Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2007, 08:24 AM

Really Struggling With Eyedrops :(

Hi Everyone,

Dougie has a mild eye infection which we have been trying to treat with eyedrops from boots. With no luck... He nearly had my hand off this morning. He snarls and snaps and if I dont pull away quick enough he will get my hand. It doesnt hurt him as I can clean his eyes with cotton wool and he is fine... but as soon as he sees something 'medical' he doesnt like it. The vet had to put him under just to get a basic swab of a lump he had - dispite him having a muzzle on and 2 other members of staff holding him down.

When he had the muzzle on (hes such a strong lad) he still managed to deeply cut my thumb with his claws, trying to claw off the muzzle.

I am taking him to the vet, hoping they are going to give me some tablets but I doubt it as its just a mild infection...

Anyone had any experiance of this?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Try cleaning the eyes with cotton wool first to take away any gunk, then put the drops onto a clean bit of cotton wool and wipe the eyes with that, may not be as effective and might take a bit longer to heal but at least he wont be stressing so much, which could, infact, make his healing time longer as the body isn't good when ill and stressed.
Worth a try.
Becky
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 09:05 AM
You could try bathing with cotton wool dipped in cold tea its an old wives tale that really does work on minor eye infections, runny or gunky eyes.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello, thanks for your advice...
Yes, thats what we have been doing with the eyedrops on the cotton wool but it must be a stubborn infection. I think its because he closes his eyes when you wipe them so its not actually getting to the bit it should. Its been getting worse, not better, but that might be what the vet suggests and just being patient.

Just booked him in to the vets and had a quick word with her... she said its very unlikely they will be able to treat the infection with anything but drops.

Will try the cold tea as well!!! Been using diluted witch hazel as well.
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:42 PM
do you stand behind him? it may be easier to have his head on a chair and you stand behind that way he cant get you with his paws.
Avani
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Hello, thanks for replying but he is too strong to do anything with... I need about 3 people to hold him down really which is very stressful for him
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Just a though and not sure it would work but when my child had to have eye drops i waited until she was sleep then did it. Not sure if it would work on a dog but might be worth a try. guess I depnds on how deep they sleep.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Just a though and not sure it would work but when my child had to have eye drops i waited until she was sleep then did it. Not sure if it would work on a dog but might be worth a try. guess I depnds on how deep they sleep.
I put Max's ear drops in when he was very sleepy - either first thing in a morning, or last thing at night.

I'd stroke him around his ears, and on his head, and talk "baby-talk" to him and flip his ears around so he knew I was messing with them...

Then I'd quickly grab the drops, flip his ear over, drop them in and go back to stroking and baby-talking him....

Would take me ages to do both ears, but was worth it! I'd rather spend ages doing that than trying to hold a Boxer down!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I'd go for the sleeping idea. Cold tea kept in the fridge overnight is brilliant for flushing out eyes (no milk of course!!!)The coldness of it, gives them a bit of relief too, nice and soothing.
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-10-2007, 03:57 PM
please be careful if doing when they are asleep as some dogs will not take kindly to this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >