register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 84 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Firstly this thread is not new though I doubt CM will have changed 'his act' since it was posted. I say his act because I see him first and foremost as a performer and entertainer rather than a serious dog trainer.
He is hardly likely to change his 'performance' for which he no doubt receives large amounts of cash so I can't see how he can improve very much really unless he concentrates more on understanding the dogs and less on performing. IMO he lacks the ability to asses canine behaviour and to act correctly on the things he sees. (This has been discussed at length in a previous thread where videos of his methods of choking/kicking /rolling and holding a dog up by its throat so its legs are left to dangle have been posted) .
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...ht=cesar+milan

None of the recognised training organisations like the APDT sanction his methods .
I suppose it really comes down to how you 'see' dogs and what you think it is permissible way to treat them.

Personally I like to treat dogs with gentleness and I try to see the world as they do and to understand the reasons for their behaviour . They don't ask to be owned we choose to have them and as with owning any animal I think they deserve to have the best life we can give them and to me that does not include inflicting fear or pain on them .

I am able to train dogs (and this has included rescue dogs ) without resorting to causing them physical pain and discomfort. If others choose to do differently I guess that is up to them.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Peoples argument for him there says he just uses the collars the owners have - sorry, he is the supposed expert, if he didnt want to use prongs he wouldnt!
Totally agree. At my club I don`t allow chokers, [ or prongs or other `corrective` things which cause pain or distress ], only one handler so far has turned up with their dog in a choker, it was removed there and then and replaced by a spare flat collar of mine which I lent them so they could stop off at a pet shop on their way home to buy their own flat collar. I do the same where a harness would be helpful, [ if a dog still needs to be on lead when they start training, for instance, a harness is far better so a dog does`nt get a yanked throat and neck while jumping, while heading toward various elements, and while learning various turns/manoeuvres/side changes, as a beginner dog and handler can easily go in different directions to what`s ideal at first ].

Part of being an instructor/behaviourist/whatever is educating people about what not to use and why to not use it, that means the `teacher` showing them how to work with safe non-pain and non-fear inducing kit, not just using what`s already on the dog because the owner does`nt yet know how harmful their own kit may be.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Personally I like to treat dogs with gentleness and I try to see the world as they do and to understand the reasons for their behaviour . They don't ask to be owned we choose to have them and as with owning any animal I think they deserve to have the best life we can give them and to me that does not include inflicting fear or pain on them .
Good post there Mini and I agree with every word

Wys
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 07:27 AM
He doesn't see small dogs from a small dog world. When you are tiny things can seem a lot more daunting than for a larger dog.
Personally I'd like to 'train' him using the same methods he uses and see how he copes.
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 07:28 AM
This is a very informative discussion re CM methods, and the author putting forward suggestions as to how the Nat. Geographic channel could improve what they show regarding dogs:

http://doglinks.co.nz/training/Cesar_Millan/index.htm

Wys
x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Didn't read it all but what I did read was very informative. Will keep that link as will read all at later date. Thanks.
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Didn't read it all but what I did read was very informative. Will keep that link as will read all at later date. Thanks.
Becky
It's a good one isn't it

Wys
x
viktory
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I like CM. Having taken some of his points on board, I am already finding that his advice works.
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by viktory View Post
I like CM. Having taken some of his points on board, I am already finding that his advice works.
Totally Agree
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by viktory View Post
....in the wrong way.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 84 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »