register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Is CM improving as a TV trainer & offering more apt advice
Yes 45 52.33%
No 41 47.67%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 84 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 > Last »
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi,

I sed to watch CM ALL the time. Now I watch it when I have nothing better to do.

The reason Zane was bumped up from the puppy class in the advanced class (after a lot fo hard work of course) was because our trainer who takes the intermediate class decided to follow CM without question.

Seeing him drag a barking dog out of the training room or off the field, alpha rolling him and then stringing the dog up with both front legs off the ground IMHO is going to get him and most likely the owner bitten.

Because of this, there is a guy at training who's tried to use CM's methods and his dog is now incredibly ill behaved; whereas when he was in the puppy class he made fantastic progress.

To a certain extent I think it's up to the individual. You ahve to find what works both for you and your dog - although I don't condone much of what CM says or teaches. Some of his principles make sense, but I've learned more about what NOT to do with my dogs than what to do with thm.

I agree with a previous poster - I'd prefer to watch Dog Borstal too. I'm not saying that everythign they do is correct. But it seems to be a far more realistic scenario.

I've always used discipline rather than punishment with correction where needed with my dogs. With my last bitch it took over 4 years from when I had her from Birmingham DH to allow men (even family members) into the house. So yes it can be done without harsh methods. Although believe me - you need the patience of a saint to wait 4 years to see results (it was worth it though).

Laura xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 08:25 AM
How can you say he's improved when a recent advert for his programme shows him throwing a dachshund on the floor!
Becky

I think what people have to remember is that it is a TV SHOW, and like all reality TV it is heavily edited. For entertainment purposes, the people who make reality TV want to bring out the worst in people and that includes dogs, too. They are edited in way to make us think that these dogs are vicious and/or uncontrollable beasts that behave in the way that they do all the time and consequently they are 'untrainable'. Then steps up macho man Cesar to save the day who 'solves' the problem in less than 15 minutes. This is not real life. Anyone who thinks behavioural problems such as aggression can be solved in 15 minutes are kidding themselves. That is why these programs are dangerous; they give people unrealistic expectations on how long it takes to solve these problems by using quick-fix, aversive "training".

I saw an episode of Victoria Stillwell (It's me or the Dog -- USA version, Sky One, at 4:30pm) last night and really rated it. The only thing I don't like about her is that sometimes refers to dominance and whatnot, but apart from that, IMO her methods are excellent. No stupid training collars, no prodding at the dogs necks, no kicking the dogs side, no forcing the dog to submit...just good, common sense and reward based training. The whole one-hour program is also only focused on one dog as apposed to three or more in Cesar's.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Am I seeing things this guy seems to be using prong collars loads.I reckon thats what I see,anyone else seeing what I see xxxxxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Yes he uses prong collars, and his own 'illusion collar'

Peoples argument for him there says he just uses the collars the owners have - sorry, he is the supposed expert, if he didnt want to use prongs he wouldnt!

I find victoria stillwell much more sensible, and TBH supernanny is more useful in dog training than lots of the mince on tv

How I see it is
If you are a dog trainer/ behaviourist/ whatever, then the dogs come before the TV show, if your work is being badly editied to make untrue claims about speed of training, shows dangerous training methods or you have to stress the dogs out lots to make them show the bad behaviour needed for good TV, then if you see all these things happening and you still keep going back to make more shows then the ego is the most important thing - not the dogs wellfare
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
How can you say he's improved when a recent advert for his programme shows him throwing a dachshund on the floor!
Becky

I've not seen it thank goodness. Frankly I'm sick and tired of idiotic trainers and sometimes, equally idiotic owners who haven't half a brain between them trying to sort out the only thing that does have the brains (ie, the poor dog!)

Wys
x
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I think with CM, you either love him or you hate him. I've seen discussions on CM on many forums and those who love him, continue the love and those that can't stand him, tend not to change their views, despite lots of discussion
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 01:38 PM
those who love him, continue the love
Why anyone would chose to 'love' him based on everything that has been said about his 'methods' is just astonishing.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
If anything though, he seriously needs to consider sueing that dentist of his!!!
That is too funny! lol!

I think he's ok. I've seen a couple of episodes where his technique doesn't work so he tries something different - so he's not soo rigid to change. Some things I find questionable. I am reading his book Caesars Way just out of interest. Will comment on that when I'm finished. He isn't that far off from the Graeme Sims - The Dog Whisperer. (although I prefer Graeme Sims general demeaner but is very Collie orientated and sometimes not applicable to a Chihuahua!).

I like Dog Borstal - but why put owners in a tent who hate camping?. IMO making the owner grumpy/tired/irriatable when they need a good clear head to learn what they're being taught is a tad stupid.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Why anyone would chose to 'love' him based on everything that has been said about his 'methods' is just astonishing.

Depends who you are listening to, doesn't it I like his methods, so do many others. I find it astonishing that some people see him as some cruel nasty trainer. We all differ in opinion - suppose that's what makes life interesting
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
That is too funny! lol!

I think he's ok. I've seen a couple of episodes where his technique doesn't work so he tries something different - so he's not soo rigid to change. Some things I find questionable. I am reading his book Caesars Way just out of interest. Will comment on that when I'm finished. He isn't that far off from the Graeme Sims - The Dog Whisperer. (although I prefer Graeme Sims general demeaner but is very Collie orientated and sometimes not applicable to a Chihuahua!).

I like Dog Borstal - but why put owners in a tent who hate camping?. IMO making the owner grumpy/tired/irriatable when they need a good clear head to learn what they're being taught is a tad stupid
I've often wondered the same thing! It seems ridiculous to make the owners miserable, when the programme is actually about dog training. Suppose they think it makes good tv, to watch people suffering in a tent, in bad weather and so on.......................
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 84 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 58 > Last »