View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Try not to feel bad, like you say it was an automatic reaction beyond your control.....just like hers was probably. I wonder if its part of the post seizure thing going on.

There are a few things you could do, one would be to give her a reward of higher value when you want her to move away from the oil cloth. Maybe show her the treats, and guide her to a different area and scatter them then she can do that while you return to the oil cloth to pick it up and clean it. Like you say never happen again but it would be good to have some positive reinforcement happening around the issue for a while.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Catrin she had already moved away from the oilcloth when I offered her the tiny treats as "swapsies" for the bone. She left the oilcloth and the bone, followed me to watch me bag it and put it back into the freezer, then just went for my arm when I went back to remove it.

It just happened. It was not like my Pereg and I am sure it was not intentional. And I still love her best of all the Pereg's in the world.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Catrin she had already moved away from the oilcloth when I offered her the tiny treats as "swapsies" for the bone. She left the oilcloth and the bone, followed me to watch me bag it and put it back into the freezer, then just went for my arm when I went back to remove it.

It just happened. It was not like my Pereg and I am sure it was not intentional. And I still love her best of all the Pereg's in the world.
: ) I see...like you say just one of those things. Confusion, heat of the moment, who knows. Give her a big hug from us....and one for you too.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2013, 01:20 AM
air snapping, also called fly snapping is a form of epilepsy. maybe Pereg is doing it as a residual effect of her last seizure. it is also thought that dogs, like people, may hallucinate after a seizure.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2013, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by manydogz View Post
air snapping, also called fly snapping is a form of epilepsy. maybe Pereg is doing it as a residual effect of her last seizure. it is also thought that dogs, like people, may hallucinate after a seizure.
What I call air-snapping when Pereg and I are playing is nothing like the fly snapping episodes in some forms of epilepsy, nor was it like the air-snapping when I was clipping her claws. That was because she thought I was taking too long [which I was] and she objected. But in that case those were just little warnings.

No - for some unknown reason she did not want me to take the piece of oilcloth away, so went for my arm to stop me taking it. But as I said, she let me take it to clean it after she had had the fish a bit later with no problem at all. And it was not the fact that she actually caught my arm that bothered me, it was the fact that I retaliated by pushing her away the way I did that bothered me - and still does.
manydogz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2013, 09:03 PM
I know you feel terrible about pushing Pereg away, but it was a natural reaction to your pain. Pereg, being the sweet thing she seems to be, has probally completely forgotten about it. Two of my dogs are very mouthy and will gnaw on my arm in excitement when I get home after being out. It hurts and they have drawn blood on occasion. I have pushed them away and raised my voice at them. I felt bad too as I cleaned the blood off my arm. After a few more times they have learned not to be so rough and now I only have to change my tone of voice and they'll calm down and gnaw much more gently. It's just their way of being happy to see me so I only wanted to tone it down...not stop it. Maybe Pereg was trying to tell you that she wanted more to eat.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2