Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogslovelinda
New Member!
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:14 PM

What do I do about puppy's soft poo?

My 17 week old Papillon puppy (POPPY) had diarrhea from the day I brought her home at 12 weeks old, I had started her on Pedigree Chum puppy and after a few days I took her to the vet, she told me not to change the brand of food as that could cause diarrhea and she gave me some paste that had kaolin in it. This didn't help and after a few days the diarrhea got worse. I saw a different vet who gave her a 3 day course of antibiotics and a worming tablet, at the same time I changed her food to Butchers Puppy and the diarrhea cleared up almost immediately. As the vet wouldn't vaccinate her till she had been diarrhea free for two weeks I had to wait till last Tuesday before taking her for her first vaccination (the breeder had not had her vaccinated). Unfortunately straight after the injection her stools turned really soft. A Canadian friend who is a member here advised me to try her on a wheat free food so I went to Pets at home and bought a bag of James Wellbeloved and am gradually introducing it into her food. Am I doing the right thing and how long will it take to see a difference in her stools so that I know if it is working or not?
Linda
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:28 PM
when you say chum to you mean canned meat or dry food ?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Pedigree Chum, in my experience tends to be too rich for most dogs to handle, especially puppies. It tends to go straight through them so to speak.

James Wellbeloved is a very good brand of food. It is hypoallergenic so does not contain any of the common food allergens. I have never fed James Wellbeloved myself, but I know a lot of Dogsey members who do and always sing it's praises.

Do you know what the paste your vet gave you was called? I find Pro-Max to be fantastic at clearing up diarrhoea and always keep some in stock just in case.

However, if antibiotics and pro-biotics have been tried, it may be worthwhile taking a stool sample to your veterinary surgery for testing. They will probably have to send the sample away to an outside laboratory. Speak to your vet and see what they think about this
noubi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-09-2007, 05:57 PM
i would say keep on with the JW and see what happens it should be fine so long as u r using the puppy variety, give it a couple of days then think again if it isnt helping.
dogslovelinda
New Member!
Female 

30-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
when you say chum to you mean canned meat or dry food ?
I bought the meat in the pouches
dogslovelinda
New Member!
Female 

30-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Pedigree Chum, in my experience tends to be too rich for most dogs to handle, especially puppies. It tends to go straight through them so to speak.

James Wellbeloved is a very good brand of food. It is hypoallergenic so does not contain any of the common food allergens. I have never fed James Wellbeloved myself, but I know a lot of Dogsey members who do and always sing it's praises.

Do you know what the paste your vet gave you was called? I find Pro-Max to be fantastic at clearing up diarrhoea and always keep some in stock just in case.

However, if antibiotics and pro-biotics have been tried, it may be worthwhile taking a stool sample to your veterinary surgery for testing. They will probably have to send the sample away to an outside laboratory. Speak to your vet and see what they think about this
I can't remember what it was called, if someone said the name I would know it so it definitely wasn't pro-max, where do you get it?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 07:38 PM
I use JW its a great brand!
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by dogslovelinda View Post
I can't remember what it was called, if someone said the name I would know it so it definitely wasn't pro-max, where do you get it?
I get mine from the surgery, but you may well be able to get it online somewhere
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Introduce the JWB until that is all you are feeding the dog, and give it a few days! Sometimes 'chum' can , as said above, be too rich for dogs! Also make sure you are feeding the correct amount of 'grams' of the JWB, as sometimes too much of this, especially puppy, can also 'run-through' a dog!

After a few days on the dry food alone, the stool should be 'tighter' and also a better colour!!

Hope this helps!
dogslovelinda
New Member!
Female 

01-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by garethb83 View Post
Introduce the JWB until that is all you are feeding the dog, and give it a few days! Sometimes 'chum' can , as said above, be too rich for dogs! Also make sure you are feeding the correct amount of 'grams' of the JWB, as sometimes too much of this, especially puppy, can also 'run-through' a dog!

After a few days on the dry food alone, the stool should be 'tighter' and also a better colour!!

Hope this helps!
Do you think it makes any difference giving her it crunchy or soaking it first in water first? because I have been softening it with water for her meal and using it crunchy for treats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >