Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
poles are and should made of plastic and with a little 'give' .....even if they knock slightly there should be no issue...my dogs do far worse out on walks..eta i have a big dog too....

... anyway can always go for channel to get the same finishing result
All the weaves - including comp ones - I have used (except my house weaves) are made of wood
I have been working on retraining my twos weaves with the Susan Garret 2*2 weaving - it makes so much sense. I am not the biggest fan of channel weaves because the dog is learning to run past weaves if you dont close the channel fast enough.
TBH I think every method works for most dogs if you work at it - same with contacts, it dosent matter which method you use just so long as you are consistent training it and dont let standards slip when you are excited
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
All the weaves - including comp ones - I have used (except my house weaves) are made of wood
I have been working on retraining my twos weaves with the Susan Garret 2*2 weaving - it makes so much sense. I am not the biggest fan of channel weaves because the dog is learning to run past weaves if you dont close the channel fast enough.
TBH I think every method works for most dogs if you work at it - same with contacts, it dosent matter which method you use just so long as you are consistent training it and dont let standards slip when you are excited
all training weaves i have used in the last 14 years have been plastic..and i would only use plastic untill they are up to competition standard..but again thats just the way i like to train....

eta... none of my dogs have 'run past' on channel weaves,youve confuzzed me about that one lol
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:01 AM
errrr who's doing this agility? you or Zena

I don't know mate your going to do yourself a mischief

Well done Zena though although I would love to have seen your face

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
all training weaves i have used in the last 14 years have been plastic..and i would only use plastic untill they are up to competition standard..but again thats just the way i like to train....

eta... none of my dogs have 'run past' on channel weaves,youve confuzzed me about that one lol
Ah right - I didnt realise you just ment training weaves - I thought you ment comp too

What I mean by running past is the very nature of channel weaves is when you start out you are actively teaching your dog to run past weaves - not to weave. If you dont have your own set to practise on and only do it once a week at a class then it will be many months when the dogs is running between weaves, i have seen channel trained dogs at shows just run down alongside the weaves
As I said - if done correctly closing the channel fast enough it works really well - but TBH I found luring on a 5 pole weave just as fast
I am just planning retraining because we havent been doing that much with Mia yet and Ben is enjoying it - basically for him it is just extra training on finding enterances from all sorts of crazy angles (at a show the other week the dogs had to take a jump facing a weave but run out and enter the weave from the opposite end - not many dogs got that
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Ah right - I didnt realise you just ment training weaves - I thought you ment comp too

What I mean by running past is the very nature of channel weaves is when you start out you are actively teaching your dog to run past weaves - not to weave. If you dont have your own set to practise on and only do it once a week at a class then it will be many months when the dogs is running between weaves, i have seen channel trained dogs at shows just run down alongside the weaves
As I said - if done correctly closing the channel fast enough it works really well - but TBH I found luring on a 5 pole weave just as fast
I am just planning retraining because we havent been doing that much with Mia yet and Ben is enjoying it - basically for him it is just extra training on finding enterances from all sorts of crazy angles (at a show the other week the dogs had to take a jump facing a weave but run out and enter the weave from the opposite end - not many dogs got that
no u are not

and to be fair i must be doing something right... my Blues entry to the weaves was legendary lol... and all my dogs love the weaves where as alot of dogs can give or take them.

oh and im not one to 'big up myself' but my Blue would of got that entry too
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:50 AM
I Trained Jazz with Channel weaving - it was fantastic, I could recall him through - do retrieves through and everything - he was the one dog I had who was truly solid 100% on weaves.
My only concern about teaching channel weaving in a class is the length of time between lessons. I managed to teach Jazz in a couple of weeks as we practiced morning and night in the garden, but I have found in a class once a week it takes longer as you have to keep going back.

I have not used the Susan garret method, but a friend has, the dog has fantastic weaves, but often misses the first pole.

Contacts.....tbh.....even if you are consistent and you run the contacts, it is going to be hit and miss that your dog gets it right. I know many people who use food still.....but you can't in competition and the dog will get to know the difference. IMO the only way to be sure your dog understands, is to teach it when it is in the right place...and thats with at least one paw on the ground or at least one on the contact (that way they can feel the different texture and know they are in the right position).
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:54 AM
... oh yes the contacts

i too use two feet on two feet off
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:55 AM

How have you been training the channel...the weaves should be space alternately so the dog has the poles both sides...they are running between....not past

The fantastic thing about the channel is that you can practice from every angle, recalling, sending and the dog is always getting it right, you get speed and accuracy.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:37 AM
I channelled Rune but with George I used wires but they weren't wires they were the green bendy squared sections you can use in gardens. That worked very fast and very well for a lot of dogs.

George learnt in a week.

rune
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:43 AM
I found this on U-tube, it's great, and I wish I'd started off this way, instead of going in with the whole lot in one long line, it seems more sensible to me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPPcv3wWhic

With all this v and channel weaves, my head is spinning, can somebody please tell me if I am using the "channel" method from the picture I posted up, coz they're the ones I am training on, all in a long line like that, so is that called "channelling" please??
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »