Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CanadianSniper
New Member!
Male 

03-01-2017, 12:22 AM

Dog Housing for multiple Dogs

Hello all. New member here.

I have owned Bernese Mountain dogs my whole life. I was raised on a farm with horses and we had one. And that day forward it was the breed for me. Never owned another breed nor have I ever even looked. When it's right for you it's right for you.

In all my years I have always owned one at a time. I have had 4 dogs in my life and all were alone. My dog now watches over my horses. Does a great job. Keeps coyotes away and is a amazing family dog. I feed him 100 percent raw and is a super healthy 2.5 year old. My dog as all the others is a outdoor doG. Now that being said he does not sleep in the barn. He has a doggy door into the garage which is lightly heated. Kept at around 45 degrees. Rarely gets down to high 30s. I have built him a insulated house with a dog house heater as well. Quite honestly I rarely see him even sleeping in there. Only the nights it's really cold. Normally I think the house is too warm for him with his winter coat. He has another bed in garage that's in open which he seems to prefer.

Well for the first time we want a second dog. My wife is convincing me he will be happier with a friend. I agree or just agree that I want another dog. The only thing foreign to me now is sleeping arrangements. The current house is too small for both dogs. We have a 12 week on the way next week. My question is. Do I build one larger home for them both to sleep together ? Or make 2 separate houses? I always knew dogs to be pack animals so I assumed together would be better. Thoughts ? Maybe one large house with 2 exits so they don't get in each other's ways ?
kaliska
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Usually dogs each prefer their own space but within a shared area. So an individual crate/house in the same room/garage.
stephy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by kaliska View Post
Usually dogs each prefer their own space but within a shared area. So an individual crate/house in the same room/garage.
I agree. Sometimes my dogs would cuddle and sleep together but end up on different beds or areas by morning.
Jjimbo
New Member!
Male 

18-01-2017, 12:34 AM
As long as they can come and go as they please I would do 1 big house but big enough for them to stretch out providing they get along.