View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Well Barbara....what are you and the hotty man Shane like ....tut tut.

Just thought I would tell you been to the pound shop today and they have loads of stuff....veg,salad etc., if they are there next week I'll pick you some up....patio stuff too
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Well Barbara....what are you and the hotty man Shane like ....tut tut.

Just thought I would tell you been to the pound shop today and they have loads of stuff....veg,salad etc., if they are there next week I'll pick you some up....patio stuff too
ooooooo nice one!!!! thanks sis xxxxxxx Wish I had her figure
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
As Margo would say

oh Barbara, no need to thank me its what friends do, but could you just wipe that dirt off your face and perhaps get Tom to treat you to a new apron

I'll pick some up if they haven;t all gone bring them up with me when we come
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
As Margo would say

oh Barbara, no need to thank me its what friends do, but could you just wipe that dirt off your face and perhaps get Tom to treat you to a new apron

I'll pick some up if they haven;t all gone bring them up with me when we come

xxxx

You'll have me sitting on newspapers next !!! lol
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Good luck with it, its sounds fun. I grew potatoes once in tubs they did quite well.

Easter is the time to start sowing potatoes, your earlies, they will be your new potatoes. Make sure they are chitted (little shoots on) you can buy them from most garden centres and Wilko's do them too. My dad was a gardner had a huge allotment he was down his allotment every Good Friday every year planting his potatoes. Its to do with the moon.

What about runner beans they don't take up much room and can be grown in pots with canes done as a wig wam for them too climb up.

I am having a go again this year and we have cleared away an old shed and I have about the same amount of room as you but it will be on soil this time which I am looking forward too.

If you don't have the space for a green house you can start seeds off indoors on the tops of kitchen cupboards or a spare room if you have one.

I haven't a green house and I have grown tomatoes outdoors, they do quite well if you have a good summer. You can also get outdoor cucumbers they are smaller and ridged they won't be like the cucumbers you buy from the supermarket but are just as good nicer in fact.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Good luck with it, its sounds fun. I grew potatoes once in tubs they did quite well.

Easter is the time to start sowing potatoes, your earlies, they will be your new potatoes. Make sure they are chitted (little shoots on) you can buy them from most garden centres and Wilko's do them too. My dad was a gardner had a huge allotment he was down his allotment every Good Friday every year planting his potatoes. Its to do with the moon.

What about runner beans they don't take up much room and can be grown in pots with canes done as a wig wam for them too climb up.

I am having a go again this year and we have cleared away an old shed and I have about the same amount of room as you but it will be on soil this time which I am looking forward too.

If you don't have the space for a green house you can start seeds off indoors on the tops of kitchen cupboards or a spare room if you have one.

I haven't a green house and I have grown tomatoes outdoors, they do quite well if you have a good summer. You can also get outdoor cucumbers they are smaller and ridged they won't be like the cucumbers you buy from the supermarket but are just as good nicer in fact.
Thanks for all that lovely iformation Lynn. I have been studying Ahem I know about earlies and such now, didn't realise there was so much to know about the humble spud chitting yes I read about that, but the site I was on made it look really hard chitting them yourself is too much like science for me so I will be nipping to wilko's for me spuds. How many do you put in one pot. Wilkos do potoato sack, they will look really good on the patio they are made of hessian and you just fill 'em with soild and plant but not sure how many to put in.

So it's all down to the moon then??? Don't tell me I have to wear a long white flowing nightdress and put daisies in my hair and dance around the hessian bag before I offer my spuds up to the Goddess Luna

I would plant runner beans but no one likes them and as Isochick said what's the point of planting things your not going to eat. I do like green beans and garden peas though. How would they do? I am deffo going to have a go with the toms. I found a lovely variety cherry toms that you grow in a hanging basket. Let's hope we get a good summer again this year

xxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Thanks for all that lovely iformation Lynn. I have been studying Ahem I know about earlies and such now, didn't realise there was so much to know about the humble spud chitting yes I read about that, but the site I was on made it look really hard chitting them yourself is too much like science for me so I will be nipping to wilko's for me spuds. How many do you put in one pot. Wilkos do potoato sack, they will look really good on the patio they are made of hessian and you just fill 'em with soild and plant but not sure how many to put in.

So it's all down to the moon then??? Don't tell me I have to wear a long white flowing nightdress and put daisies in my hair and dance around the hessian bag before I offer my spuds up to the Goddess Luna

I would plant runner beans but no one likes them and as Isochick said what's the point of planting things your not going to eat. I do like green beans and garden peas though. How would they do? I am deffo going to have a go with the toms. I found a lovely variety cherry toms that you grow in a hanging basket. Let's hope we get a good summer again this year

xxxx

Haha definitely have to wear the long flowing robe and post up piccies.

Chitting isn't difficult I bet you have had spuds that have had little shoots on if so they have chitted.

Beware with the peas mice love them my dad use to soak them in paraffin not sure if you can get it now. I used peppermint essence on the ground when I realized I had some friendly mice eating my peas last year it did help.

Agree with Isochick no point in growing things you don't eat. Depends on how big these hessian bags are on how many potatoes you put in they grow on long runners and like too go deep I personally would put no more than 6 in one bag if it is a good size if fed well they should grow a fair few potatoes on the runners.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Haha definitely have to wear the long flowing robe and post up piccies.

Chitting isn't difficult I bet you have had spuds that have had little shoots on if so they have chitted.

Beware with the peas mice love them my dad use to soak them in paraffin not sure if you can get it now. I used peppermint essence on the ground when I realized I had some friendly mice eating my peas last year it did help.

Agree with Isochick no point in growing things you don't eat. Depends on how big these hessian bags are on how many potatoes you put in they grow on long runners and like too go deep I personally would put no more than 6 in one bag if it is a good size if fed well they should grow a fair few potatoes on the runners.
Thanks Lynne...not sure about the pic wouldn't want to frighten everyone these hessian bags are about 20" round and about 30" deep.
Oh dear don't want mice do I? You know I live by lots and lots of fields, yet I have never ever seen a mouse here not even a little field mouse (I think they are so cute) Will think about the peas then. I think you can still get parrafin though.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Update

Been a busy bee all day today!! moved the small garden shed to the back patio and put the table that was in the back patio in the middle patio.

Cleaned both areas it's amazing what accumulates over the winter Three trips to the dump

Been to Wilkos and bought a lovely 4 tier patio greenhouse, some veg compost, potting trays, and those hessian potato bags. They also do the hessian bags for veg too, same really but just a bit shallower.

Been online and ordered these

blueberry

duel apple

Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-02-2010, 07:09 PM
You have been busy.

I like that dual apple tree. May have too look for one of those myself.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >