View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 07:51 PM
I can't say really what the Lurchers are like, only that they seem to give off something that upsets other dogs.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-09-2013, 07:54 PM
I began to wonder if there is a "henchman" among the pack (using the term loosely here) whose job is to maintain the health of the pack i.e taking out the weak that might slow them down and thus endanger the pack's health. My dog is no leader - he couldn't lead he is just too damn stupid but he's not scared to take on dogs of any size.

A year and half ago my dog attacked quite viciously a gorgeous Labrador. Sometime later I was out and talking to a couple who had taken on a beautiful retriever and they were telling me that they had yet to hear her bark. As we were talking the black Labrador that my one had attacked previously walked by about 15 ft away and the retriever started barking at her. I did wonder after that if there was something wrong with this Labrador. Funnily she was super-hypoallergenic - whether other dogs could pick up on something I'm not sure.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I can't say really what the Lurchers are like, only that they seem to give off something that upsets other dogs.
Is it when they are running around? Other dogs often seem to be aroused by Remus speed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Is it when they are running around? Other dogs often seem to be aroused by Remus speed.
Certainly isn't that in the case of the old dog I'm talking about here Catrin. I've never ever seen it run at all. Its owner is quite old and ploddy and she keeps it on a short rein on a harness it can't even run round her really. If she sits on the wall it sits up there with her. Doesn't move quickly at all.

I felt SO sorry for it tonight when I saw the injury but it just set me thinking WHY does this dog get attacked so often and by dogs that seem to get on with all the other dozens of dogs they see most days? It's no 'stranger to the club' either. She's had it for years and always walks it in the same places.

This last dog to have a go at it is the newest member of the mutt pack here - saw it for the first time this week. And it's a five month old pup!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 08:22 PM
What does he look like?
Hiker
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Interesting.
When Juno was about 6 months old I started taking him to a local equestrian centre, where they had training and an agility course set up one night a week for dogs.
On our 2nd visit he was set upon by a Staffie and Rottweiler, nothing serious, but he was by my side the whole time, so couldn't make out what had set them off.
The month previous, some dogs that he had met and played with had started getting aggressive all of a sudden at the sight of him.

The weekend following the Staffie/Rottie attack, I was away and Juno was staying with the breeder I got him off. As usual, Cara (Juno's father/Rottweiler) put him in his place, just to let him know who was boss. Juno was in submissive mode the whole weekend he stayed there.

We arrived at the equestrian center again, and the 2 dogs that had went for him the previous week, were now over sniffing and trying to play with Juno.
Whatever signal Juno was giving off, his Dad had sorted out over a weekend.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Interesting Hiker. As for what this poor dog looks like - best way I can describe it is totally nondescript! Small to Medium sized, mostly white with splodges of ginger, looking whiskered from age. No idea what it is but looks a bit like this dog type only shorter, fatter, older and without the black bits lol!

I might even have a piccie of it from some old photos taken on walks. I will have a look.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:16 PM
nope! Found a few more of Bella with her pals in the daylight and of a doggy meet up alongside the beach (not ON the beach that's not allowed!) so I will add them to my Bella doggy pals photo thread.

One thing I will say is that the owner of this dog is not sociable. Always looks most distrustful of everyone lol! I think she spoke more words to me tonight in response to me asking how her dog got injured than she has in five years previous!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
nope! Found a few more of Bella with her pals in the daylight and of a doggy meet up alongside the beach (not ON the beach that's not allowed!) so I will add them to my Bella doggy pals photo thread.

One thing I will say is that the owner of this dog is not sociable. Always looks most distrustful of everyone lol! I think she spoke more words to me tonight in response to me asking how her dog got injured than she has in five years previous!
Maybe that's the issue, the owner is giving off signals that upsets all the dogs.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Maybe that's the issue, the owner is giving off signals that upsets all the dogs.
Yes maybe the dog is picking up the signal from the owner that is causing it to go BERSERK snarling and barking?

As I think I've said before - we have zillions of stray street dogs here. Sometimes one or two will be along on the dog walks! I have NEVER seen stray dogs fighting - they will romp around in twos and threes or on their own and people do know them and I've never even HEARD of a stray or street dog biting anyone or any other dog either. But then when I worked in the cat sanctuary there were no cat fights and there were nearly 200 cats living there - not caged up, all free to roam and with open 'sleeping quarters' so seems to me that without human interference they all seem to be able to co exist!

Most dogs here don't chase cats either. I suppose they are so used to seeing them everywhere.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >