Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Calling vegetarians - please give me some ideas

I am doing the food for our engagement party buffet on Friday night. There are a couple of vegetarians going. 1 does eat fish! The other is veggie but not vegan. And then there are a couple who I am really not sure about

Idon't want to spend a lot of money on ingredients and don't have a huge amount of time. I am off work on Friday though.

I don't just want to offer Cheese sandwiches!! Can people give me ideas please.

I hope to have sandwiches, bowls of salad and bowls of pasta with a dressing, crisps and maybe some snacky stuff like mini quiches or similar.

Any ideas veggie and also non veggie welcome if they are easy and inexpensive.

Thanks a lot
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:08 AM
how about pasta with grated carrot and cucumber mixed in olive oil and baslamic vinegar?
onion bargies, roasted vegtables yummy cold!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:12 AM
QUORN!!! You can get ready made sausage rolls, spring rolls, scotch eggs.

They also do a sliced 'meat' range that you could put into sandwiches.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks Angied - The idea for the pasta is nice thanks as I was just thinking pasta with a tomato type sauce so its good to get other ideas will try that and I have balsamic vinegar

Had thought raw crudite (sp) veg and dips? But didn't think roasted veg cold...would that be ok? Cold?

What could I put with humous(sp) on sandwiches?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
QUORN!!! You can get ready made sausage rolls, spring rolls, scotch eggs.

They also do a sliced 'meat' range that you could put into sandwiches.
Really? I thought it was a mince type stuff

would vegetarians like that on sandwiches as I assume it looks like sliced meat? But then I guess if its not then thats ok? That would be good! I could just do a quorn version of what I am doing for non veggies!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Lots of cheese! I should be 20 stone the amount of cheese in this house.....

Popeye rolls!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm a veggie but not a vegan and those vegetarian sausage rolls and quorn meat slices are very nice, you can make sandwiches using them, just make sure they are clearly labelled because the ham really does look like ham

You can get scotch eggs, so many things, but they are as much as double the price of the non vegetarian option. For our wedding last year we also did veggi samosa's, veggi pizza, vegi cocktail sausages, cheese and onion rolls, (like sausage rolls but with cheese and onion instead of meat)..phew, the list is endless.

We also did the old fashioned cheese & pineapple and that went down a treat

Good luck xx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Really? I thought it was a mince type stuff

would vegetarians like that on sandwiches as I assume it looks like sliced meat? But then I guess if its not then thats ok? That would be good! I could just do a quorn version of what I am doing for non veggies!
I think there's lots of "fake meat" buffet stuff available, "sausage" rolls, sliced "meats", etc.

Is it all cold foods you're doing? When my mum has a big party/gathering, one thing she often does is a curry & chilli, she borrows my slow cooker and does one in each, then does a big lot of rice in her rice cooker. Then everyone just goes and gets however much of each they want. You could maybe do a veggie option (e.g. lentil bolognes) and meaty option, similar to this?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far everyone

Krlyr - Thanks for the ideas but if possible cold buffet as much as I would love to do a pot of Chilli and a pot of stovies there are no cooking facilities so would be a nightmare to keep stuff warm We could have got kitchen facilities but they cost too much and we have to save for the wedding now
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I think falafels can be eaten cold, the mix is quick n easy to do and makes quite a lot of small ones.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >