View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
some people are clueless! I get this all the time and i mean all the time! It can be mighty scary when you do have a dog which is reactive and you can see idiot owners with their dogs off lead and no control over them whatsoever. Funny how lots of seem to be labs, this happened to me just the other day with a lab! Some owners are just plain clueless to other dogs, and need to work on their training before letting their dogs off their leads!

On a note, I LOVE your pictures of your girl. She looks absolutely beautful and seems to happy to be with you. I'm so pleased!
Keep up the great work with her focus training, it really will pay off if she is that good at it already. You show those other stupid owners how to train a dog!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-06-2011, 07:47 PM
lovely photos

you coyuld try throwing treats at the approaching dog then walking off as that dog is busy.

throw them calmly in an understated way, making it underarm, not overarm arousing body langauge.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 08:27 PM
What a gorgeous dog!!

We too have our fair share of numpties around here, who insist that their off lead dogs "only want to play" when I have politely told them that my dog doesn't do play and can become aggressive if another dog bounces all around and over him.

We cannot train such people - but just have to plod on with trying to train our own dogs.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:25 PM
This is why I tend to avoid areas where I expect other dogs to be off leash. It's a shame because it means me and Rupert miss out on nice walks but I just can't deal with it. And no matter how many good encounters we have with other dogs,no matter how much Rupert improves, all it takes is one dog rushing up to set us back to him throwing a hissy fit at the mere sight of a dog.

People who've never owned a reactive dog or a dog who just can't take being jumped all over because of medical issues just don't seem to think that their dog could possibly be a problem.
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:29 PM
She is gorgeous, such a lovely girl - and so lucky to have an owner like you.

Sadly, you do meet people like this - I avoid popular areas with Anton for a few reasons, but one of them is owners with no consideration for others.

Anton wagging his tail in certain situations is one of the signs he's about to have a tantrum (in one of the now rare instances when he gets frustrated onlead) - but I guess people who've never had a reactive/aggressive dog have never had to recognise that a wagging tail doesn't always signify happiness.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2