Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2006, 04:18 PM

Getting dog used to muzzle

Our instructor at class has recommended I muzzle Rupert for class. Partly for my peace of mind and partly for the other owners. So, he already had a muzzle that he hated. It was one of the fabric ones and no matter what I did he hated it. I went out today and bought one of the Baskerville ones. He's not as bad with that but he still doesn't like it at all. How can I get him used to wearing it?
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I am not an expert but why dont you put it on at home for short periods of time to start with and make it longer each time. Make sure you reassure your dog that its ok... It wont be an overnight thing though unfortunately...
sammymax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2006, 02:05 AM
I muzzle trained my last staffie (he was dog/dog aggressive). We started with leaving around the house, often in his toy box (it was metal and not attractive to chewing). We would hold it near his nose (not on) and treat him heaps and make a huge fuss and played fetch with it. Basically we made it as fun as possible before we started actually securing it to him. Lots of treats, praise and excitement worked wonders. And yes, it was a slow process but well worth it. We reached the stage where he was more than happy to wear it.

Good luck to you and Rupert.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Thanks. I started off teaching him to put his nose in it with a clicker, then letting me fasten it, wearing it for a minute etc. I've been putting it on before every walk then taking it off when we've walked up the street and he is beginning to associate it with going out. He wore it at class Wednesday night and didn't really bother about it so it seems we're doing okay so far.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Sounds like he's becoming used to it already if he won't put his nose in you can hold the muzle infront of him with treats in it My dog Bailey used to wear a muzzle for walks and I found the best thing was to get his mind off it as soon as possible. If I put it on and left him he would spend his time rubbing it on the ground. But if we set off for the walk straight away or gave him lots of praise he would forget all about it
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by BrandieSnap View Post
If I put it on and left him he would spend his time rubbing it on the ground. But if we set off for the walk straight away or gave him lots of praise he would forget all about it
Yep, same with Rupert. If there's nothing going on and we're standing still he'll attempt to get it off but if we're moving he's fine.