View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Best (human) coat for those wet weather walks????

Yesterday it was chucking it down all day and Pepper and I got soaked. I was wearing my stupid pac-mac which I think I have washed too many times and now it isn't even slightly waterproof. Pepper wasn't at all bothered, loves being toweled dry and then her fur went all cute and tufty because I didn't have time to comb her.:smt049

What do you guys wear? Who has the perfect coat for those soggy days?

Please bear in mind that I'm 5ft 1in and as my ever tactful mother puts it 'built for comfort not for speed' so although I am the most unfashionable person on the planet I don't want to be doing too much of a dumpling impersonation!

Any ideas?

J
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:11 AM
I have a Peter Storm waterproof lightweight hooded jacket which I bought in Milletts sale last season- seems to work but not worn it in really heavy rain for long periods. If it isnt windy I tend to use a brolley too
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:18 AM
I have a Regatta waterproof coat, and so far it's not let me down, I think i have had 2/3 years now, it has a foldaway hood, which is great for dog walking, the last thing you need is an umbrella, there's nothing fashionable about it, but that doesn't concern me, it also has a couple of secret pockets, which is great for mobile phones or stuff, when this one wears out, I'll definatley get another. If you don't mind spending fortune on a coat then there's always the Barbour jackets
terrysibe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:41 AM
I bought a waxed cotton coat with a hood (Barbour imitation) for £15 at a show a couple of years ago. It's brilliant - wouldn't be without it!
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I also have a (very fetching) waterproof anorak with hood from regatta, waterproof and easy to wash in the machine for those mucky paw prints. It has lots of pockets and a zip out fleece for the cold weather. I got it in the sale at an outdoor shop for £35 and it has been worth every penny.

I also wear my OH's waterproof golfing trousers on torrential days tucked into my wellies and look a sight I'll tell you
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Waterproof trousers, coat £10 from a camping shop, plus my karrimoor waterproof. It also has a zip-in fleece for cold days. This was reduced down from £140 to about £40 inoutdoor world. If you have one near you it is always worth a look. On my feet I have a pair or fleece lined muck boots as I find them comfier than wellies.

I don`t know about looking like a dumpling but I am normally dry and warm......
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
I've been pondering the same question. I'm considering getting a new coat as well.

I have a Just Togs coat that is thigh length. It's from when I used to go horseriding and proved great for dog walking.

I'd love to try a full length waxed coat for when the weather gets really nasty, but knowing how filthy my coat gets; How do you clean a waxed jacket? Obviously you can't stick it in the washing machine like a synthetic coat.

I'm also thinking about getting a decent pair of walking boots/shoes. My trainers are beat and I ended up iceskating rather than walking last year cos they were so slippery !!
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by kirstya72 View Post
I also wear my OH's waterproof golfing trousers on torrential days tucked into my wellies and look a sight I'll tell you
I did that once, and all the water ran down into my wellies , and I ended squelching my way round so after that I never tucked them in again, just rustled my way round the walks. Heehee, you don't need to be a fashion plate when exercising your dogs in the winter do you
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I have loads of jackets of all makes,trick is to wear the waterproof trousers too as water runs off the jackets and soaks your legs if you don't.I never get soaked if I plan ahead,used to keep a spare pair of wellies in the car until Kizzy ate them,xxxxxxxxxx
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
What is it those hardy types say...There is no such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I like the sound of the warterproof jackets with fleece linings, now all I need is to find one made for people with short arms and big hips that's in a sale! I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled, like this...

J
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >