KC and one of the trainers was removed from the club, the latter was "struck off" the APDT register (there was other evidence to support my views).

It is not enough merely to vote with your feet, you should ALWAYS raise any issues (as you would in any sphere) with the appropriate body. No one will do anything unless it is brought to their attention!

Until the term "dog trainer" is protected by having to produce proof of legal competency, then the situation will not change I am afraid.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:24 PM
The line on the sand for me is drawn at prongs, I see np with using a choker but the dog will still pull if proper instruction isn't given. I know how to use them & have used to them before with nice results & without further dependence on the choke forever. I switched Izze to a reg choke & then to a rolled leather (to prevent rubbing) & eventually to nothing at all.

Bit in all fairness I have seen them used the incorrect way as well bit it also begs the question as how far will we go with the banning of tools? Will reg collars become cruel? How about half checks?
Page 10 of 20 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »