Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Another Sep Anx Thread

I know there are plenty of threads on this subject, but I've really hit and brick wall and would much appreciate any advice you may have.

My 14-week old puppy barks whenever I am out of sight. If I go to pick up his poop from the garden, have a shower, answer the door, whatever, he'll bark constantly, scratch the door, etc. I can't even go to he toilet without having to leave the door open and let him watch!

He's great at 'Stay', but only if you remain in the room. As soon as you leave, he'll start barking, and will usually defecate within a few seconds. I've tried going out behind the door in gradually increasing periods - I reached three seconds, and can't seem to get further than that without having some cleaning to do.

He's also good at staying in his crate, but, again, only when we're in sight. Once the door is locked and I'm out of the room, he goes mental, and won't stop until I return. Consequently, this makes me think that I'm advocating his barking by returning, but I have to come back some time. He also defecates in there, all over his bedding.

Kongs, food, and whatnot make little difference, and only distract him if you're in the room. Even the best burglar wouldn't be able to slip out unnoticed, Kong or not.

The weird thing is that, at night time, he seems fine, and just barks for around 15 minutes before settling for the night.

I'd love to fix this somehow, but I'm not sure on what the best remedy is, and I'm very wary of doing something that is wrong. But, I feel very restricted, and that he has full control of me, and would like that to change. I know he's still young, but nipping this in the bud early good help us hugely in the long run.

Any tips?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Have you made sure that your dog is physically and mentally tired out before starting the out of sight exercises?
Have you made sure the dog is completely empty before starting?

How soon do you “give up”?

How big is his crate, ie is it big enough for him to sleep at one end and toilet in the other?

You should NEVER go back when the dog is noisy, dogs do what works, so if he barks and even SOMETIMES you return, he will work on the premise that sooner or later this will happen and the behaviour will become STRONGER, the opposite of what you want.

The answer to your question lies in your post.

If the dog gives up after 15 minutes at night he KNOWS it is pointless to continue as you do not reward this with attention. Dogs do what works.
If he continues to bark during the day it is because he KNOWS he is GOING to get attention.

So the dog does not have true separation anxiety otherwise there would not be this difference.

I am afraid you are going to have to look in the mirror, take deep breaths and be prepared for short time hassle.

Be warned

It will get WORSE before it gets better, this is known as an extinction burst because the dog thinks “if I bark longer, louder it WILL work” you have to teach him it wont.
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2010, 02:59 PM
But if I need to go to the toilet, or do an equally quick task, I can't just stay in there for the next three hours until he stops barking.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by snoopy1239 View Post
But if I need to go to the toilet, or do an equally quick task, I can't just stay in there for the next three hours until he stops barking.
Thats all a part of training. Would you rather train now while still a puppy and inconveniance yourself a few hours or wait till it is a built in behaviour which could take months or maybe years of training when you may really need to leave the dog a few hours.

Its all about timing, never go in when barking for attention wait for a gap. Sorry doesnt sound like seperation anxiety to me just a puppy working its owner We're all guilty of it some time or another.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 03:07 PM
Why would you have to be absent from the room for 3 hours if the dog only barks at night for 15 mins, ask yourself "what is different"?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem.

You need to actively teach your pup to enjoy time alone from you and this is done slowly, minutely and planned.

If pup barks, ignore (but don't let pup get hysterical either) and then when pup stops, even for a second, say happily "good quiet" or similar and then go to pup and give attention or release from wherever pup is.

Graducally and slowly build up so that the pup learns to not bark, rather than bark, and realises that it's being quiet that earns freedom, attention and reward.

And whatever you do, remember to pay attention to your dog and calmly reward when pup is being still, quiet, relaxed and/or not barking in the house, as this will help to reinforce the idea that barking does not get attention.

There are some fab books around for puppy owners, that h help withthis sort of thing - have to dash but look for Gwen Bailey, Ian Dunbar for two, and do remember to join a good puppy class as this can lay the foundation for the future and give you so much knowledge, try the APDT or Puppy School for this

Wys
x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
Thats all a part of training. Would you rather train now while still a puppy and inconveniance yourself a few hours or wait till it is a built in behaviour which could take months or maybe years of training when you may really need to leave the dog a few hours.

Its all about timing, never go in when barking for attention wait for a gap. Sorry doesnt sound like seperation anxiety to me just a puppy working its owner We're all guilty of it some time or another.
I'd rather train now, and I'm sure there's a good chance he's training me. I'm not embarrassed by that, which is why I'm taking the step to seek advice. What I don't understand, however, is if it isn't separation anxiety, then why does he go to the toilet within seconds of me leaving? Is this another way of him trying to get me back into the room, or a sign of actual anxiety?

I'm often caught in between trying not to reward his barking, and being concerned that I'm neglecting him if I leave him alone for hours every time I need to step out of the room. I spend all day with him at the moment in the kitchen, so if I need to go to the toilet, and he starts barking in his crate, should I just go to another part of the house until he stops barking, whether that be five minutes or three hours?

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Why would you have to be absent from the room for 3 hours if the dog only barks at night for 15 mins, ask yourself "what is different"?
That's why I said it was weird. If he didn't pee as soon as I leave the room, I would assume he's just barking for control rather than anxiety. Could it be he's more tired at night, better in the dark, I don't know? I'm working at home to supervise him at the moment, so maybe I'll just take my laptop and belongings every time I go to the toilet and then work upstairs until he's stopped barking, even if I have to do this for most of the day. Is that the best plan going forward?
snoopy1239
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Thank you for your feedback, btw.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 04:44 PM
if I leave him alone for hours every time I need to step out of the room

that is the whole point you do NOT leave him for hours, you step outside and literally pop back in BEFORE he barks if poss or as SOON as he is silent, timing is CRUCIAL.

You mention that you work from home this is one of the drawbacks of being home at all times with dogs, because there is no NEED to leave the dog, nobody bothers, and then before you know it, Voila a dog that has never been trained to be alone.

It is the same sort of issue for people who have acres of land and do not NEED to take dogs elsewhere for walks, you then get a dog that is not comfortable in certain situations.

I know it seems like a HUGE problem at the moment, and maybe it might be more helpful if you get someone in to help you who knows what they are doing to show you the techniques rather than reading about them?

Where do you live perhaps we could recommend someone in your area?

You won't need them for weeks just maybe once or twice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >