Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Poor Tonks. :(

Took Tonks to the vets today as she has been lame and was no showing no signs of improvement after 48 hours rest. She left the house this end barely weight baring at all and almost fell down our steps because she was trying to do it on three legs. I put her in the car and she realises Aunty Trina was in the front seat so got excited...even more excited when she realised we were at the vets because she loves all the staff. The adrenalin started pumping, masking the pain, so by the time we got to see the vet she was hardly limping at all!

The only sign of pain she showed was when he manipulated her knee, when she turned round to look at what he was doing. Of course by the time we got home again the adrenalin had worn off and she was limping again.

She has a partial tear of the cruciate ligament, has anti inflammatories and no walks for two weeks! She can only go out on lead if she really won't poo in the garden, which she is fine doing, so it's no walks at all. He's hoping this isn't the start of further cruciate problems because apparently just a few episodes of this type of injury can lead to much further damage. Watching her walk I was thinking cruciate as her leg seemed to be wobbling a bit. My last dog snapped his cruciate at 17 years old so he couldn't have the op, but lived for another three years with one less bendy leg. Even once Tonks improves she has to be introduced back to walking and running very carefully apparently.

Once her leg is better he also wants to remove three lumps off her and send them off for biopsy. So she's in for a round few weeks.

Lucky I have this new client starting Monday, fingers crosse, because Remus flat out refuses to do more that a slight trot on walks if Tonks isn't with him...unless he finds someone else to run with.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Poor Tonks, do you have a photo of him that shows the leg? I can send Reiki direct to it if you do.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Poor Tonks hope it gets better soon and isn't too painful
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Oooo I'll have a look Mattie.
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2013, 04:22 PM
No walks for two weeks!!! Poor Tonks - hope everything is better soon.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Oh noooo! Poor Tonks and poor Remus too losing his jogging partner. Bella is the same these days - unless she has a favourite pal to do a bit of sprinting about with she just plods along with me right beside me. And my sprinting days are over!

What caused this in the first place? Sorry if I've missed a post about it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh noooo! Poor Tonks and poor Remus too losing his jogging partner. Bella is the same these days - unless she has a favourite pal to do a bit of sprinting about with she just plods along with me right beside me. And my sprinting days are over!

What caused this in the first place? Sorry if I've missed a post about it.
Not sure really. We don't do ball throwing for her. She's just too heavy and compact and the times she's gone after another dogs ball you can see her knees take the strain as she tries to stop suddenly.

Last week she disappeared on a walk for maybe u to 15 minutes. We were in a woods. She came back at the most inopportune moment when I was holding Carys in the air while she weed...so Tonks must have thought I was to busy and just did a fly by, then ******ed off for another ten minutes only to return minus her coat and covered in prickles and scratches. So I presume she had been chasing rabbits or something and got caught up in a bush and managed to leave here jumper behind. She seemed ok but on yesterday's walk she went off for a charge in the woods, I could see her running parallel to us, she just loves running through over and undere things..paths must be too boring for her. Then she came back and seemed fairly happy but stayed near and was just pottering about, both myself and my dog walker friend noticed. Then she was lame by the time we got back to our cars. So maybe it was done running around....or maybe when Remus charged into her at some point. So often they just trot along side by side but he'll also suddenly decide he wants to play and try to wrestle with her. She is stronger but he has the height to his advantage of course so can push her off balance.

I've been sticking to one in one out of the crate since it happened. I know some people don't like crates but when you have more than one dog, and at times like these, crates really are invaluable. Neither would be that happy being shut in a room away from us and this way they an be in the kitchen with all the hubbub going on around them and see me and the girls and the other dog passing and feel more involved.

They're both out the crate in the evening because all they do is snore all evening.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 06:07 PM
Oh bless her. You can hardly curb her enthusiasm for life! I do hope it doesn't result in long term problems. As for who does and doesn't like crates - YOU know what's best for YOUR dogs!

Sending best wishes to the nutcase!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Oh bless her. You can hardly curb her enthusiasm for life! I do hope it doesn't result in long term problems. As for who does and doesn't like crates - YOU know what's best for YOUR dogs!

Sending best wishes to the nutcase!
Thank you. We just did a quick swap over and Remus was so pleased to see Tonks that he grabbed her head made her stumble Hopefully by next week he'll be less excited because he'll be running around with my new client.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Poor girl 2 weeks for Tonks will feel like a lifetime!!
Hopefully after the meds and rest she'll be back to herself,fingers crossed (( hugs))
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >