register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

07-05-2004, 01:55 PM

In-breeding and Line-breeding - your thoughts on these practices?

give us your thoughts i,ll keep yous on your toes..lolol
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

07-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Don't really know much about the topic. Perhaps you could give us a good description of each Kinz?
moo
Dogsey Senior

07-05-2004, 02:12 PM
dont really have an opinion at the mo cos i dont know anything about it, if i did i probably would have an opinion
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Give us your thoughts first Kinzy. Or are you just wanting to argue against the first poster?Whatever they might say.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

07-05-2004, 04:59 PM
not my style nursery....lol....i have my own thoughts what you got to remember is there is no right or wrong on any of these topics its all down to personal preference..imo. i have my views whickh i,ll post later but you could say i,m for done in the right way .....if there was a right and a wrong nursery i wouldnt feel the need to post , i,d know the answer i do my homework!!!! :P
kinzy
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

07-05-2004, 05:21 PM
my thoughts
In breeding is a very dangerous breeding method to use and shouldnt be used by just anybody, if your homework is done well it is the most reliable breeding method to sort out bad traits in a breeding program...Should not be done unless you know at least 3 generations behind the breeding of your dogs
line breeding is a useful breeding method imo to establish certain type and weed out some bad traits again not a method to be used by all and sundry but effective with less implications to inbreeding,Agian i think you have to really know the dogs behind the breeding pair at least 3 generations.

kinzy

ready to be shot at now nursery ops:
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2004, 08:42 PM
In breeding, is mating together, mother to son, or father to daughter or full brother to full sister. Clearly this can be a dangerous thing to do because of the closeness in the ancestry. Good traits can be fixed in to the breeding line, but, faults can be fixed just as easily.

Line breeding is the mating together of related individuals, connecting more than one line to a particular animal over several generations. Becase there is more variety among the ancestors, it is generally regarded as the safer option.

Out crossing is the mating together of unrelated dog and bitch. The use of this method in itself will produce puppies of widely varying type. Many breeders use an outcross mating perhaps once in three or four generations to dilute a concentrated line breeding programme.

A sound knowledge of the breed over many many generations is a absolute must when using in and line breeding methods.

I will say that my one and only litter so far was closely line bred, half brother to half sister. The parents dam lines were unconnected, and I did this mating under the close supervision of the top breeder in the breed. So had the benefit of great experience, novices should beware unless they have an experienced mentor.
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

08-05-2004, 12:46 AM
hi nusery i agree i actually plan on doing the same breedin next year half bro/half sis
but i would class this as an inbreeding!!!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2004, 04:39 AM
I just read something about this on another forum, and someone saw a puppy born with two heads
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2004, 09:27 AM
line breeding ...urm... in some breeds it has been blamed for certain problems and we are now seeing the results of this in ckcs.... lots of research at this time is going on and we have been told that if we have certain lines in our pedigree's then to outcross any future litters...there is some good reading stuff on the cavalier club website it explains on there as well about linebreeding and how to avoid it ... I am sure not all will agree with this but i feel anything we can do to avoid future genetic problems has to be a good thing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >