Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
doggiegurl
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2017, 11:27 PM

Why I won't ever show my dogs

I have been kidding myself for two years that one day I will take my pedigree dogs to a show.

I’ve finally realized that’s never going to happen. I wouldn’t care if they weren't placed or if they qualified for Crufts (yes, we have qualifiers in Netherlands!). I’ve lost faith in showing; I’m not impressed by the champions in my breeds. A title can’t make a good mother or a wonderful family pet.

If I decide to breed and someone remarks “but your dog hasn’t ever been shown”, I might just say - well what’s it to you? If I’m doing everything right (health testing, temperament checks, screening potential puppy buyers etc) and my dog hasn’t set foot in a show ring, WHY SHOULD YOU CARE?

I’m passionate about purebred dogs and devoted to my chosen breeds. That won’t change if I rescue a mongrel.
I promote responsible breeding and early desexing. That won’t change if I become a breeder.
I support the De Raad van Beheer op Kynologisch gebied in Nederland and their showing activities. That won’t change if I choose not to participate.

Success in the show ring does not automatically make for a well-rounded dog or a good owner. I’ll measure my success by the health and happiness of my dogs. At the end of the day, what do the judges know anyway?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Hi, Welcome

We have a fantastic article on breeding:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=12589

Early neutering is not considered a good thing by many people btw. Personally I would not castrate a male and would not neuter a female until at least two seasons or until fully matured (2 to 3 years in some breeds). Other people's opinions may differ..
doggiegurl
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2017, 12:19 AM
I meant early neutering (approx 6mths old) for non-pedigree dogs. If you're a responsible, registered owner of a purebred dog it's up to you if/when it's neutered. Sorry I wasn't very clear in the original post!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2017, 01:07 AM
If you don't attend dog shows, how are you going to decide which stud dogs to use? It is essential to attend at least breed club shows in order to keep an ideal type in your mind's eye, and also to see what particular dogs are producing from bitches with similar bloodlines to your own. Where else would you acquire your skills as a breeder? Without evaluating the dogs in the ring, how can you learn to cool headedly evaluate your own stock? Conversation with other breeders can reveal real gems of breed information which would never be available to you elsewhere. Breeders who do not pay attention to breed type, as well as health certificates, are responsible for the high number of pet quality dogs which, although their owners love them, do not turn out to look the way they expected them to look.
doggiegurl
New Member!
Female 

06-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Thank you

I don't believe stray dogs and non-purebreds should wait until they are 12-18mths to be neutered. By that time they could've already had a couple of litters, adding to the number of dogs on the streets, in pounds, and in shelters.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2017, 01:18 AM
Why would owning a crossbred dog mean that it had to be neutered at six months? Surely it is better to wait till all development has taken place before terminating the supply of those vital hormones.
Personally, I don't believe in juvenile neutering. It isn't difficult to supervise your dog to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2017, 01:49 PM
I don't believe any dog should be neutered unless for medical reasons.
What do judges know anyway? Well you'd hope they could judge whether or not the dog confirms to the breed standard. I also have no intentions of breeding my dogs, I have pedigrees of both sexes but they will not be reproducing. I'll still source the best pup I can from a show breeder when buying a puppy.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2017, 03:55 PM
I have a crossbreed and she isn't neutered, my choice, I've thought about it a few times, it that doesn't make me irresponsible. I'm quite capable of making sure she doesn't end up with puppies! Why should I treat her any different to if I owned a pure bred dog?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-02-2017, 04:25 PM
I live in a country where male dogs are only neutered for medical reasons and most vets won't consider spaying a female under the age of 1 year old

None of my dogs have ever got pregnant or sired an unwanted litter, simply because I've never placed them in a situation where it could happen!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Don't understand the logic of only neutering crossbreeds but not pure bred, are crossbreed owners irresponsible and pedigrees responsible then.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >