Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lisa_jt79
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Help with lowering ph in urine!!

Hi,
I'm new to this but thought I would give it a go!!
My sbt has been diagnosed with urinary incontinence and has a ph level of 9 in her urine which is causing struvite crystals, the vet has advised I need to get Daisy to drink more if I can but has also suggested that I can try anything that will help bring down the ph level in her urine, only problem is that I'm not sure what I can give her that's natural and dogs can have, does anyone have any experience with this or can offer any advice?!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-05-2014, 06:28 PM
What do you feed her?
Lisa_jt79
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2014, 06:42 PM
She's on Burns complete, only food I've tried her on that doesn't upset her stomach
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2014, 07:26 AM
When I had this problem with Rio the vet would usually prescribe a special diet but as she was raw fed that was never an option so he gave me Methidione (not sure about the spelling)tablets which worked well and quickly tbh I think they are vitamin b based as the smell is very yeasty, Once the crystals cleared I supplemented her diet with cranberry extract tablets and vitamin b complex. Ask your vet about them as they worked well. I think they're available online but I'd still check with the vet first. As for getting her to drink more adding bovril or marmite to their water will usually make them drink more or make her current dried food moist by soaking it.

Edited to add the tablets were Methion/ Methotex cos I just found the empty bottle in the dogs cupboard.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Methionine is an amino acid. Amino acids are the building blocks that our bodies use to make proteins. Methionine is found in meat, fish, and dairy products, and it plays an important role in many cell functions.

Methionine is used to prevent liver damage in acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning. It is also used for increasing the acidity of urine, treating liver disorders, and improving wound healing. Other uses include treating depression, alcoholism, allergies, asthma, copper poisoning, radiation side effects, schizophrenia, drug withdrawal, and Parkinson's disease.

How does it work?
In acetaminophen poisoning, methionine prevents the breakdown products of acetaminophen from damaging the liver.
Lisa_jt79
New Member!
Female 

11-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Thank you, I'll speak to the vet when I pick up her Propalin tomorrow and see what they say, really want to reduce the crystals and try and stop them forming bladder stones. I've got some bovril and marmite and will just add a little to her water and mix some up to soak her food with it. I can't add too much though as she has a sensitive stomach.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-05-2014, 10:43 PM
My oldie didn't drink enough, and now has a drink of plain yoghurt and water every morning, which she loves. In the summer I also give her tomato juice diluted with water to keep her hydrated.