Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
C.J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2016, 06:35 PM

Help neighbours puppy

so we have a little girl shadow she is such a lovely cocker next door have a puppy cocker as well we got them around the same time about 10 weeks ago it's our neighbours first dog so far the puppy has been in the create most of the time in the utility room let out for a few hours a day they went away for a couple of days and some other neighbours came round for an hour a day to let it out i do not know what they did about feeding it perhaps the other neighbours came round more i just didn't see them
anyway our cocker has loads of exercise only in her crate at night and if we nip out i don't really go out so that's not often walked 3 times a day
there house is very tidy the puppy is not allowed in the house only the utility room why would anyone get a dog if its not going to be part of the family
anyway today i was in the garden with shadow they were out back and i overheard them talking they are now going to put this little pup about 18 week old outside in the shed because she works nights and doesn't want to get up to let it out before 1 in the afternoon it's the uk and quite cold at night but i don't think there is anything i can do just makes me sad to see a little pup treated like that i do try to talk to her and have often said if she wants help training ect i will help her i have had a few dogs but she comes across posh and were not if you know what i mean

sorry rant over
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Not the time of year for this puppy to start to live outside if she's used to a house. Poor little thing
My girls do live outside, they have always lived outside, in well insulated kennels (more like houses really) with rubber matting down, deep shavings and heat lamps if the temp goes below freezing. They are born in the house (unless the mum beats me to it, and doesn't let on she is about to give birth - happened twice now) then about 4 weeks old they go outside for a couple of hours, then I lengthen it, at 6-7 weeks they are out full time. If its winter, they come in at night, but summer they are out by 6 weeks. I make sure they are all fed, bedded down and clean before I see to myself, thats the way I was taught. I really think they should rehome this puppy, it seems to have no life with the family, and it will grow up with massive issues and be a problem. Very sad indeed. If you are quite friendly with her, perhaps mention how cold it is at night now and how happy Shadow is to be tucked up warm by the radiator etc. Try and get her to to tell you what she is considering. By the way, the puppy needs feeding in the morning, whether she wants to get up or not, thats what the puppy needs, Lord knows why they got a dog. If its not being fed, badly housed and in poor condition then the RSPCA will investigate the case. I hope
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Hmm well firstly I'm guessing you can't see through walls, secondly it's a puppy and probably not house trained yet so confining to a single room or a few rooms makes sense. I confine my puppies mainly to the kitchen conservatory and utility as the floors are tiled and much easier to clean. What's having a tidy house got to do with anything? I have 5 dogs and a tidy house does that make me a bad owner? My dogs are very much part of the family.Does she live on her own?I guess not as they went away, so whoever else is in the house can feed the dog while she's asleep. I wouldn't put my dogs in the shed and my shed is lovely and fully insulated but that's because I want them with me not down the far end of the garden. Lots of people house dogs in outbuildings, sheds and garages etc though and I doubt the RSPCA would do anything as long as the animal has shelter, food and water.
C.J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2016, 09:27 PM
trouble
she has had quite a few conversations with me and told me it had not been feed thats why it was prob barking
i doubt the rspca would do anything either
it will never be housetrained if they dont spend any time with it they got the puppy for the little girl she is 13 but the mum told me she is bored of it now they also won't let it in the garden because he likes to dig i don't know maybe i am a bit soft on animals but my dog spends all day with us even if i go to the toilet lol

tawneywolf
yours are looked after and its different being with other dogs in insulated kennels i think i will suggest that they re home the father shouts at the dog and i saw him come home hands full of bags he moved it out the way with his feet not quite a kick but still aggressive
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2016, 09:48 PM
If it's not being fed it would be noticeably underweight
Every parent should be aware that most kids lose interest in what was once their hearts desire and anyway house training would be the parents responsibility.
Don't be surprised if she tells you to mind your own business.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-11-2016, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by C.J View Post
the father shouts at the dog and i saw him come home hands full of bags he moved it out the way with his feet not quite a kick but still aggressive
OMG that's awful, sounds like they are the worst type of humans and should never be allowed tohave a dog let alone a vulnerable puppy.

They also sound like the ignorant types who won't listen and learn and who think they are Gods gift to the human race.

Don't know what to advise, really feel sorry for you. Having two dogs is not much more costly than one so have you thought about taking puppy into your home
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-11-2016, 10:04 PM
my dog spends all day with us even if i go to the toilet lol
Dogs are hugely social creatures, they crave company above almost everything. He will look to you as a leader and protector, I thought anyone with even half a brain would understand that.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2016, 09:33 AM
I would be more concerned about the pup being left alone for long periods, not being exercised or fed rather than whether it lives inside or outside. However, from your description alone, it does sound like they are having second thoughts about getting a puppy and they simply don't have the time or inclination to look after it properly. Sadly, not an uncommon problem.

Could you engage the owner in a conversation about the pup and gently suggest that rehoming might be the best option. Is it a working or show cocker puppy? How old is it now?

If she isn't prepared to rehome then sadly there is very little you can do, other than report to the RSPCA. I believe they are duty bound to investigate every complaint but if the pup has shelter, food and water then there is probably little they can do (but it might be a kick up the bum to the owners to look after their dog a little more diligently). You also need to bear in mind that while the RSPCA would not tell the neighbour it was you who complained, it might be fairly obvious if you have already spoken to her about the dog, and I am sure you don't want to fall out with neighbours.

Tricky situation.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-11-2016, 10:27 AM
so we have a little girl shadow she is such a lovely cocker next door have a puppy cocker as well we got them around the same time about 10 weeks ago it's our neighbours first dog so far the puppy has been in the create most of the time in the utility room let out for a few hours a day they went away for a couple of days and some other neighbours came round for an hour a day to let it out i do not know what they did about feeding it perhaps the other neighbours came round more i just didn't see them
anyway our cocker has loads of exercise only in her crate at night and if we nip out i don't really go out so that's not often walked 3 times a day
there house is very tidy the puppy is not allowed in the house only the utility room why would anyone get a dog if its not going to be part of the family
anyway today i was in the garden with shadow they were out back and i overheard them talking they are now going to put this little pup about 18 week old outside in the shed because she works nights and doesn't want to get up to let it out before 1 in the afternoon it's the uk and quite cold at night but i don't think there is anything i can do just makes me sad to see a little pup treated like that i do try to talk to her and have often said if she wants help training ect i will help her i have had a few dogs but she comes across posh and were not if you know what i mean

sorry rant over
A sad tale it would seem but, as another poster commented, you can't see through walls or maybe the whole situation.

Just a gentle suggestion. To you and others. A few paragraph/line breaks would make the text easier to read.
C.J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2016, 10:22 PM
i told her i thought it would be cold and alone in the shed and they decided to keep him in the utility room but they didn't take to kindly of me sticking my nose in when i suggested re homing good job we're moving soon x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >