View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 03:24 PM

Walking the dog in this weather? (should dogs still be walked in hot weather?)

I have just been to pick up my boys from school and it is a 40 min walk altogether. I took Brodie with me as I always do but today she struggled with the heat. On the way there she plonked herself down on the grass under a tree then coming back she stopped dead and obviously didnt feel much like going any further. I kept her in the shade as much as possible and had a place to get a drink.... well I say a drink more like a mud bath as she decided to plunge her whole head into a stream and came up with a mud pack on much to the delight of my wallpaper.
I feel very sorry for her and felt I have put her through an ordeal, being an eskimo dog she does have that second coat which isnt handy for them in this weather.
Is it a bad idea to walk them on hot days like these last few or are we depriving them of one of their life's pleasures.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2005, 03:29 PM
I dont walk mine during the day in this hot weather. We go out early in the morning for a run at the park and the rest of the day is spent in the house or outside in the shade

my 2 dont enjoy walks in the heat anyway so would rather laze about at home
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I dont think I will do that again. But heaven forbid if I try to get out of the house without them. It's sulks all round and their rejected faces leaves me in torture. I do take them iboth in the car sometimes but that is worse as even the air conditioning doesnt kick in until I have got there and if I leave the windows open when I get out Brodie tries to jump out at all the people passing. Oh the guilt of it all.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Personally I don't walk my dogs in this weather. We only have it for a few days at a time and it doesn't harm them to miss it. I leave my dogs in the shade or in a cool room
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-07-2005, 03:39 PM
i don't walk mine in this heat they are too busy chilling or sleeping.
if we do take them out its about 9 at night when its dropped down and they have a shorter walk as well.
some of the time they ask for it other times they don't if they don't i don't make them.
like yourself mine are double coated mountain type coats and its just too hot.
Carole
Supervisor

13-07-2005, 03:40 PM
I get the sad faces too but a few biscuits usually works on my 2
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

13-07-2005, 03:42 PM
I don't walk my dogs in the middle of the day - I just play games with them to keep them amused - they don't handle the heat at all
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

13-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Don`t take mine out in the day either. Very early morning & later on when theres shade in the garden Don`t think many dogs enjoy walking in the heat.
Christine.
Meg
Supervisor

13-07-2005, 04:10 PM
We go out late evening just as the sun sets..it is lovely then
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-07-2005, 04:16 PM
I walk Dibley at 6am and 10pm only, in this heat when everything has cooled down.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >