Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 08:12 AM
We watched that yesterday. Was in hysterics watching Riley on the sofa
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 08:23 AM
BBC don't let me watch this from Cyprus (not unless I pay for iplayer or use a vpn) bah humbugs BBC!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 08:45 AM
It is the manager from Manchester dogs home with her Rottie she took home after his 7 days where up.
She discusses rehoming big dogs with children. Riley the Rotties was clearly the gentlest of dogs who had had aggression issues at the beginning. He was snuggling up to the presenter and rolled on his back for a tummy rub. Bottom line there is no hard and fast rule when rehoming dogs to families and each dog and family has to be assessed on its on merits and experience of would be adopters/adoptees.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
It is the manager from Manchester dogs home with her Rottie she took home after his 7 days where up.
She discusses rehoming big dogs with children. Riley the Rotties was clearly the gentlest of dogs who had had aggression issues at the beginning. He was snuggling up to the presenter and rolled on his back for a tummy rub. Bottom line there is no hard and fast rule when rehoming dogs to families and each dog and family has to be assessed on its on merits and experience of would be adopters/adoptees.
Yes and no. Thorough assessment and training of dogs and applicant's is vital , which proper rescues like machester would do . however, there is a limitations to kennel rescue kennel based assessing practical legal liability insurance health and safety etc for example rescues don't have kids for child testing so the best policy for decent rescues like Manchester is no dogs with no history with young children. especially as you are never homing to afamily you are homing to society so you to
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Continued .....so when you make your assessment of family you have to think of visitors too so its risk assessment for all the friends of small children etc....excuse post using phone keypad
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2013, 12:33 PM
I was just trying to give the gist go the interview to someone who could not see.
It was not meant to be all encompassing

I agree Manchester dogs home has the proper staff to do the right things and make sensible decisions.

So many people get into rescue because they are kind individuals who love animals. They can get quickly drowned in the reality.
Is the answer to regulate rescues more? No I don't think so not based on this one incident.
I believe the mother has as much responsibility as the rescue and like the family who has been campaigning to have all dogs muzzled need to take some of the responsibility for what happened.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

09-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Riley is gorgeous what a great ambassador for the breed and Manchester Dogs Home
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I was just trying to give the gist go the interview to someone who could not see.
It was not meant to be all encompassing

I agree Manchester dogs home has the proper staff to do the right things and make sensible decisions.

So many people get into rescue because they are kind individuals who love animals. They can get quickly drowned in the reality.
Is the answer to regulate rescues more? No I don't think so not based on this one incident.
I believe the mother has as much responsibility as the rescue and like the family who has been campaigning to have all dogs muzzled need to take some of the responsibility for what happened.
Hi leadstaffs couldn't access your link . agree with all your quote. mother does have home responsibility but pound broke one of the cardinal professional rules of rehoming . problem is too many people can't or won't pick dogs for the right reasons employing sensible criteria and some people as soon as they get dogs home no matter what they tell you won't follow guidelines . so all the rescue can do is limit the options to such peole by employing criteria on behalf of and in lieu of such people, eg dogs no history no small kids . simple and defective and covers rescues back and shows complete social responsibility
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Dunno about regulating rescues more but this sort of thing has been going on in the council/pound system for years was bound to happen eventually that's where your reform needs targeting

the rescue I help at 15 years ago chap turned up with border collie that was aggressive his small kids . bored working dog finding an outlet by herding kids into the corner and heeling/nipping..we said must go back to rescue got it from. turned out be local bording kennel taking strsys from council and they told him most their customers families with kids sso would sell him again same way. Needless to say we took in the dog. we found a good home

I was appalled then I'm appalled now
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >