Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
OMG you really don't understand dogs at all, do you? Wow. I mean, I knew you didn't understand dogs, but to give them the power of human reasoning just blows my mind.

Adam, stay far away from dogs.
I'm plagerising the quote in the culture clash, the original quote was in relation to house training/chewing.

Adam
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I'm plagerising the quote in the culture clash, the original quote was in relation to house training/chewing.

Adam
Care to share the original quote because I doubt that she ascribed such human reasoning to a dog.

The idea that a dog sniffs something, maybe something it doesn't even know, gets shocked, and then can sit back and think "wow why did I get shocked? Hmmm...I've sniffed stuff before. That's nothing new. So what was it? Ohhh I see. It was that funny smell. I guess that means I better stay away from that funny smell" is laughable at best.

And besides all THAT, the dog no doubt smells all the alligators anyway.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
For the record, I know some folks who have lived in the Everglades. It's not as bad as this guy is making it out to be.
I did wonder - I could not quite believe alligators were behind every bush and every corner

There are not alligators on every corner just waiting to eat you and your dog. And as long as you don't walk right along the water's edge, where alligators hide, you shouldn't have a problem.

See here's a neighborhood in the Everglades.

See how far away from water it is? They suggest you stay 10-15 feet away from the water, further during mating season. I'd say that neighborhood is a good bit further away than 10-15 feet.

I really do think this guy was just here to stir up things.

That's great info, thanks!

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post

Adam ....

Isn't that a bit dangerous, if Darkwolf takes your advice, and then ends up dogless?
I so agree, truer words were never spoken

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Got to agree with you there Crysania.

Unlike Adam I have been to the southern US states several times and funnily enough I stayed 6 weeks the last time with a herpetologist/ecologist. It was like an amazing safari, I can tell you.

This was a guy who does bat studies, gator studies, all kinds of stuff, who picks up any snake he sees on the highway (yes we met copperheads, eastern diamondbacks and water moccasins, and he had a coral snake preserved in his freezer) & records it for the state museum stats with position by GPS.

We went out at night specifically to find gators and found them - usually just a torch (flashlight) can do that, as you shine it out and you have two big amber eyes staring at you.

We talked about dogs and he said he might like to train a labrador one day to detect bats, but where everything else was concerned, he'd leave the dog at home. Just too dangerous!

This was a guy who's been raised, studied, trained and lived in this ecosystem... earned a living out of it by being taken on by the state needing a bat census or building contractors wanting to do new developments, it was him who had to do the eco study to see if it would affect any populations of rare animals.

I had a fantastic time and ended up knowing more than most of the state residents about the wildlife in their own backyards. Yep have been close to wild gators..... yep have been walking through snake habitat.... and no I would not want to take a dog out there with me. It's common sense.

Going to wait for Darkwolf to pick me up on that now...
~Great post there, Merlin's Mum, loved reading that. I bet that was a fab time

Wys
x
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 04:28 PM
I got the impresison DW had all ready sorted it out.

Adam
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I got the impresison DW had all ready sorted it out.

Adam

I asked on the other thread, but have you ever studied in the States, with alligator and dog interaction. As all info I have found, says to keep dogs out of harm's way, never let the dog get close to the water, and keep the dog on a lead in an area, where there are alligators.

Your advice, if taken by someone reading it, who may value your opinion,as a trainer, and people pay you for your service you say. If it is the wrong or dangerous, this could end up with someone losing their pet.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Seeing as my advice is right, its hardly a problem.

Adam
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Seeing as my advice is right, its hardly a problem.

Adam

Have you done this yourself, with a dog, trained a dog with an alligator?

It is a dangerous thing, to mess about with, unless you have the knowledge and experience Adam. Your advice could cost someone their dog.

So, I take it means no, you have never been to the States and worked in this situation.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-02-2011, 04:56 PM
My advice is based on my knowledge of training from people who do actually do this.
Everyone else's knowledge seems based on well nothing lol.

Adam
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >