Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Good idea. I'll plead poverty next time
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2004, 06:58 PM
I have a theory about the relationship between vet bills and the popularity of pet insurance. Joe has born this out. Vets charge inflated fees because the insured customer refers the bill to the faceless insurance company.

I have 7 dogs, no way could I justify the monthly insurance bill for that lot. So were on a wing and a prayer most of the time. I have to accept that there is a financial limit to which I can stretch if tragedy occurs.A bill running into thousands is simply out of the question.

I worked in an Intensive Care Unit for 23 years, and saw first hand, the lengths the medical profession can go to to keep a human being alive, sometimes to no avail. I lost count of the number of times I said,'the vets have the right idea'. We can choose to ensure that our animals do not suffer unneccesarily. So that's what I have to do. I no longer believe in life at any price, I believe in quality of life.So I believe that pet insurance sometimes encourages us to put our animals through more than they should have to bear. Of course I'm taking major problems here, but you get my drift?
Joe
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2004, 07:01 PM
I know what you mean Dawn but I only have little Norm and his life is at any price I'm afraid. Wouldn't let furface suffer though. When he has to go, he has to go. Not yet though
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Think if you loose faith or do not trust your vet then you should change. You are employing the vet, you are paying them for a service and if you they will not listen to you as an owner they are not worth their wages.

All vets should take note of what the owner says and as you would have more idea than most they should take special note, get rid
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2004, 07:10 PM
after leaving a vet who thought he was god!!! and prone to tantrums i found a lovley one who will listen and work with me on my breed, he knows breeders sometimes know more about certain aspects and will keep an open mind-to the extent if anyone else turns up with a shar-pei in trouble he often gives them my number as the breed club is up to date with a lot of the breeds health issues and if i cant help i can at least point them in the right direction
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2004, 07:17 PM
When I got my last renewal through for insurance I decided that they were joking, yet again the premium had gone up and the cover down, so I decided I would put the amount I would pay the insurance into a savings account and so far it has built up nicely. I have been paying allthe vets bills including boosters and so forth that the insurance would not pay anyway and including the £50 excess I would have paid anyway. And to date after about 11 months I am £600 to the good and just hope I have no need for a large amount till its built up a bit more.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Dizzy, please PM me with your vets name. I really feel like changing. Since the new people took over from Colin Bewsher (Morpeth), I'm really dissatisfied.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

22-04-2004, 07:33 PM
I think it may be an idea to report any vets who u think are playing the system to your insurers, provide them with proof if you have it (like Carole had).

Also perhaps drop a hint, say sommin like "I'm glad you are a nice vet, a friend of mine reported her vet for fraud.." make up the details. This shows that you are AWARE of the problem and will make them think twice!

Well thas the plan!
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2004, 07:41 PM
Dont talk about vets to me, my vets sends me letters every month about flea treatments, worm treatment, innoculations, tagging you name it and both my dogs are up to date with them all. It sends me mad. If I have to visit for anything Im coerced into buying 3 more items than I went in for.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Its hard to think straight when the vet tells you there is something wrong.
You panic

We have not been to the vet since but are due to go next week for worming tablets. They have a copy of the cardiologist report, which advises no further testing required. Will be interesting to see what they say
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >