Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Now that is something no one has suggested. If I were now not disabled & so not competing it would be great. Am passing it on to all my friends. Have been taught moving off on a different foot if I want a stay or a heel but never this.
It is very useful for teaching positions on the move before you ARE on the move if that makes sense?

It also means you can tweak front paws, bum and head in the stationary position without confusing the dog who may always want to go into sit when not moving.

Also great for teaching left, right and about turns of course as you start slowly and you do not want bum swinging out when you turn right etc!

Also, tip, change feet ie sometimes have left foot in front and right behind and vice versa to mimic being on the move as otherwise some smart dogs differentiate!
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
And you don't think your dog could manage to learn both commands?

Both of my dogs were shown and could easily distinguish between moving in the ring and coming to a stop in a stand and walking to heel and finishing in a sit - I just used a different hand signal.

I totally understand if people don't want to teach the sit command, it's just the belief that a dog wouldn't understand the difference is what baffles me! Surely people must realise their dogs are intelligent enough to be able to differentiate?
The question you originally asked was 'Do you teach your dog to sit'. I answered it. In no part of my answer did i suggest my dog to be too idiotic to be able to grasp more than one command. I just do not feel it is a command that is of use to me as his owner.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
my dogs never plonk there bottom when we stop - an odd thing to say? they sit when asked not when we stop!
What is so odd about it? Many obedience classes teach dogs to automatically sit when thy come to a halt.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It sounds as though it is not the dog's intelligence that is in question............
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
It sounds as though it is not the dog's intelligence that is in question............
That is a really rude and condescending remark IMO.

It does not lend itself to healthy discussion.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
That is a really rude and condescending remark IMO.

Well you are entitled to your opinion of course, I am not why my remark is any more rude or condescending than the trainers who have been identified as telling people NOT to train their dogs to sit if they are show dogs?

Do you make it your mission to try and find any excues to take offence?

leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Well you are entitled to your opinion of course, I am not why my remark is any more rude or condescending than the trainers who have been identified as telling people NOT to train their dogs to sit if they are show dogs?

Do you make it your mission to try and find any excues to take offence?

You can have your opinion, I did not say you couldn't.
As this is the first time I have passed remark it's hardly a mission.

I just think to remark at a person potential lack of intelligence is off topic and unnecessarily rude and might be a better indicater of someone intelligence rather than there wish to teach a dog to sit or not.

I won't lose sleep over it.
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Who is this directed at?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by border pop View Post
Who is this directed at?
Well if you read the thread it should be obvious.

It was in direct response to Ripsnorter's post who, like me, identified that dogs are intelligent enough to be able to sit and stand in context; unlike the underskilled "trainers" who believe that show dogs must never be trained to sit.

The comment had nothing to do with whether or not somebody WISHES to teach their dog to sit or not, but was directed at those who believe people must NOT.

But, as usual, the only exercise some people get is when they jump to conclusions!

So thank you for asking, still no idea what imagined slight Leadstaffs has identified, but as I always say, people who are intent on TAKING offence, must be allowed to do so!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Well if you read the thread it should be obvious.

It was in direct response to Ripsnorter's post who, like me, identified that dogs are intelligent enough to be able to sit and stand in context; unlike the underskilled "trainers" who believe that show dogs must never be trained to sit.

The comment had nothing to do with whether or not somebody WISHES to teach their dog to sit or not, but was directed at those who believe people must NOT.

But, as usual, the only exercise some people get is when they jump to conclusions!

So thank you for asking, still no idea what imagined slight Leadstaffs has identified, but as I always say, people who are intent on TAKING offence, must be allowed to do so!
I have not identified a slight and I personally have not taken offence, it was simply an observation on my part.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >