View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minnie-daisy
New Member!
Female 

21-03-2006, 07:16 PM

diarrhoea and blood - still looking for an answer after 6 sessions with the vet...

hi, just registered. i have 2 cavaliers who are 14 weeks old. have been recommended this site for some advice. minnie and daisy have had 5 weeks of diarhoea and blood and after 6 sessions with the vet i am no further on. has anyone got any advice. i am told cavaliers are prone to this but my 2 previous cavaliers had no problems. i would be gratefull for some tips
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 07:24 PM
welcome to dogweb......what has the vet said ? have you spoken to the breeder ?
minnie-daisy
New Member!
Female 

21-03-2006, 07:29 PM
yes have been to the vet 6 times. including today. they have had multiple antibiotic and anti-inflamitry injections. he has even put them on prescription food. but we are still having trouble. the breeder does not want to know. they are happy enough but it causes a problem with training as well, as they are having diarhoea constantly.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2006, 08:00 PM
what food are they on
minnie-daisy
New Member!
Female 

21-03-2006, 08:02 PM
hill's i .d at the moment have tried them on james well beloved. at first they were on pedegree
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Hi, sorry to hear your dogs are poorly.

I dont know how old your two are but when i got my puppy she had diarrhoea and blood for about a week. I fed her chicken and boiled rice with natural yoghurt. The chicken and rice was to try to help firm her up and natural yoghurt to try and combat the blood. I mixed it all up together and it didnt look that great to eat but she loved it (esp the chicken and yoghurt - wouldnt eat the rice unless it was covered in yoghurt) and within a week to 10 days she was fine and hasnt looked back since.

This may not work for your dogs, i dont know, but it was suggested to me and it worked. Might be worth giving it a try and even if it doesnt work, it shouldnt harm them.

Hope they improve soon
x
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 11:11 AM
DOH! just re-read your post and seen they were 14 weeks old. How thick am i?! Sorry! Could well be down to stress etc which was what i think was wrong with my pup. She was 9 weeks old at the time. Hoep the chicken/rice/yoghurt helps your pups x
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-03-2006, 11:16 AM
i use boiled rice and white fish for mine to firm him up, but chicken is good too.

was reccomended honey in the water too for energy.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Hi Minni-daisy Has the vet taken samples and tested for bacterial infections and parasites like Giardia? If diarrhoea persists for more than a couple of days I should be investigated .
You may be able to stop the diarrhoea if you can stabilise the dogs tummies by cutting out fats and feeding starch and protein.

So that is boiled white rice with cooked fish (you can buy frozen packs of coley and cod at the supermarket),
Porridge with a tiny bit of honey (with no milk because the lactose in dairy products can make diarrhoea worse).
Feed this until the diarrhoea stops then gradually introduce chicken/scrambled eggs and normal food a little at a time.

Another old remedy that works well is go to the chemist and buy some St. Vincent Arrowroot, it is a pure starch.
You make this up rather like making custard, mix a little of the powder to a paste with water, add more water and boil until it thickens, add a little honey, cool and give a couple of tablespoons at a time.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 12:02 PM
I forgot to ask if they had been wormed? I have heard worms in pups can also be a cause of these symptoms and often worming them stops it?

x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >