register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

03-06-2004, 11:07 PM
Oliver kills the bushes, there was one that was in his way when he wanted to climb up the fence and watch people going by so he has pulled half of it down.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Azz, I'm with you on all points.

What I meant was for pleasure. If there is a rodent problem that is harming the environment, than I'm not referring to that, although I want no part in that kind of thing myself. I do understand though. Some people (on many boards and many times I've seen this over the last two years that I've been reading them) encourage their dogs to chase and catch animals. I just think it's barbaric and no matter how many times I read it, I'm still shocked.

Can't dogs get sick from the sick bunnies? I read this here; it says rabbits carry sickness. Read the responses.

http://members.boardhost.com/Molosse...msg/76894.html
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

04-06-2004, 09:15 AM
I think there are fine lines to be drawn between encouraging dogs to kill for pleasure: ie hare coursing...or ratting/rabbiting, which starts as a necessity but becomes "enjoyable" to watch a terrier, for example, doing what it was bred for.

My old dallies would catch rabbits. It was always a quick, clean, kill and the rabbits suffered far less then myxi or being shot for example.

I frequently have the farrier here with his terriers to de-rat the field shelter and stables because they get everywhere and I won't put poison down when I have kids and horses and my own dogs around. The terriers despatch the rats in a split second and again, far better than the rat crawling off and dying somewhere.

I know James enjoys seeing his terriers working and I don't think that makes him a bad person to be honest... needs must
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

04-06-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree with your there Chloe
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2004, 11:04 AM
I know a couple of terrier men too who do the same as your friend Chloe and I don't think it makes them bad in fact they have more respect for animals that the average person.

Karen
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 07:26 AM
I agree with the rat extermination. I wasn't referring to practical things that are necessary. I was referring to sadistic encouragement which serves no purpose.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Have to say my hounds need no encouragement to put up and then chase Rabbits, Rats and so on. Would not have thought any Hound or Terrier would need to be encouraged and I recon it would be very difficult to stop them when they are on free exercise. Mine do kill rats, mice and such but not rabbits or ducks but they do corner them and then leave it to me to deal with the situation. That means picking it up and putting it over the fence, think they are pretty disgusted at my not shooting them but I no longer have a gun and the freezer is full anyway.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

06-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Like what Barbara? Give us some examples? Thanks
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Okay, you're in the park, you see a flock of birds or a squirell gathering food for their family, or material for their nest. You have your dog sit, and then after a few seconds, encourage the dog to get them.

You are in your yard, or wherever, and you see squirells or birds, then you encourage your dogs to get them while they're gathering food for their families.

I just find that extremely barbaric. Okay if it's a rat or other pest that's doing damage to your area. But innocent animals that harm nobody? I don't like it.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

06-06-2004, 09:03 PM
We have our resident wild birds in the garden. Wood Pigeons, Drooper and Betty Boop, are libbys favourites, she 'lopes' in their general direction, knowing full well they'll fly off before she get's near them.
The 'Collared Doves', Azz,Dizz and Kazz, are a bit smarter, and the 'Dogwebbers inc' sparrows etc, are quite smart to libbys' antics.

Same with Cyril the Squirrel, Jennie the Wren and Rob Robin.

I would never encourage her to hurt anything.

libs
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >