Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-05-2004, 11:31 AM

Bad Breath

Hi All

This subject,has probably been covered a few times, But now its my time for advise.

My 20 week old BB puppy, is on a top of the line puppy dry food, and has a meaty (lamb) bone every day.
My problem is, he does not have puppy breath, he has foul breath, you can smell it from a few feet away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Take Care

Ashley...
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi, Ash! We are about to start Snorri-dog on THIS - fourth item down the list.

I ordered some the other day and am still awaiting its arrival (post free, BTW!). As the ingredients are similar to those of Bonio Breathfresh, but in higher quantities, I expect it to work OK.

Bonio Breathfresh help, but they are not 100% effective, at least, not in Snorri-dog's case

It's principally a site for human diet supplements, but this page is for cats and dogs. I found out about it whilst looking for Glucosamine!

HTH

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Hmmm, I see you're in Australia, though. Might still be worth a try, or contact them and see if there's a similar company your way????

Snorri
ops:
Bon
Almost a Veteran

30-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Ash....Activated Charcoal is excellent for bad breath. It may be obtained from a Durg Store and sprinked on your dogs food or used to make special breath treats. Check out the link for more info:http://www.joyfullivingservices.com/...dcharcoal.html

Charcoal is also good for gas ops:
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

30-05-2004, 03:22 PM
Is the puppy drinking any 'stale' water from outside? Rocky used to come back smelling liek a sewer! Until I discovered he was drinking water from a bucket that was collecting rain water! Ive since turned it upside down and hes now fine
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Dogs will get bad breath occasionally if they have been scavenging and picked up something foul. However it is very unusual for a pup of that age to have continuous bad breath. I would consult a vet. It could be some sort of infection in the mouth/stomach. There is no point trying to mask the smell if there is an underlying cause that needs to be treated.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

30-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Good idea. :smt023
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Could be the lamb bones...
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Yep Barbara, just my suggestions.

The one and only time Luna got a raw meaty bone (she got a diorrhea lasting for a month so no more bones) she got an awful breath.

I buy rawhide chewingbones for Luna, and there is no problem now. SHe has fine white teeth and no bad breath.

Jeanette
Ash
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Well I have taken Kumo to the Vet, and I feel SO Horrible and guilty.

While I was talking to the vet and explaining that Kumo had real bad breath
the vet just looked at me and said, I think I know what the problem is.
While I was talking to the vet Kumo did this real big yawn.
Kumo has got a split in his tounge, it is about 1 inch long, and because the muscles on each side are pulling, it is seperating it, making it look like a fork tounge.
I felt so bad, for not picking it up sooner.
I assured the vet that I had looked in his mouth after noticing his breath, but found nothing.
The vet tried to open kumo's mouth so I could have a look.
But Kumo was going to have no part of it.
The vet tried to make me feel better explaining that when you try and open his mouth, you cannot realy see the split.
But I still feel very irrisponsible and guilty.
The vet has said the tounge will heal very quickly, or if I want, I can have it stiched.
I have chosen to let it heal on its own. Not because of the cost, but do not want to put Kumo through any thing that is not really needed.
He is on antibiotics for any Infection.

Thanks to all for your help and advise.

Take Care

Ashley
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >